Tax Return Delays?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting my federal tax return this year was a comedy of errors with the USPS losing the first one (I assume at this point), Nothing happening with my second attempt (Which I JUST got back after sending it in mid April, returned because my wife and I forgot to sign it after printing it).

The third time we filed electronically right before the due date and successfully got our refund a few weeks later, but only because I discovered you can actually fill out an online form and file for free on the IRS website. I consider Turbotax and the like to be rip-offs and refuse to use them.

To actually answer your question, yes, you should be concerned. You have no way of knowing for sure if your form was lost in the mail and you'll never get an answer from the IRS because they don't know either. If you try filing again though they might consider you late and assess a penalty.
I buy HR block Deluxe for anywhere from $20.00-25.00. Not bad. And since IRS does not want paper copies and I assumed there is a greater chance of audit, then do it.....not that bad a deal. This year 10 days for refund....last year a record of just 8 days. I file early in March. So do it electronically., that is what IRS wants. And Yes if you make only xy $$ you can file Turbotax, HR Block or I think Tax Act for free. I will just add you need to do a few tax returns before trying SW...sometimes you get lost in the question and answer fill-outs and on occasion I notice a bug.

I just went back and checked - looks like I filed electronically on 3/6 and received the return in my account (direct deposit) on the 30th of March. It's usually slower as you get further into the season, but over two months still seems excessive.

I just checked as well. Filed electronically via Turbo Tax (too many forms) on 5/17.
Federal withdrawal on 5/20.
First State withdrawal on 6/04.
Second State refund - still pending.

We should replace the IRS with a lottery system. Instead of tax forms, everyone automatically contributes 20% of their income including businesses. Every year, people and companies will win millions. No one complains about spending money on a lottery.

468e831f67f5ed5b5071e30f7cd95009.jpg

Back