Tazz build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

aerojacket

Reaction score
On the same trip where I spotted the Lunar scout, I also saw the Tazz and grabbed it since (a) it was marked down and (b) it is something different than 3FAANC.

Per the plans, the ailerons (for want of a better term) are attached to the fixed fins with stickers prior to painting. I figure that the stickers will adhere better to a painted surface, so I didn't exactly follow instructions. (In other words, not much has changed since 2nd grade). I went ahead and built the entire fin assemblies, which made it easy to get everything square. I have some pieces of square extrusion that were perfect for making sure the fins were at 90-degrees (see photos). After getting the smaller fins installed, it was time to glue the main fins to the fuselage. I again employed the square extrusions, putting glue on the fin roots and weights on the fins so that they were both parallel to the table. The fuselage was allowed to "float", with the result that the fins wound up lined up with each other. The launch lug was installed 90-degrees to the fins.
The small fins have interlocking tabs, with one going forward and the other aft. Otherwise, the fins (at this point) are identical. The instructions warn to make two identical fin assemblies, not mirrors of each other. Makes sense: if they mirrored each other, the fins would deflect as delta-wing flaperons instead of deflecting in opposite directions to induce spin. I figure that the stickers can be added after painting, taking care to make sure that the stickers are such that the ailerons go in opposite directions.
At the moment, it is in the "paint booth". More later.
IMG_0767.jpg
DSCF9283.JPG
DSCF9280.JPG

More later.

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Mine blew a port hole in the side on its second flight. Thin CA and tape fixed it. The rocket eventually landed in a condo complex on a C6-3 and couldn’t find it. Eventually built a Gyroc to replace it.

aerojacket

Reaction score
After the paint was dry, it was time to attach the ailerons. I cut the adhesive strips into rhomboids appx 1.5" wide and put them on either side of the vertical fins. The hinge strips are meant to be applied flat across the hinge line on the side that the fin moves to, and be folded into the hinge line on the side that the fin moves from. Make sure this happens on opposite sides, or you'll get a delta wing instead of a twister. The strips are plenty sticky, but even so use the edge of a credit card or something to get them stuck down good. (That shriek is the sound of the grammar sticklers...) . In spite of my best OCD efforts, one of the ailerons isn't snugged up perfectly on the hinge line. It won't affect anything and trying to redo it would tear things up, but it's there and I see it. Just dang. Note that even without the rubber bands, the hinge tape makes the ailerons want to deflect.
Also in spite of my best efforts, the ailerons aren't exactly straight to the main fins for launch. I'll put some small spacers or something on the retainer bracket tabs so that the fins are straight during boost phase, otherwise it'll be spiraling on the way up. Which, come to think of it, might be just as well.
The last thing I did was to attach the rubber band hooks. I put dabs of epoxy under them so they wouldn't turn, and then a dab on the pin and retainer so they won't come off. Again, make sure they are on opposite sides of the fins and that the open end of the hooks face fore and aft. The plastic fin retainer rings were both epoxied in place, checking for fin alignment (which as noted above, still doesn't always work as desired...)
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg
IMG_0806.jpgIMG_0795.jpgIMG_0797.jpgIMG_0803.jpg

I painted the nose cone with the masking just aft of the shoulder so that there wouldn't be any white line showing when it was glued into place. And make sure that you remember to glue it to the fuselage, something we don't do very often. Trim the stickers closely and they'll all fit nicely.

I have no idea when I'll have a chance to launch it, but it was a fun build and something to work on while sitting through long zoom calls.

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea when I'll have a chance to launch it, but it was a fun build and something to work on while sitting through long zoom calls.
Looking good. Stick with B6-4 and you’ll be fine.

I was called out on a Zoom call when I forgot to mute and they could hear the sanding noise. I now have Krisp which filters out extraneous sounds.

Rktman

Eric
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I figure that the stickers will adhere better to a painted surface, so I didn't exactly follow instructions. (In other words, not much has changed since 2nd grade).
Same here, I've noticed that self-adhesive tape, stickers, etc. will always adhere better to a smooth finish. I guess there's not much to "grab" on bare balsa or other porous surfaces, so I'll even lay down a layer of dope on my gliders where I'll be attaching any tape hinges etc.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On the same trip where I spotted the Lunar scout, I also saw the Tazz and grabbed it since (a) it was marked down and (b) it is something different than 3FAANC.

Per the plans, the ailerons (for want of a better term) are attached to the fixed fins with stickers prior to painting. I figure that the stickers will adhere better to a painted surface, so I didn't exactly follow instructions. (In other words, not much has changed since 2nd grade). I went ahead and built the entire fin assemblies, which made it easy to get everything square. I have some pieces of square extrusion that were perfect for making sure the fins were at 90-degrees (see photos). After getting the smaller fins installed, it was time to glue the main fins to the fuselage. I again employed the square extrusions, putting glue on the fin roots and weights on the fins so that they were both parallel to the table. The fuselage was allowed to "float", with the result that the fins wound up lined up with each other. The launch lug was installed 90-degrees to the fins.
The small fins have interlocking tabs, with one going forward and the other aft. Otherwise, the fins (at this point) are identical. The instructions warn to make two identical fin assemblies, not mirrors of each other. Makes sense: if they mirrored each other, the fins would deflect as delta-wing flaperons instead of deflecting in opposite directions to induce spin. I figure that the stickers can be added after painting, taking care to make sure that the stickers are such that the ailerons go in opposite directions.
At the moment, it is in the "paint booth". More later. View attachment 484029View attachment 484032View attachment 484033

More later.
Nice work!

cbwho

Reaction score
if they mirrored each other, the fins would deflect as delta-wing flaperons instead of deflecting in opposite directions to induce spin.
Would a delta wing flap arrangement still work as a recovery technique? Would it do loops on the way down?

I'm building one now since my son's and mine flying season is when the lakes freeze. (A big side benefit, by having a season of rocketry, it increases interest dramatically this time of year. ) I paper fins and don't paint, but those stickers drove my nuts as they are precut, I'd rather have them oversized and trim after placement. My recommendation is to use 3M packing tape

Aeronerd

LPR, Gliderholic
Reaction score
After the paint was dry, it was time to attach the ailerons. I cut the adhesive strips into rhomboids appx 1.5" wide and put them on either side of the vertical fins. The hinge strips are meant to be applied flat across the hinge line on the side that the fin moves to, and be folded into the hinge line on the side that the fin moves from. Make sure this happens on opposite sides, or you'll get a delta wing instead of a twister. The strips are plenty sticky, but even so use the edge of a credit card or something to get them stuck down good. (That shriek is the sound of the grammar sticklers...) . In spite of my best OCD efforts, one of the ailerons isn't snugged up perfectly on the hinge line. It won't affect anything and trying to redo it would tear things up, but it's there and I see it. Just dang. Note that even without the rubber bands, the hinge tape makes the ailerons want to deflect.
Also in spite of my best efforts, the ailerons aren't exactly straight to the main fins for launch. I'll put some small spacers or something on the retainer bracket tabs so that the fins are straight during boost phase, otherwise it'll be spiraling on the way up. Which, come to think of it, might be just as well.
The last thing I did was to attach the rubber band hooks. I put dabs of epoxy under them so they wouldn't turn, and then a dab on the pin and retainer so they won't come off. Again, make sure they are on opposite sides of the fins and that the open end of the hooks face fore and aft. The plastic fin retainer rings were both epoxied in place, checking for fin alignment (which as noted above, still doesn't always work as desired...)View attachment 484522View attachment 484523View attachment 484524View attachment 484525View attachment 484522View attachment 484523View attachment 484524View attachment 484525

I painted the nose cone with the masking just aft of the shoulder so that there wouldn't be any white line showing when it was glued into place. And make sure that you remember to glue it to the fuselage, something we don't do very often. Trim the stickers closely and they'll all fit nicely.

Really nice build!

aerojacket

Reaction score
Would a delta wing flap arrangement still work as a recovery technique? Would it do loops on the way down?

I'm building one now since my son's and mine flying season is when the lakes freeze. (A big side benefit, by having a season of rocketry, it increases interest dramatically this time of year. ) I paper fins and don't paint, but those stickers drove my nuts as they are precut, I'd rather have them oversized and trim after placement. My recommendation is to use 3M packing tape
I don't know whether it would do loops or just enter a very high drag deep stall flight regime. Without the weight of the engine and engine pod, I'm thinking it would just do a flat-spin(ish) tumble. It would be interesting to build another one just to see what happens. Hmmmm

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Looks good, she is a fun build. Even though you can see the grain, it still looks smooth. Once again, good job.......