TAU ZERO Low Numbers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau Zero

Incurable SEMROC Fan
Reaction score
ATTENTION COLLECTORS:

For those of you who are interested in extremely "low numbered" Tau Zeroes, I still have a limited amount of them, namely numbers 14 through 33. I'm selling these on a "first come, first served" basis. I've been signing and personalizing each one, for which I am charging $35 each.

I'm shipping them via USPS 2-day Priority Mail, which isn't cheap, so I have to factor that expense into the overall cost.

I'm accepting either money orders (the "slow boat to China" method, as Chan Stevens says), or PayPal, which will cost you an additional $3.

If you'd like to get your hands on a low numbered TZ, please send an e-mail with the subject line "Tau Zero low numbers" to:

tau (underscore) zero (at) earthlink (dot) net

Since I have a full-time job and a family that take up most of my time (and I don't have the alien technology that Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce have at Semroc -- oops, I wasn't supposed to say anything about that! :eek: ), I'll do my very best to make sure you get your low numbered signed and personalized Tau Zero inside of two weeks after I receive your payment.

Thanks, everybody for your support, enthusiasm, and interest! EXTRA SPECIAL thanks to Semroc for deciding to offer my Tau Zero design as a kit!

Dean H. Fox: Here's how I think of it --- if you want the work of the artist, FROM the artist, you have to be prepared to pay a little extra. Sure, I could get another copy from Semroc, but this is from the designer himself, and who knows? Someday, the "Jay" series of designs might be part of the pantheon of rocketry, right up there with the OT, the Interceptor, and the Mars Lander! :)

(OK, maybe not, but you're a nice guy with a cool design... I think of it like hitting the "tip jar" on the Semroc site, only I'm getting a signed copy of the kit, too). <BIG smile>

John D. "GeoLaw" Lawrence: You don't know me from Adam, and I'm not one of the vocal ones on the Forums. To snag #11 is very generous of you. Thanks.

In any event, this is pretty neat for me. I've been thinking of purchasing this kit for as long as the Semroc site has displayed the attractive image. You put together a winner.

Cheers,

--Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"

Tau_Zeroes_DSCF0036.jpg

View attachment Tau_Zero_RockSim_8.ZIP

Last edited:
Jay.... Congratulations on your TZ design. I just received a kit from Semroc last week and can't wait to start building it!

Jay.... Congratulations on your TZ design. I just received a kit from Semroc last week and can't wait to start building it!
Jeff,

Thanks for your kind words! Enjoy building your Tau Zero, and please feel free to drop me a line with any comments or questions, or post them here on TRF! ;) :cool:

Cheers,

Jay... I plan on photographing it as I go and posting them on a separate build thread (so I don't highjack your Low Number thread). I noticed in your RockSim file that you have a "dummy" fin set inside the tube. What is the purpose of those?

Jay... I plan on photographing it as I go and posting them on a separate build thread (so I don't highjack your Low Number thread).
Cool! I'm looking forward to it!

BTW, my original prototypes used 1.75" wide by 24" long crepe paper streamers. You may want to swap out the 1" original flagging tape streamer if you only got one. Otherwise, two should work just fine, or RockSim says a 10" parachute should work nicely.

I noticed in your RockSim file that you have a "dummy" fin set inside the tube. What is the purpose of those?
That's a method that Bruce S. "teflonrocketry1" Levison came up with to make RockSim "jump through the hoops" so it would sim the ST-16 ring fin correctly.

Try saving the file under another name, delete those fins, and then run a sim. It's pretty crazy to see the Tau Zero cartwheeling across the sky on a C6-5! :eek:

Thanks and cheers,

Last edited:
ATTENTION COLLECTORS:

For those of you who are interested in extremely "low numbered" Tau Zeroes, I still have a limited amount of them, namely numbers 14 through 33. I'm selling these on a "first come, first served" basis.
(chuckling) Well, I've gotten lots of views on these three forums (YORF, TRF, and Rocketry Planet), but no takers. *Yet.*

And given the current economic crunch that all of us are facing... I'm going to slash the price on my low-numbered Tau Zeroes. (I'll do my best *not* to sound like a used car salesman. So here goes.)

(Over-the-top announcer's voice) "Payday's just around the corner, and have *we* got a deal for *you!*" (Sorry, that just slipped out.)

In all seriousness, I'm taking $10 off the previously mentioned $35 price tag for the Tau Zeroes I'm selling. If you can swing $25, I'll send you a personalized autographed Tau Zero via 2-day Priority Mail. That shipping method along with the box costs me right at $8.

I'm offering PayPal as a payment option for those of you who just can't wait, or I'm still taking money orders from rocketry fans who can stand to wait a little bit. Please drop me an e-mail with the subject line "Tau Zero low numbers" at:

Then I can either give you my "snail mail" address or PayPal account information. Please feel free to ask any questions in advance.

I just got this nice note in the mail today:

John D. "GeoLaw" Lawrence: May you have many more creations to share with fellow rocketry enthusiasts. You done good on the TZ.

Thanks for your consideration!

Jay-
I received my kit (and extra streamer material) today and it looks great! Very interesting design, and I love the nose cone. The Tau Zero should build into a great flying rocket. Thanks for offering it!

Jay-
I received my kit (and extra streamer material) today and it looks great! Very interesting design, and I love the nose cone. The Tau Zero should build into a great flying rocket. Thanks for offering it!
Thanks for buying it, Kevin! I hope you really enjoy your Tau Zero! ;) :D :cool:

Okay, number 14 is gone. :eek:

If any of you want one, I've got a whole bunch more. Just let me know.

Cheers,

Jay, I'm curious why you didn't let Semroc sell the low numbers and handle shipping? Congrats on the getting it released!

Jay, I'm curious why you didn't let Semroc sell the low numbers and handle shipping? Congrats on getting it released!
Craig,

(chuckling) Carl sent me an e-mail that said, "Sheryl's already got Tau Zeroes #6 through 30-something boxed up and ready to send to you." :eek:

I think that it was just a case of the folks at Semroc *scrambling* to get a bunch of things done before Christmas.

As I tell my girls, this is how you learn what works :rolleyes: , and what you might want to do differently next time. :eek:

So it's *not* a big deal. Like my parents say, you have to make do with what you get, and call it good. :D

(chuckling) Carl sent me an e-mail that said, "Sheryl's already got Tau Zeros #6 through 30-something boxed up and ready to send to you."
Just wanted to let "all y'all" know that Tau Zeros #9 through 15 are gone.

If you have rocketry money just sitting around burning a hole in your pocket (or PayPal account), I still have several low number Tau Zeros that need good homes. Please contact me at the e-mail address posted earlier in this thread.

Thanks to everybody who's already bought one (and to my first "repeat" customer)!

Cheers,

Jay, you should have an e-mail (and soon, money) from me.

Thanks for calling me yesterday and forcing me to buy a numbered Tau Zero kit from you, since I wanted to but would probably never have gotten around to doing it on my own.
:rolleyes: :D

Let me comment on this opportunity that Jay is offering. As many of you did, I too stared at the image of the Tau Zero on the Semroc site for months. The cool factor for the kit is way up there. :cool:

John Grisham (yes, the legal thriller author) penned his first book and the sales were lackluster. But try to find a First Edition of that same book now!

This Goemmer guy has some real talent, and who knows what the future holds.

To borrow a phrase,

Cheers :D

John Lawrence

Let me comment on this opportunity that Jay is offering. As many of you did, I too stared at the image of the Tau Zero on the Semroc site for months. The cool factor for the kit is way up there.

John Grisham (yes, the legal thriller author) penned his first book and the sales were lackluster. But try to find a First Edition of that same book now!

This Goemmer guy has some real talent, and who knows what the future holds.
John,

Thank you for your kind and unsolicited comments! :D And thanks also for being my first repeat customer! :cool:

GeoLaw said:
To borrow a phrase,

Cheers
Hmm. I can't imagine where you got that. :rolleyes: ;)

Cheers,

Thanks to my ultra-top secret "Insider's Page" at Semroc, I am happy to report that they've managed to sell exactly 100 Tau Zeros so far, only two months after the TZ was released on December 16th, 2008.

That's stinkin' cool! :D

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KN-2

(I remember Carl saying that *really* popular kits sold on the order of 200 units, although I think Semroc sold about 1,000 of the original-size Laser-X kits.)

At any rate, thank you all for buying these kits! Enjoy them, and please feel free to send any comments or questions to me at:

Cheers,

Back