Technique Wanted - Temporary Paper on Plywood

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
I have an art project where I need to temporarily attach/bind 20# paper to plywood for something like a stencil. The rough dimensions of the paper are 3'6" x 4'6". After the stencil is complete I need to remove the paper and stain the wood.

Anyone have a process that would work for something like this?

Greg

Ok... My idea:

If you're cutting the stencil out, you could spray adhesive to the back side of the ply, and apply the face of the stencil to the back of the ply, then cut it out, and sand off your paper.

Rubber cement works really well for that purpose. I spread it on the paper first so that it doesn't get a chance to soak into the wood.

Ok... My idea:

If you're cutting the stencil out, you could spray adhesive to the back side of the ply, and apply the face of the stencil to the back of the ply, then cut it out, and sand off your paper.

I had considered something like this, but it seemed like a lot of work.

Then I ran across this, which looks like a pretty good solution:

I do a lot of scrollsaw work and use either Elmer’s or Duro spray adhesive to glue up patterns, both should be available at wally world or HD or Lowe’s. Also I put blue painters tape on the wood first then glue the pattern to the tape, makes for real easy removal, some people will use clear packing tape instead of the blue tape, but I found that the blue tape leaves no residue.
-- Greg S.E. Ga. www.thesawdustfactory.net

Link

Greg

The blue tape idea sounds great. I'm going to have to file that one away.

Back