Tell me if im crazy but...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
ok... i would have just done this normally but i figured id be more entertaining as a story...

after a long hard day of skateboarding...

hehe

i was about to go to sleep around 3 am when i got this idea...

3 am and im still a sexy beast

flying pyramid... now yeah i had no idea if this is gonna be stable or not so i decided to ask the guys at the rocketry forum! i took down a few notes and ideas just to see how this would work...

whoohoo! notes and ideas!

and then i made a few 3d sculptures just to see the size i would be dealing with...

pyramid

ok now really... i had the idea... but i didn't know how i would create a retreaval jsystem... then it hit me... the bottom peice would look something along the line of this:

bottom peice

now of course this would be part of the pyramid... the sticks would be on the inside... that would hold the engine mount straitght... now the mount (that would essentially also be the body tube) would look like this:

pretend its a normal mount lol

the sticks on the mount would hold it from going too far in and hitting the top of the pyramid... the streamer would be attached to the tube and the pyramid and when the ejection charge the pyramid would blow off and it would float down...

kinda hard to visualize... basically would this be stable in flight?
(see attachment)

man, i love that drawing you came up with! That's the way all of mine looked until got a monitor to replace my etch-a-sketch... ;)

I've never built a pyramid, but have seen them fly and they are awesome! good luck!

ADV. Fliskit is pleased to announce the "Flying Pyramid"... :D

Seriously though, I have a collection of Political campaign signs that are made of corrugated plastic, that will make nearly indistructable Pyramid rockets. You know the material...political oponents litter your intersections with them during their re-election bid...

You're lucky. All our political parties use signs made from heavy plastic bags, draped over a wire "U" poked into the ground. While these make excellent slingshot targets (and Canadian kids, believing in fairness, pelt all election signs equally regardless of the party that put them there), they make for lousy rocket materials.

Johnnierkt - That is a GREAT idea on the corrugated Plastic. Is it easily bendable? Any idea how big of a sheet you can get?

I built and flew a Pyramid. It's not very big, but flies well on F20 Econojets. it's about 10" on each base side, and is four sided. It originally had a 24mm mount...then I spliced it. Drag recovery. The model is definately showing it's age, due to the all cardboard construction. I suggest filling the nose with resin as I did. Even with the resin, it has about 7 or 8 flights of landing on it's nose, so it's expected that it's punched in, right?;) Fly till they die:) Goes about 200' on an F20.

I am toying with the idea of making a large, 40" tall by 36" base 3 sided pyramid (actually a tetrahedron) to fly at LDRS on a K240, being the first hybrid powered Pyramid that I know of. Don't know if I will get around to it or not.

ok so as long as it'll fly straight... last time i made a rocket without fins and anything you would normally see... well yeah lets just leave it at that and if you want the details i dont wanna post em here... dont want any problems with rocketry...

Latest posts

Back