Teflon streamers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
I really like the idea of using teflon tape as pom-poms to replace wadding, but has anyone ever thought of using strips of that tape, stuffed in the tube, both as wadding AND as streamers for recovery? If we can use it to serve double duty, it could save weight, space, and hassle!

WW

the teflon warrior himself, Mr. TeflonRocketry has done this.....

you can get teflon film in various thicknesses at https://www.mcmaster.com its white.....

heres a .pdf of Bruce Levisons article that was reprinted in NIRA's Leading edge newsletter in 1998...

Bruce's article talks about using PTFE teflon tape..
seems mcmaster-carr has military grade ptfe tape in up to 2" widths in colors!...red/yellow/orange and its only 3 mil .003 thick!

I also have been using plain old plumbers teflon 1/2" and 3/4" teflon tape as "pom-Poms" and streamer since 1991 or 92. I just recently started using 1" 1-1/2" & 2" colored expanded PRFE (teflon) military grade(thicker) sold in 43 foot rolls from McMaster-Carr company. the trick is to talc babypowered the heck out of both sides before the first folding. Works wonderfully, ALL my .281" body micro-maxx models use teflon tape streamer/wadding recovery systems.

This is a great example of stuff thought to be common practice which turns out to be something special. Who'd a thunk'it:D:D

The largest model I've flown the POM-POM's in was a BT-60 super vega... two Pom-Poms each made of 30 - 12" strips of 3/4" plumbers Teflon tape, tied at the center with 70lb kevlar.
hope this helps

Another material you might want to consider for streamers or parachutes iis kapton plastic......it has even higher heat resistance than teflon does.... and then of course you could use kevlar or nomex cloth as streamers or even nomex paper for streamers.....

Can you give us a source for this "kapton plastic".....Or maybe a source for more info on it?

Thanks

sure cajun man...kapton plastic is a polyimide plastic that is/was used for parts of the insulation "blanket" in the space shuttle under its tiles.....

It is a amber/yellowish/dark goldish color and is available from https://www.mcmaster.com or from Jim Fackert at much better prices from Totally Tubular:

https://www.wooshrocketry.org/misc/tt.htm

I notice that he hasn't updated his product listing to include the kapton..just shoot him an email for prices/quantities/sizes..

the last I got from him was .003/.005 in thickness.....

he also has nomex paper as does mcmaster-carr

Never heard of that Shockie...thanks for the tip. You guys are finding new and unique ways to spend my money! ;)

Carl

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
the teflon warrior himself, Mr. TeflonRocketry has done this.....

you can get teflon film in various thicknesses at https://www.mcmaster.com its white.....

heres a .pdf of Bruce Levisons article that was reprinted in NIRA's Leading edge newsletter in 1998...

Shockwaveriderz thanks for posting the link to my Teflon Rocketry article. Teflon streamers and Teflon parachutes dont require wadding since Teflon melts at 450F, where as most common plastics like nylon and polyethylene melt around 230F.

I also discovered that McMaster also sells Teflon Coated Quartz Thread that is rated to 2000F:
PTFE-Coated Quartz Thread

0.014" thread diameter 100 yards/spool 12lbs tensile strength Part number 6373K88 $18.69

0.017" thread diameter 100yards/spool 20lbs tensile strength Part number 6373K89 $24.33

Should make great parachute shroud lines.

I have thought about making a heavy duty no waddinr required parachute out of the Tear Resistant PTFE coated Fiberglass Fabric, Maximum temperature is 500° F:
Tear-Resistant Fabric- Color is tan.
.003" Thick 371/2" Width 4.1 oz/sq. yd. part number 8876K81 $9.35

Too bad McMaster doesn't sell the expanded PTFE pipe thread sealant tape in wider rolls. I have several complete parachutes made from expanded PTFE film. They work great, no wadding required!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Back