TCC October Skies - Oct 17-19 - Central California (near Fresno, CA)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be there Saturday. I'd like to be there in time for the safety briefing at 9AM, but I honestly doubt I'll get the clan out the door by 7:15AM. More likely I'll get there around 10AM.

I'll be there about 8 or 9 PM Friday night till very early Sunday morning, plan is to be on the road at 7 or 8 AM.

Is it too late to sign up for a shirt? Or should I just plan to try to buy one on site Saturday morning?

The cut off to sign up for shirts was Monday. They should have a few spares though.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

We had a great time yesterday. We even had fun doing a stint as LCO and head raffle ticket puller. We had so much fun that my kids asked if we could stay for the night launch. So, took a break and got some pizza and came back around 6:30. We didn't get home until 10:45, but it was worth it. It was great spending time with ThirstyBarbarian. Thanks for saving me a spot.

View attachment 187963

View attachment 187953

[YOUTUBE]ahpt81EWN40[/YOUTUBE]

We had a great time yesterday. We even had fun doing a stint as LCO and head raffle ticket puller. We had so much fun that my kids asked if we could stay for the night launch. So, took a break and got some pizza and came back around 6:30. We didn't get home until 10:45, but it was worth it. It was great spending time with ThirstyBarbarian. Thanks for saving me a spot.

View attachment 187963

View attachment 187953

[YOUTUBE]ahpt81EWN40[/YOUTUBE]

Chris, it was a lot of fun hanging out with you Christine, Jacob, and Sami. Your kids are expert ticket pullers --- I ended up winning a nomex chute protector and a Red Flare E2X kit. Great job on your cert flight and the video.

This was a really great event! Everything was very well organized, even on a hectic Saturday when I think they did something like 50 cert flights.

I was able to get my L1 cert, and I'm very grateful for that. I did my cert flight on Friday before I had met up with most of the TRF members, so I don't think anyone who is a regular poster on the forum actually witnessed it. If anyone did see it go up, and especially if you have any pictures or video, please let me know. I prefer to watch my own rockets fly with my eyeballs and not watch a small viewfinder screen. So I have no pictures. Anyway, it was a really good flight with the MDRM pod rocket on H115DM drilled to 6 seconds. The rocket is slow and draggy, so I do not think it broke 1,000 feet (sim said 884, and I would guess that is about right). That was my first sparky motor, and it was a lot of fun. The delay was probably just a hair early --- I think it was still traveling upward but not at all fast when the chute deployed. I bought an H182R and flew it later that same day for a victory lap. That's also a nice motor.

Not long after my cert flight, I met up with SCrocketfan and was able to watch his L1 flight. Congratulations to you, SC!

On Saturday, I met up with ChrisAttebery and his family and was able to see his L2 flight. It was a really great flight, Chris!

I also got to see Ari fly the incredible Have Pink glider successfully twice on Saturday. Both Saturday flights were great, especially the J90. I also witnessed the unfortunate crash on Sunday. That was really too bad, but at least it went out in spectacular fashion. I'm sorry about the loss, Ari.

I also chatted for a while with Timro. Good to see you!

It was great to see everyone. Unfortunately, I did not see the Captain or Old Dude. But I did hear the Awareness rocket announced over the loudspeaker, so I was able to see her go up in all her glory. Great flight, Captain!

On Saturday the wind was a bit stronger than Friday, and it calmed down again on Sunday. But unfortunately all day Saturday it seemed like the breeze was carrying rockets into the adjacent field that was being irrigated, and the mud there was just awful. It was like some kind of incredibly sticky adobe muck, and when you came out of the field, you would have two huge muddy globs where your feet used to be. After completely caking my only pair of shoes and having to clean 2 rockets I decided to sit out most of the rest of Saturday until the night launch and just enjoyed the other rocketeers' flights.

The night launch was awsome. There were some truly amazing lighted rockets, and the bright sparky motors were really cool too. SCrocket fan had one of those with a ton of programable LEDs and a nice sparky motor --- it was really impressive. I didn't bring anything for the night launch, but Fruity Chutes was selling these little LED button lights, each with it's own battery and super bright flashing LEDs in various colors. I got a dozen of those and stuck them all over my Big Daddy. I didn't have a motor for this rocket, so I borrowed an E9-6 --- maybe not the best choice, but still a very fun flight. The rocket did a spectacular arc and impacted the ground. Timing was perfect, because the ejection charge blew at the exact instant it hit the ground, and half the LED buttons flew off into the air, so it looked like the rocket exploded on impact. That got a good chuckle out of everyone. ChrisAttebery and crew helped my find the rocket and gather the stray buttons, and it was perfectly flyable again. I got a pack of E12-4's from Visalia Hobbies and sent it up once more for a successful flight. I decided to try it a third time, and this time the chute did not deploy at all. It lawndarted hard, and this time was severely damaged.

Mike at BAR, thanks for the motors for the cert flight and subsequent victory laps!

John and the Robotics crew, thanks for the food!

Visalia Hobbies, thanks for the motors for the night flights!

Fruity Chutes, thanks for the LED button lights for the night flights!

TCC, thanks for a really good weekend!

Thirsty, we had a great time hanging out with your too. We'll have to meet up at Snow Ranch when (if?) LUNAR starts launching there again.

BTW: Your night flights were awesome. I'm sorry that the rocket was damaged, but it was really funny watching the the LEDs flying and then seeing the ejection charge pop. The good thing was it was easy to find everything in the dark.

BTW: Your night flights were awesome. I'm sorry that the rocket was damaged, but it was really funny watching the the LEDs flying and then seeing the ejection charge pop. The good thing was it was easy to find everything in the dark.

That first flight and lawn dart with the flying LEDs and ejection charge really was funny! It's too bad about the final crash, but I've had trouble with that rocket several times with the chute not deploying, so I'm not surprised or even all that sad to have to rebuild it. I want to extend the BT a bit more so the recovery doesn't have to be squeezed in so tight --- I think that is the root of the problem.

We'll, meet up with you again whenever Snow Ranch gets enough rain to open the season. My wife is definitely up for coming out and meeting Christine and the family.

Captain Low-N-Slow and I were all the way down at the west end of the line of camps, tarps, and pop-ups.

Timro was a few spaces closer to the LCO desk and I had the opportunity to check out his minimum diameter bird. If you've never seen any close up photos of his rockets I can tell you he is a meticulous builder.

I'm pretty sure I saw Chris Atteberry's L2 re-cert because a LOC Dooknob is pretty easy to spot...especially with a killer bee paint scheme...but I never ran into him on the field.

David Robb was present...how could he not be...he's the hardest working man in rocketry and travels all around the nearby states to attend/participate in launches. This iteration of the October Skies was the first time I don't recall actually not seeing any of his flights. He puts up a lot flights over the course of the day but I just didn't see them.

I had a nice chat with Gene Engelnau from Fruity Chutes and saw his 7.5"(?) stubby bird boost on an L Dark Matter motor which was the textbook definition of shock and awe.

A couple of local fliers from SARG were on the scene and I "helped" Dick J solder an LED strip on his Thumper Jr. Helped in the sense that I held the wires while he applied the solder. Unfortunately I didn't stay long enough to see the night launches.

Bay Area Rocketry was where I dropped a lot of money buying components for my Polecat Aerospace Goblin and other birds (FruityChutes 42" chute, 21" nomex blanket, I212SS motor, 3" couplers, 3" payload bay tube, etc.)

All in all I had a good time "rocket bonding" with like-minded individuals, shopping for rocketry gear, and watching a lot of awesome flights, but wish I could have put up at least one flight. The thought of my geezerly self dredging through the muck was a bit unappealing to me seeing as how I had driven down in the comfortable new car. Had I taken the Bronco, the story might have been different: More money spent on gas, less spent on rocketry gear, but I might have put a rocket up.

I"m three trips down to TCC and have only one flight to show for it.

Captain Low-N-Slow and I were all the way down at the west end of the line of camps, tarps, and pop-ups.

Timro was a few spaces closer to the LCO desk and I had the opportunity to check out his minimum diameter bird. If you've never seen any close up photos of his rockets I can tell you he is a meticulous builder.

I'm pretty sure I saw Chris Atteberry's L2 re-cert because a LOC Dooknob is pretty easy to spot...especially with a killer bee paint scheme...but I never ran into him on the field.

David Robb was present...how could he not be...he's the hardest working man in rocketry and travels all around the nearby states to attend/participate in launches. This iteration of the October Skies was the first time I don't recall actually not seeing any of his flights. He puts up a lot flights over the course of the day but I just didn't see them.

I had a nice chat with Gene Engelnau from Fruity Chutes and saw his 7.5"(?) stubby bird boost on an L Dark Matter motor which was the textbook definition of shock and awe.

A couple of local fliers from SARG were on the scene and I "helped" Dick J solder an LED strip on his Thumper Jr. Helped in the sense that I held the wires while he applied the solder. Unfortunately I didn't stay long enough to see the night launches.

Bay Area Rocketry was where I dropped a lot of money buying components for my Polecat Aerospace Goblin and other birds (FruityChutes 42" chute, 21" nomex blanket, I212SS motor, 3" couplers, 3" payload bay tube, etc.)

All in all I had a good time "rocket bonding" with like-minded individuals, shopping for rocketry gear, and watching a lot of awesome flights, but wish I could have put up at least one flight. The thought of my geezerly self dredging through the muck was a bit unappealing to me seeing as how I had driven down in the comfortable new car. Had I taken the Bronco, the story might have been different: More money spent on gas, less spent on rocketry gear, but I might have put a rocket up.

I"m three trips down to TCC and have only one flight to show for it.

I think the reason I didn't run into you guys is that I didn't go any further west than my own camp. I was very close to the last set of port a pots, and you must have been further down the line. I think I said earlier I ran into David Robb, but I think I got a wire crossed, and it was someone else --- I've got enough trouble keeping names and faces straight as is, and when I try to also connect a real-world name and face to a TRF handle, it gets even worse.

Old Dude, don't let the recovery walk keep you from flying. Next time I'm bringing rubber boots, and I'll help retrieve if you point me in the right direction. (I have trouble finding them, but I don't mind walking out to get them, assuming I've got the right footwear.)

I'm sorry I missed talking with you Kit. Maybe next time.

I think I'm going to suggest that my son start a rocket retrieval service at the next launch. I'll bring some rubber boots, a tyvek suit and gloves and tell to have at it. He'd make a killing I'm sure.

The mud was incredible. I have mud on everything, head to toe. My feet were fully encased in adobe blobs when I came out of that field. There was mud in my shoe and on my socks. The cuffs of my pants were muddy. I got mud all over my shirt carrying the rocket on my shoulder. And then a gust of wind blew my hat off right into the muck! I have mud on my hat! How often do you come home from a launch with mud on your hat?

I am going to throw my recovery harness into the washing machine with my shoes, socks, pants, shirt, and hat.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you In person Kit - I was at the far eastern end of the flight line.
It was interesting where the mud was. I had a high flight on Saturday afternoon that was motor eject at about 3200 feet, and I feared the worst. It drifted into the far southeastern side of the adjacent 'muddy field', but it turned out to be a long, dry walk.

On the flip side, my 14lb Formula 98 with dual deploy barely crossed the road, and the AV bay missed the irrigation ditch by only 18 inches. (I was the guy yelling at the kids to "put the rocket down! Don't touch it!"). No harm done, but it would have been expensive had the electronics taken a bath.

In any event, it was fun flying.

Captain Low-N-Slow and I were all the way down at the west end of the line of camps, tarps, and pop-ups. We got there first Friday AM.

I was camped out next to Aaron Hagedorn's popup/trailer and he was next to BAR (center of the line across form LCO table).

You probably walked past my camp and it normally looked like this since I was out launching or recovering.

camp 1.jpg camp 2.jpg

I planned only three launches a day. I was concerned about "Cert-a-geddon" taking all the pads (unfounded due the great work by TCC crew).

I posted a report/video of my flights at this link

On the flip side, my 14lb Formula 98 with dual deploy barely crossed the road, and the AV bay missed the irrigation ditch by only 18 inches. (I was the guy yelling at the kids to "put the rocket down! Don't touch it!"). No harm done, but it would have been expensive had the electronics taken a bath.
Hah! Then we did see each other but just didn't know it.

I was up near where the kids were and did a "bucket brigade" by passing on your yells: "He said not to pick up the rocket so DON'T PICK UP THE ROCKET!"

Your bird was awfully close to the ditch. My Madcow Squat has a habit of finding the only water on any given field and prefers to swim (poorly) rather than fly.

I forgot to post Thirsty's night launch video. Unfortunately I stopped the camera right before it lawn darted. It was really funny watching the stick on LEDs scatter and then the ejection charge went off a couple seconds later.

[YOUTUBE]0bBjdzn5hKk[/YOUTUBE]

I forgot to post Thirsty's night launch video. Unfortunately I stopped the camera right before it lawn darted. It was really funny watching the stick on LEDs scatter and then the ejection charge went off a couple seconds later.

[YOUTUBE]0bBjdzn5hKk[/YOUTUBE]

Ha ha! That was a really funny launch.

It's too bad the end of the flight didn't get captured because it really did look like it exploded on impact! Thanks for you help in finding it and gathering the LEDs.

I flew it again later on a more appropriate motor and had one perfect flight. Then flew it again for what might have been the very last night flight that night --- almost everyone had wandered off by then. That final flight went up nice and straight, and the ejection charge was timed correctly, but the chute did not deploy (this has always been a problem with that rocket). It came down ballistic and hit really hard! The LEDS were scattered all over the place, but I found most of them. The rocket is in a box awaiting repairs or parting out --- I'm not sure which.

Anyway, thanks for posting the video. The night launch was a lot of fun!

No Dairy Aire for me unless I have a functional DD bird.

I'm probably allergic to mud, long chases, and high winds. Especially high winds.

I'm also going to plan for a night launch rocket. Thinking a Mini-Magg would be be just the ticket.

I have got to stay for the night launch next time.

It was definitely a lot of fun! My rocket was certainly among the least sophisticated of the bunch, just a Big Daddy with a bunch of little LED blinky button lights stuck on it with double sided tape. There were some really amazing programmable lighting displays on a few of the rockets, and some flew on amazing sparky motors.

Last edited:
It's kind of a requirement to night launch on a sparky (when possible)
CIMG1124.jpg
My Partizon on a G80 skid (with 5 meters of 3-color LED tape)

Attachments

• CIMG1124.jpg
    CIMG1124.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 42
It's kind of a requirement to night launch on a sparky (when possible)
View attachment 245756
My Partizon on a G80 skid (with 5 meters of 3-color LED tape)

That was such a cool launch! I think you had one of the best night rockets there.

For those who were not there, this rocket was not just the brilliant blue in the picture. It could produce a whole spectrum of incredible colors. It was super bright. And it could make amazing programable patterns. Just seeing it on the pad was entertaining. The sparky motor at night was really fantastic.

Thanks! It was a really fun flight. I'd only flown that Partizon once without lights (F50-4) and it's now my go-to night flying rocket. The lighting rig added about 4 oz, so even on the G80 it probably only got to around 800 feet. Next night flight I think I'll try a G106 skid, which has a bit more impulse.

Back