TARC frustration: advice needed

Discussion in 'Competition Rocketry' started by neil_w, Feb 14, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Mar 17, 2019 #241

aerostadt

aerostadt

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

That is great! It looks like you had fun.

2. Mar 17, 2019 #242

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Number 1 Balsa Nerd TRF Supporter

It was, and we did. :)

3. Mar 17, 2019 #243

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Neil,

Not a bad start . . . What were their comments throughout the day ? Did they ask questions ? Did they have fun ?

I really hope they get a chance to do this again in high school, with the right kind of help, right from the start .

Good job . . . Keep the updates coming !

Dave F.

4. Mar 18, 2019 #244

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Well they said they had fun, and seemed to be telling the truth, so I'll take their word for it. :)

Not too many questions, though. They were pretty well occupied (a) trying to keep warm (it was pretty blustery early on) and (b) keeping track of all the things they needed to do before each flight. Questions would be more likely to come when things are more relaxed and they have time to think. I'm gonna try to get them to a launch or two in the summer so they can relax and enjoy.

They are planning to attempt their qualifying flights this Saturday, fingers crossed for good weather. Motors for these attempts will be F42s, which should give them a bit more altitude although still not close enough to target for a good score. I think the fin can (solid but very messy) is adding a *lot* of drag to the rocket, and causing the motors to underperform. No matter, getting a good score wasn't a serious objective for this year; getting *any* score is, and that is now within striking distance.

Nytrunner likes this.
  5. Mar 18, 2019 #245

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

I'm glad they got out in the field and that you had fun.

If you can get them in, the CTI F51 blue motors (24mm 2-grain) are just about perfect for a BT-70 rocket this year. The extra thrust off the pad gives them a pretty straight flight.

[edit] Forgot to add, out TARC team had a couple of fun interactions when we were out flying yesterday. First was a guy who works at the local SpaceX office flying a Falcon 9 model. Second was a ~5-year old visiting from Paris who happened to be on the field (not sure why?). The kid asked the SpaceX guy where the booster was, I'm pretty sure wondering why it wasn't staged and/or a Falcon Heavy. It was pretty cute.

JJSR likes this.
  6. Mar 18, 2019 #246

mad4hws

mad4hws

mad4hws

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Well done Neil.

7. Mar 18, 2019 #247

JJSR

JJSR

JJSR

Its always fun seeing the little guys at a launch. We do a lot of cub scouts and it NEVER gets old watching their faces brighten with smiles. Once they get the hang of the count down,,,,, it gets LOUD!!!
    LOL

8. Mar 27, 2019 #248

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Well, it looks like life has conspired to make true qualifying flights impossible. There simply will be no opportunity for the team before the deadline.

However, it's not that bad, considering that making the nationals wasn't a serious goal. Based on what we learned from the practice flights, there would be almost no way of getting a good score anyway; can't make the altitude.

Instead, the girls will come to a Rad Rocks launch with me one day in the spring or summer, and do their flights as if trying to qualify, and we'll calculate their score. I'll give them some LPR rockets to fly as well if they want. So at that point they will have completed the year's journey, maybe not quite what was originally hoped for but definitely better than it could have gone. I think they're coming out of this with a positive feeling. No clue yet if they're going to try to get a team together for next year, can't worry about that yet.

Thanks for all the advice and help along the way. I'll report back here with the results of the "qualifying flights" whenever they happen.

Nytrunner likes this.
  9. Mar 27, 2019 #249

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

Sounds like everyone has their heads screwed on right. Good luck!

10. Mar 27, 2019 #250

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Neil,

At least they got to fly . . . Hopefully, they will keep coming out to launches and be interested enough to try again, next year .

This is the time to teach them everything they need to know and actively design & build competitive "TARC-style" rockets with them.

Maybe you could get other club members to participate in "pseudo-TARC" contests ( nothing "extravagant", to keep costs down ) ?

Looking forward to the updates !

Dave F.

11. Apr 13, 2019 #251

aerostadt

aerostadt

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

The TARC finalist have been announced. The cut-off score was a little bit better than last year, but there were more DQ's this year, which is probably a reflection of the tougher requirement to fly 3 eggs. Trip Barber noted that any team making it to one or more qualification flights did a significant accomplishment.

Steve Shannon and James Duffy like this.