Telemega issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a telemega v5. I updated my os to 1.9.11. I cannot get either the teledongle or the telebt to connect with my computer so that I can configure the altimeter. Any ideas? I have also tried to connect the telemega directly to the computer via a usb cable and that doesn't work either.

Hi, I am having the exact same trouble! Telemega, latest 1.9.11.

Altus software is crummy anyways, but it ought to at least pop up some kind of error message!

I looked for an error log file, there isn't one. Terrible.

Edit: this is using latest AltusMetrum download, installed on Win10 laptop.

Addendum to my original post. When trying to use either the telebt or the teledongle I get a rapid flashing red led on the device.

Did you update Altos to 1.9.11, the Telemega firmware to 1.9.11, or the telebt or Teledongle firmware to 1.9.11?
Have you checked Device Manager (assuming you're on Windows) to see what happens when you plug the teledongle or Telemega in? Have you tried rolling back to 1.9.10? Have you rebooted?

Altus software is crummy anyways, but it ought to at least pop up some kind of error message!

After talking to Garbee at Altus I was able to partially solve my problem just by using a different usb cable. Now I am able to communicate with the Telemega using my laoptop. Crazy no? I am still working with them to get the Telebt and Teledongle to communicate with my laptop and tablet. No luck there so far.

After talking to Garbee at Altus I was able to partially solve my problem just by using a different usb cable. Now I am able to communicate with the Telemega using my laoptop. Crazy no? I am still working with them to get the Telebt and Teledongle to communicate with my laptop and tablet. No luck there so far.

Ok, thanks, I'll try a few different cables. Although the one I used works fine with other USB micro devices. Weird, but great if this works

For your telebt, can you connect to it with a phone or touchpad?

Ok, thanks, I'll try a few different cables. Although the one I used works fine with other USB micro devices. Weird, but great if this works

For your telebt, can you connect to it with a phone or touchpad?
Nope.

I was able to partially solve my problem just by using a different usb cable.

ok, I tried several different USB cables, one with gold plated connectors, wooo wooo! nothing helped.

every time, the AltosUI is able to connect and the "monitor idle" window clearly shows the altimeter is running correctly.

But "Configure" does not do anything. no configure window pops up. there is no crash log or anything. just nothing.

I am very frustrated and disappointed. for $400 it better ******* work without any hassles like this. the documentation is extremely poor, the GUI is a total clusterfuck of amateur hour freshman software mistakes, there is no manufacturer support, the retailer can't get it to work either! my advice, do not buy!!! what a piece of ****.

Have you ever run this laptop in a dual screen configuration? I have had an issue before (albeit with a different software) where I ran the software plugged into a second screen, and whenever I open the software without the second screen it still attempts to open one of the pop out windows on the second screen (which is no longer there) and it just wouldn't appear for me unless I plugged in a second monitor. Don't know if that could be the issue or not. I've definitely had plenty of success using this board with a club at school, so it's strange to see it have an issue like this.

I have about a dozen AltusMetrum products and never have experienced the problems you seem to be having. Getting them set up is complex because of all the programming options. What is the physical orientation of the altimeter when you power it up?

When I power up the TM is laying down on the table. I can access it when plugged directly into my laptop but neither the teledongle or the telebt will connect. They show a rapid flashing red led which comes on when I tell the TM to connect so clearly some sort of signal is getting to them which causes the led to start it rapid flashing but there the process stops. Even though my computer recognizes the dongle and the telebt I wonder if there is something in the antimalware causing this problem?

Do you have your call sign configured onto the Telemega? If you have your call sign configured onto it, the mega won’t connect during the monitor idle phase unless you also include your call sign in the box on the monitor idle page. Additionally, if you have McAfee installed I know someone who basically had to uninstall it to allow AltOS to properly function. That could be part of the anti malware problem

Yes I have the call sign properly configured. Somewhere in all the fooling around with the Telebt and Teledongle my laptop said something to the effect that it couldn't connect because it didn't have the proper drivers. But........all the trouble shooting I have been able to do indicates that the drivers are up to date. BTW I get the same rapid red flash when I try to connect using altosdroid.

If you are still having trouble with your Telemega as I was I might have the solution. In my case the order in which I brought things online made a difference. I found that if I first turned on the Telemega, then turned on the Telebt, and then opened the Android app I was able to connect via the app to the TM. It needed to be done in that order. Furthermore I noticed that the Telemega would arbitrarily change freqs on me when I would first turn it on.
Hope this helps.

If you are still having trouble with your Telemega as I was I might have the solution. In my case the order in which I brought things online made a difference.

HI Ric, thanks for this. I have tried everything, all combinations of power on order, etc. nothing works. it's very frustrating.

I am not trying to connect the telemega to android, I am trying to get the altus metrum software to display the configuration page, so I can set my call sign on the telemega.

Occasionally their shitty software on my win10 laptop will connect to the telemega by USB. So I was able to update the telemega firmware to the latest.

but the "configure altimeter" button doesn't start the config app, no new screen is shown.

configure altimeter button works on the other 4 altus metrum products I have, just doesn't work on the telemega. doesn't display any error message or anything. it is a ******* piece of ****. my personal assessment.

I am very frustrated and disappointed.
Been there for sure. I assume you have it sideways when you turn it on? Otherwise it goes into flight mode, which is probably not what you want.

"For flight computers with accelerometers (TeleMetrum, EasyMega, TeleMega and EasyTimer), the mode is selected by the orientation of the board during the self test interval. If the board is pointing upwards as if ready to fly, it will enter Flight/Pad mode. Otherwise, it will enter Idle mode."

Agreed 100% that the documentation is very poor.

Been there for sure. I assume you have it sideways when you turn it on? Otherwise it goes into flight mode, which is probably not what you want.

"For flight computers with accelerometers (TeleMetrum, EasyMega, TeleMega and EasyTimer), the mode is selected by the orientation of the board during the self test interval. If the board is pointing upwards as if ready to fly, it will enter Flight/Pad mode. Otherwise, it will enter Idle mode."

Agreed 100% that the documentation is very poor.

thanks, yes it's flat. that flat vs vertical is a negative feature IMHO, completely surprising to all users. but the config should be able to connect in any mode, if it can't, that's a negative feature too.

Bdale has replied to my contact form, I'll post an update about this when it is resolved.

Back