TeleMetrum - final step in locating rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
My TeleMetrum and TeleBT are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, thanks Chris's Rockets for the fast delivery. I've been reading through the manual and so far this is the only part I'm not following, perhaps because I've never done geo-caching:
"If your rocket lands out of sight, you may enjoy having a hand-held GPS receiver, so that you can put ina way-point for the last reported rocket position before touch-down. This makes looking for your rocket
a lot like Geo-Caching… just go to the way-point and look around starting from there. AltosDroid on an
Android device with GPS receiver works great for this, too!"
OK, so my rocket lands a couple of miles away from the pad, now what? I'm guessing I have to enter the coordinates of the rocket into the GPS receiver to get directions? Or what? Or can I just use Google Map?
Thanks,
Bill

If you have a hand held Android device, download Altusdroid from Google App Store. Start the app & pair your device to TeleBT and it will direct you to last known fix. It's really pretty easy and a great system.

Perfect, thanks. I had downloaded Altusdroid but had not noticed the Recovery tab.

Download the offline maps for your launch site. Most of the time I can just use the azimuth and distance to find my rocket, but sometimes it's easier to look at the map and plan out your route.

Download the offline maps for your launch site. Most of the time I can just use the azimuth and distance to find my rocket, but sometimes it's easier to look at the map and plan out your route.

Beat me to mentioning that. Other thing worth mentioning is the Altus GPS products send a concurrent APRS packet so one can use a standard APRS receive station to track. It won't have all the information that is sent via the Telemetrum
but will have the basic APRS tracking information. Hence, a flier who needs a GPS tracker the size of the TeleGPS can buy one and use their standard APRS receive station to receive and track it. They wouldn't have to buy a TeleDongle
or a TeleBT necessarily although the Altus software is pretty nice to make the TeleBT worthwhile. On air the signal has a characteristic sound and then an APRS "bbbbbrrrrraaaapppp" can be heard in there. Kurt
APRS

You have to configure the TeleMetrum to send the APRS packets. It uses more power when sending both data types.

Last edited:
Back