TDD SUCKS!!! ;o) (Wisconsin TDD launch)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KermieD

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm sitting here, looking at these two BEAUTIFULLY (if you're lucky enough to have seen these, you'll know what I mean) built and finished Deuces that arrived at my door in perfect condition (DAMMIT!). Tomorrow, I head down to NARCON, knowing that I get (have) to launch these in front of a national audience (what the @&#$ was I thinking again?), knowing that Murphy (you know, the guy who wrote the Law) has never been my friend since the day I was born.

Eugene, Jason....YOU SUCK!!!! :kill:

;)

Pics to come....

ROTFLMAO!

Thanks Kermie... I couldn't have thunk that up myself. Oh, I have a word for you if you want to get a finish like that...

KRYLON!

I've fallen in love with Krylon - you use it right, and you'll get a beautiful PAINT job everytime. Now the fillets and such - that's another story. :eek:

Jim, you're a lucky dog! You get to see them more often than I do! I guess I need some moolah to pay for plane trips...that would be fun! Yeah right...there's no way MOM would allow that... :eek:

Jason

Oh, Kermie....you sure you wasn't just sucking up to us so when Fliskits sponsors the Tour De Tres we'll select you? ;) :D :D

Just kidding Jim! Sheesh...

Jason

I have been having this same problem. Every time I see a Mention of the Tour I think "those rockets are going to fly perfectly everywhere, then they are going to get to me and I am going to screw it up"

LOL i hope it doesnt happen

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I have been having this same problem. Every time I see a Mention of the Tour I think "those rockets are going to fly perfectly everywhere, then they are going to get to me and I am going to screw it up"

LOL i hope it doesnt happen

Someone's gonna have to mess it up sometime! ;) No pressure Kermie! Really though - that's why there's the FlisKits parts department, CyA, and two crafty builders standing by for repairs. Our biggest concern is someone hanging the rockets up high in a tree or in some other recoverable location. Worst come last, we finish the Tour with only one Deuce. I hate to even start thinking like that this early in the game, so off the bad luck talk about the Tour!

Good luck to ya Kermie and Jim. I'm sure everything will work out fine. Who's this Murphy guy anyways? ;)

SO?!!!? Any updates for today?! Did they fly??

Daddies wanna know! :D :D ;)

Jason

I just got back from NARCON, and, yes, the Deuces DID fly and were a big hit both at the launch and on Jim's display table at the convention. It was quite cold and windy out (gawd, you'd think a New Englander like Jim could handle the cold better than that!).

The first launch weathercocked severely, but deployment was perfect and we didn't have more than a few feet to walk to get it back.

2nd launch was straight and perfect, even in the winds. Here it comes, though. Ack! On the 2nd launch, a couple of the shroud lines got tangled with the thin Kevlar going from the big strap to the NC, causing it to reef the chute. No biggie. It's pretty windy anyway and now we don't have to chase the rocket now, right? Errrr....the rocket comes down right in the gravel road.

Jason, BREATHE! It's okay!! Really!! There is some minor cosmetic damage to one fin, the nose cone, and a part of the body tube (holy crap did you guys build those things strong! This bird should have been toast). Jim took some very detailed pictures of what happened and will send them to you guys on Tuesday or Wednesday when he gets home. It's up to you guys as to whether you want it back to repair the dings or if you just want to pass it on to have the next guy fill in the dings.

At any rate, they are fine and resting comfortably here in the living room. I will ship them either to the next leg or to E&J as you guys see fit. I'm exhausted, but will put up pics soon.

Big congrats on a successful launch Kermie...I hope you and Jim had a good time! Glad to hear the birds faired well, minus a few nicks which was inevitable. At least is happened and now they should be good for a while...Well done!

Where's the pics? ;)

Carl

Carl, ran into a buddy of yours down there too. He's from Cinci and works for COMAIR in their IT support department. I happen to be having a brain fart on his name at the moment. We both had a good chuckle at the expense of your A/R tendencies. ;)

YAHOO! Congrats Kermie - you're job is done...gonna hafta buy you a drink (non-alcoholic, thank you) some day!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

What?! Damage?! AIEEEEEE!!!!

Nah, just kidding. Me and Eugene will take a look at those pictures when Jim sends them to us and make a decision then. We have a busy month in March with three states, then April starts off with just one state, then we have a two week break until Whitakers. If we decide that the damage is minor enough, we'll let the DW's come to us after the first launch in April, then take them with us to the Whitakers launch OR ship them to the volunteer before that. That'll be a decision we'll make then.

Damage is to be expected. It's not a life-or-death issue.

Congrats Jon! :D :D :cool:

Jason

Jim and I toyed with the idea with painting a body tube blue and yellow, smacking it into the ground, and putting a pile of blue and yellow balsa laying around. We were going to snap a picture and send it to you guys. :D

Oh, by the way, it was Jim's idea. Shhhhh! :cool:

Originally posted by KermieD
Carl, ran into a buddy of yours down there too. He's from Cinci and works for COMAIR in their IT support department. I happen to be having a brain fart on his name at the moment. We both had a good chuckle at the expense of your A/R tendencies. ;)

That would be Scott "Double martini, shaken, stirred, who cares?" McCrate. He was a poster on here in the early days of the forum, but he only seems to lurk at Yahoo Old Rockets of late. Scott says he's in IT Support, but I suspect he's really in charge of winding the big rubber band, which is the job I held at ComAir when I was a freshman in college.

LOL!! That's the guy, but this weekend, I believe it was straight whiskey on the rocks, not martinis. Bill, he mentioned you as well and I had forgotten till just now. He also specifically mentioned your sense of humor and that you were going to come to NARCON with him but had some lame excuse for leaking out.

Great job Kermie! It was really cool to see the dueces fly! I would also like to congratulate both Jason and Eugene on their execellent construction skills! I have flown at Bong before. That gravel road and the Class 5 runway is almost as hard as concrete. Many an Eggs-tranaught has met his demise on that field. Jim let me hold the duece in question while he took some pictures of another duece launch. I was wondering how heavy the duece was going to be after it was fiberglassed. It was extremely light!!:D :cool: I am very impressed! Lightweight and built like a sherman tank...., I'm going to have to learn how to fiberglass sometime!

I did the 1 hr photo thing at Wal Mart when I got back so some pics are coming...

Holy crap!! That was you holding the other Deuce? ROFL!!

That would make you the crazy guy who waded into the freezing cold pond to grab my Packer rocket too, wouldn't it?

Holy crap!! That was you holding the other Deuce? ROFL!!
Yep, that was me! What are us TRFers for anyways:p
After I broke through the ice and got my boots wet, with that nice rocket just soooo close taunting me..., I said to myself what the heck, go for it! :D Judging by the clump of cattails sticking out, I guessed that it wouldn't be much more than knee deep, I was only off a couple inches. Didn't even get my pockets wet...
My truck was so warm after letting it run the whole time, I almost started to sweat on my way back to the hotel.
I've gotta get me a longer pole!:p

LOL!! It wasn't that close. You shoulda introduced yourself when you were holding the other Deuce.

Originally posted by KermieD
LOL!! That's the guy, but this weekend, I believe it was straight whiskey on the rocks, not martinis. Bill, he mentioned you as well and I had forgotten till just now. He also specifically mentioned your sense of humor and that you were going to come to NARCON with him but had some lame excuse for leaking out.

I BEG your pardon! I prefer "wimping out" if you don't mind.
True, I was hoping to go, and if it had been later in the month I definitely would have figured a way, but my girls basketball team had their season ending tournament on Saturday. I'd have felt like a heel missing it. (We wound up 0-13, so the difference I made was miniscule. Next year I have a suspicion that I won't be involved in this and I can't say I'm sorry.) I was strangely drawn to the idea of talking rockets with a beer in my hand. That has the most incredible appeal to me, but it only seems to happen when my brother in law and I get together. I was even going to brave Chicago traffic, that's how committed I was. (I'm not a man who scares easily, but rush hour in Chicago about did me in last summer.)

ahh, don't you just love bong? With all the trees.....lakes..... the rocket eating gravel runway ...... wait a minute!

Back