TeleMetrum Antenna Issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rensr

Reaction score
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-25 at 00.48.40.jpeg
I was trying to fix the antenna to the plate but it broke how can i fix my new problem. Thanks.

You could solder on an female SMA connector and try to solder bridge the end of the center pin to the output capacitor. You would need to buy a 433 MHz antenna instead of using the wire antenna. You might also consider trying to solder a thinner gauge wire to the output capacitor and then securing it with epoxy to the PCB. In either case you will need a temperature controller soldering iron and will need to be careful not to use to much heat or the capacitor will come off the board. There are likely other solutions but those are the first two that come to mind.

Edit: You might also drill a small hole where the pad used to be and pass the wire through the hole and carefully solder to the capacitor. Then epoxy the wire for added strength.

Last edited:
Adding an SMA connector is your best option, it adds strength. I have SMA connectors all of my Altus Metrum products.

Hi, It appers the board i'm using had it's attena snap off in a similar way and was then resoldered directly onto the board, it's now unable to be detected by my groundstation computers attend. The above post seem to imply there's some capacitor that could have also snapped off with it.

Is the naive desoldering directly back on the board likley to cause problems like that ?

IMAGE 2022-06-28 19:43:48.jpg

The SMA connector will provide a rigid and convenient connection off the board to a monopole antenna.

The board below is not a TeleMetrum, but it shows the method of attachment to the board in the same way it would be used. The topside has a central coaxial conductor pin that would be soldered to the output filter inductor on the TeleMetrum where the original wire antenna was attached. The upper and lower ground prongs are soldered to the boards ground pads on both sides. The schematic is the output filter of the TeleMetrum.

Attachments

• TM_output_1.jpg
    TM_output_1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • sma_1.JPG
    sma_1.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 1
  • sma_2.JPG
    sma_2.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The same thing just happened to my Telemetrum. Once I get the SMA connector soldered in place, do I then solder the antenna to the center post? Or do I need to attach a coaxial cable antenna to the new connector?TIA.

The same thing just happened to my Telemetrum. Once I get the SMA connector soldered in place, do I then solder the antenna to the center post? Or do I need to attach a coaxial cable antenna to the new connector?TIA.
No, don’t solder the wire antenna to the board-mounted SMA. You could solder a wire antenna to a mating SMA connector, or just use a suitable SMA monopole antenna.

No, don’t solder the wire antenna to the board-mounted SMA. You could solder a wire antenna to a mating SMA connector, or just use a suitable SMA monopole antenna.
Thanks for the advice. What would you recommend? A monopole antenna, or soldering the old wire antenna to a male counterpart? Are the monopole antennas longer?

Back