Tell me something about yourself that is Amazing, Unbelievable, Surprising or Odd. =)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got pulled out of a bathtub by 2 Snowbird pilots..
I 'fell into' the bathtub, very very drunk..
Mirabel airshow Pilot's party, late 80's

I'm one of the few civilians to have shot a CAF FN on the long range. Also a Full auto SMG
I'm a Canadian remember, guns here are scarce & well regulated!
I got to participate in Trial Embow VII at Cold Lake. It was a Nato exercise and one of the group dinners should have broken world alcohol consumption records. The Italians showed up with many, many, many cases of wine, and things got blurry after that. :cool:

I've driven a drag car on the back tires for about 330 feet. Didn't see the track until I was half way to the 1/8 mi.....

Some might call this a lapse in judgement, but I could see the wall, and it wasn't getting closer, or farther away. Time slip said it was only 3 seconds to the 330 cone. It felt longer.

I rolled my first car...at 50mph...about six or more times...and shut down the Long Island Expressway while they towed me out.

A truck cut me off on the express lane of the L.I.E. in the winter and I got sent into an unplowed slush lane, where my brand new Eagle F1 tires were surprisingly unable to maintain traction. I skidded sideways and hit the heavy snow in the median and then the guardrail, which then pitched me sideways at high speed.

When the car landed back on the wheels, My glove was stuck at the top of the window... apparently while the car was rolling, I had used my left arm to protect my head, but at some point my hand went outside the closed window and I yanked it back by reflex.

The cop who showed up first asked in a rude way "What happened...are you a bad driver?"

I responded with I guess so and explained what happened and then he suddenly acted shocked and concerned...he thought I may have rolled 8-12 times. Initially he thought I only drove onto the median. He even caringly looked me over for injury or shock :) .

What hurt most was a month later I got the credit card bill for the stupid tires.

Last edited:
My great-great-great-great-grandfather is Daniel Boone. My oldest sister and my youngest daughter are named Sara (no H) after one of his relatives. It's a family tradition. Once, back in 2006, my step-daughter rolled an ATV with her youngest sister (Sara) and my oldest biological daughter. The two older girls had to go to the hospital. As the candy-striper was pushing the stepdaughter's gurney to the CT scan, I noticed her name was Sara. Turns out, we were related, through Daniel Boone.

My great-great Uncle Grady was Rex of Mardi Gras in 1939, as verified on the website for Rex. My connection to Daniel Boone is through his wife, Great-great Aunt Sara.

On the genealogy front, one group of my ancestors came over about a decade after the Mayflower. My wife had ancestors on the Mayflower, so there's a decent chance I married my (10th-15th) cousin. That's not terribly unique though, given the number of Mayflower descendants in the US.

On the genealogy front, one group of my ancestors came over about a decade after the Mayflower. My wife had ancestors on the Mayflower, so there's a decent chance I married my (10th-15th) cousin. That's not terribly unique though, given the number of Mayflower descendants in the US.
I’m another. My maternal grandmother’s mother did a bunch of genealogy research in her lifetime and established a link to John Howland. His line has since been extended back to the 15th century.

Other Howland descendants include the Roosevelt and Bush clans.

Through a separate line, it turns out that through my father (not sure from where), I’m a descendant of English king Henry VII. Basically that means that the infamous Henry VIII was my Crazy Uncle® Henry.

I’m another. My maternal grandmother’s mother did a bunch of genealogy research in her lifetime and established a link to John Howland. His line has since been extended back to the 15th century.

Other Howland descendants include the Roosevelt and Bush clans.

Through a separate line, it turns out that through my father (not sure from where), I’m a descendant of English king Henry VII. Basically that means that the infamous Henry VIII was my Crazy Uncle® Henry.
Screenshot_20221205_202241_Google~2.jpg

Couple of quick ones from my Army career as a tanker. Once had my driver, at night, drive us off a 35 foot cliff because he didn't follow my directive to use his IR (infrared) scope. That was an attention getter.
While withdrawing from Iraq during Desert Storm some genius decided to put a refueling station on what was an objective on the way in. One of the guys in my group stepped on a DPICM (dual purpose improved conventional munition) about 15 feet from me. Blew his leg up pretty well and hit 3 other guys. I just got the concussion and noise. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. 😁 Tinnitus reminds me about it constantly.

Imma gonna jump in here and just declare Rob Caswell the thread winner. Talk about a miracle 😆

Me? Well, I drowned when I was 2. But like the guy in Monty Python "I got better" ":^)

The witch was John Cleese's wife of the time, Connie Booth.

I put a shotgun together for Debbie Reynolds. It was ordered by her son, Todd Fisher. I talked to him 6 or 7 times. He said he would try to get Carrie to come to the store. Didn't happen though. I've had Todd Bridges{Different Strokes} as a customer at the gun store I worked at. I talked to him many times. We had Randy Couture{MMA and an Actor} as a customer too.
This golf vacation I was in a house with 4 of my friends that had Covid and didn't catch it. Don't tell my wife. She doesn't know and will never know.
I have 3 Holes in One. One in England, one in Utah and one in Nevada. I've played golf at The Old Course at Saint Andrews and at Carnoustie.
I can take apart and put back together several kinds of submachine guns. I can fix them if there broken. I have fired a lot of machine guns. I make my own exploding rifle targets. I build AR's.
I've seen 9 UFO's in the last 17 years, 5 this year. 2 in one day. One did a 90 degree change of direction. That was a few months ago. And I'm not nuts or easily fooled. Two of them I saw with 2 and 3 other people.
My wife and I went up in a hot air balloon once.

I've seen 9 UFO's in the last 17 years, 5 this year. 2 in one day. One did a 90 degree change of direction. That was a few months ago. And I'm not nuts or easily fooled. Two of them I saw with 2 and 3 other people.
Whoa, so there may be a reason Congress is admitting to UFOs.

I believe I've seen one once...

I was driving in Monroe NY (rural-ish road) very late one night and some noisy helicopter was overhead with very bright lights on...I was driving alone, so figured it may be some military heli doing something. As I took a turn down another road, it seemed to follow and be closer overhead...made quite a racket like a giant vacuum cleaner.

Next thing I know, it's gone...noise and all gone like a light switch. WTH

I'm driven by logic and science and I can't explain it other than UFO. Heck, top secret military has no reason to follow me...I think.

I am the first to fly a CTI motor on U.S. soil. (At least that's what the vendor told me. I have no way to substantiate it.)
I drove a float in the Rose Parade.
I have a bachelor's degree in theater yet work in aerospace, including for two well-known rocket companies.
I have a scar that looks like raw chicken.
I have made over 160 skydives, including two from a balloon, one at night, one in the rain (never again, eff that), and several during Vandenberg rocket launches.

Reminded today by the announcement of the passing of Kirsti Alley, that I got a kiss from Lt. Savik (Robin Curtis), Yeoman Rand (Grace Lee Whitney), and DS9's Leeta (Chase Masterson) at Star Trek Cons.

I also shook Jimmy Doohan's hand at one too.

Last edited:
Muhammad Ali combed my hair when I was 10.
I met Ali in Hartsfield airport in Atlanta flying home for Thanksgiving 1994 my freshman year of college. I was in line at the check in booth when I saw him. I just left all my bags in line and ran over 😂. He wasn’t in good shape then, but he shook my hand. Then I ran to a pay phone and made a collect call to my dad to tell him.

i did some reggae t-shirt art a while back. pictured is a design for the wailers, post bob, which they sold on tour for a while. also did a parody t called buds macsensie, which was featured in high times, but got shut down by budweiser. can't find a photo of that on my 'puter though.

irie.jpg

i did some reggae t-shirt art a while back. pictured is a design for the wailers, post bob, which they sold on tour for a while. also did a parody t called buds macsensie, which was featured in high times, but got shut down by budweiser. can't find a photo of that on my 'puter though.

View attachment 549499
EPIC :bravo:

OK, I have a long resume. I've changed "careers" so many times I've lost count. Been places, seen things and met people.

That said, for this thread, and this forum, I'll reveal this tidbit: I had a very small hand in the DC-X program (the rocket that looks like a salt shaker). It was the "original" lands-on-its-tail rocket that both Bezos and Musk are now profiting off of. Via Dave Brody at the Sci-Fi channel (who I now thinks works for Space.Com), I met Rick Tumlinson, who got us a project doing a bit of 3-D animation for the promotional "sales" video of the project. It was very early 3-D animation and we did it on an Amiga with a Video Toaster using Lightwave.

The animation was part of an overall pitch video that described the entire system and was supposedly shown to Bill Clinton (president at that time), as well as many other places (it showed up on some PBS program that was hyping space travel as well). Anyhow, the thing got the green light and the program went ahead until the damn thing didn't deploy one leg, it landed, tipped over and exploded, and that was kind of the end of that.

And there's my little brush with the space-launch industry.

My brother and I met Robin Williams one on one during the height of his Mork & Mindy fame. I shook his hand and got his autograph.

My apartment building entrance (a single door between a bar and a liquor store...wonderful childhood lol) was chosen to film "The World According to Garp" where Garp and his mom meet the hooker at her/my door.

There was a massive crowd outside and they would periodically start yelling "NANU NANU" in unison LOL

My brother and I sat for hours inside our lobby on the tall stairs watching. The hooker was very nice and she got Robin Williams to greet us personally.

Btw she kept doing deep knee bends in her sexy fishnets hooker outfit in front of my gawking brother and I... only now I'm thinking maybe it was because she was standing for hours.

I've been quoted in the New York Times in a professional capacity. The article was mainly about another naval architect who had just won a MacArthur Genius grant for some fishing boat efficiency ideas that never really made it off the ground. Somehow, my name came up as an expert, so I talked a little about the challenges that idea had for broader acceptance and also some other ideas that weren't as flashy but would also reduce fuel consumption.

I didn't say it was exciting. :D I was also interviewed on camera for one of the Deadliest Catch sidebars, but my performance was too boring to make it to the screen. Apparently, I needed to look like I had just downed my fifth Red Bull in half an hour.

Back