Telemetry for video overlay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askrob

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I see some videos have overlays for speed, altitude, and G's. What is the overlay and how does someone get the telemetry data to put on the overlay?

I'm using Eggtimer products. I have a quark and a proton for altimeters. I'm sorry using the eggfinder GPS for location.

Thanks

There is (was?) some freeware out there called Dashware. There are a few threads with some instructions on importing your altimeter data.

And on the Mac there is RaceRender (see @Ronz Rocketz videos for some examples). Again, a steep learning curve.

It looks like on the official DashWare web site they're up to version 1.9.1 rather than going to the third-party site linked to in post #3 above.

That's interesting, because I thought they'd bought/taken over DashWare some time ago (2015 judging by the DashWare terms of use). I wonder what will become of DashWare then....

I searched for any instructions snd they were never very detailed so never got it to display. It seemed like I entered all the data but again it’s not written well to follow or examples so steep learning curve is correct. Even the u tube video of someone entering data sure skipped some steps explaining so really of no use. I hope you find better info than I came up with. When I get an excess of patience I’ll try again but have little hope.

GoPro also sells software for creating telemetry and data overlays.
https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/telemetry-overlay-gps-video-sensors
GoPro doesn't sell this software. It's developed by a third-party developer by the name of Juan Irache. However, I can vouch that for the price of Telemetry Overlay, it is well worth it! I have a video below showing the data from an Eggtimer Proton with a custom Telemetry Overlay dashboard.

Luna Mk III Maiden Flight - ICBM Research and Sport Launch

Back