Telephony?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRF - first we beat a subject to death, because we can'tstand seeing a technical problem that can't be fixed, then we finish off with the jokes. That's why I love this place! Thanks again for the help and the humor!

Okay, plz do not take this as me being a PITA jerk. My original post still holds true for your situation. Reason being, phone jack is old style 2 wire type. Yes, your service is digital VOIP but, it has been converted to old school, tip and ring.

That said, after all the posts that followed mine, I "think" your Internet Gateway (Often incorrectly referred to as a router) may be the issue. It sounds like the gateway is not sensing when your phone goes Off Hook, hence the lack of dial tone. That would point to one of two possibilities. faulty twisted pair cable or faulty Gateway.

Someone in this thread suggested plugging your phone into the Gateway. That is a valid test. If you get dial tone there then it's a wire issue, if you still do not get dial tone, then the problem is the Gateway.

Someone in this thread suggested plugging your phone into the Gateway. That is a valid test. If you get dial tone there then it's a wire issue, if you still do not get dial tone, then the problem is the Gateway.
I believe he did and he does. Take it from someone else who had previously mixed up relevant statements.

Assuming that your phone wiring is corroded and/or rodent compromised and you can't really get to it to for repairs, you may want to just get a power outlet phone jack extender. You connect the "transmitter" to your gateway and plug it into a power outlet, then plug the "receiver" into a power outlet and connect it to your phone/FAX. It's about $100, but that's probably cheaper than hiring somebody to run new phone wiring.

Assuming that your phone wiring is corroded and/or rodent compromised and you can't really get to it to for repairs, you may want to just get a power outlet phone jack extender. You connect the "transmitter" to your gateway and plug it into a power outlet, then plug the "receiver" into a power outlet and connect it to your phone/FAX. It's about $100, but that's probably cheaper than hiring somebody to run new phone wiring.
Not a bad idea at all...

Well, yeah, it must be the wire. The phone is plugged directly into the modem and it works. So even though continuity is ok and resistance matches calculated values, something about that wire - maybe a near-thru crack from flexing or something - it won't carry a signal. So until I get a chance to run another wire, that's how we're rolling for now. Thank God, I don't need to hire that done.

I keep my own router separate from the modem/internet gateway, and even that I bought rather than rent the cable company's. They don't need my wifi passwords!

Thanks to you all - great information and no offense taken to anyone.

The cell phone audio turned out to be something whacked. The idiot phone kept asking me to try wifi calling, so I did. The apparent source of the audio dropping out was the software trying to force the call back to the local tower. Turned off wifi calling, problem went away. Like I say about technology, sometimes the "better" it gets, the worse it gets! 🤓

You will have to change at every phone box.
Most likely problem is at a cable end; unplug each install cable, and look into the crimp area of the rj12 plug. (modular plug, alsl called a 6p6c modular plug.
Lightning runs in on the wires, arcs inside the tiny plug, then it corrodes. this looks blackish green. it absorbs water out of the air, and becomes conductive. Which keeps the line active.
Even if the phone line comes from the cablebox, it's the same voltages.
Change out the phone cables, and see if it works. The larger wire rarely fails.

Oh, this thread woke up again. I’m dying to know how the story ended Tom. Did you just give up on having a land line? Did you get the right wires connected only to have the phone immediately start ringing with extended car warranty offers? Did you touch the phone wires to your tongue to test them and now you have curly hair?

Oh, this thread woke up again. I’m dying to know how the story ended Tom. Did you just give up on having a land line? Did you get the right wires connected only to have the phone immediately start ringing with extended car warranty offers? Did you touch the phone wires to your tongue to test them and now you have curly hair?
Naw, I just gave up and put the base unit in my office, connected directly to the modem. So I still have my land line. If I can get a Round Tuit, I may run a new line. But there are much higher things on the Honeydew list! And then there are rockets...!

Back