Taping a Smartphone To A 10 Ft N Impulse Rocket (video)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
What I find by far the most interesting in this video is the idea of vacuum forming an ultra-light camera holder. There are free 3D printable models available for many video cameras used in R/C (and rocketry) which could be used as forms.

[video=youtube;51Yke_DyO0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Yke_DyO0s[/video]

Not sure he is all that interested in drag -
maxresdefault.jpg

He should have made it a bit more tapered to reduce drag.
3D printing camera mounts takes time. Vacuum forming takes virtually no time at all. Make a proper form and quickly make large numbers of camera mounts, leaving the hole cutting (using hobby knife) to the buyer, providing them with properly located indents/groves to make that easy. A possible product idea.

Question: Why risk a relatively pricey cell phone on the side of a rocket? There are cheaper things like decent cameras and rocketry geared items to do the same tasks. Whoopee do! to that I say. What's the latest iPhone going for?
$700.00? Kurt

Lots of cheap phones out there. Few guys I fly with buy beaters on eBay for $60 and do just that. You'd be surprised by the data you can get off a phone.
Dont know where you shop but my last new iPhone was only $150.

Lots of cheap phones out there. Few guys I fly with buy beaters on eBay for $60 and do just that. You'd be surprised by the data you can get off a phone.
Dont know where you shop but my last new iPhone was only $150.

I use a $20.00 disposable phone to answer pages. Can't stand doing "stuff" on a small screen. True, used less than bleeding edge stuff can be had for cheap and one may not need to have a cellphone service to access the apps.
I thought the iPhone 7 is $649 to $769. I go cheap and can't see wasting money like that. Items intended for rocketry use are cheaper and good quality video can be had economically. Basically I look at this as a gimmicky stunt.
Kurt

Question: Why risk a relatively pricey cell phone on the side of a rocket? There are cheaper things like decent cameras and rocketry geared items to do the same tasks. Whoopee do! to that I say. What's the latest iPhone going for?
$700.00? Kurt

I bet he got it free as a promotion.

He did it as part of an advertisement for the phone I believe.

My main point in posting this video was the easy to manufacture, vacuum formed, ultra lightweight, taped-on camera boot idea it presented, but I guess no one else finds that interesting SO, speaking of smartphones, this brand new one looks interesting, but it's GSM only. I'll wait for Amazon reviews, but some of the other Blu phones have decent reviews there.

BLU LIFE ONE X2, 4G RAM, 64GB Flash - unlocked ($199)($149 for unlocked 2G/16G version)
to be released on Oct 7

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M13TSHR/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Unlocked Dual Sim Smartphone
Android v6.0 Marshmallow
5.2” Full HD with Curved Corning Gorilla glass 3
1920 x 1080 resolution
Built in Fingerprint Sensor
Quick Charge 3.0, with just 30 minutes of charging get up to 70% battery or with only 5 minutes get up to 2 hours of talk time.
64 GB Internal Memory 4GB RAM Micro SD up to 64GB, Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 1.4GHz Octa Core processor
16MP Main Camera with PDAF laser focus and 8MP front camera with LED flash
4G LTE, (2/4/7/12/17), 4G HSPA+ (850/1700/1900/2100). GSM Quad band: US compatibility Nationwide on all GSM Networks including AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, MetroPCS, Straight Talk, Pure Talk USA, and others

[video=youtube;PykaDDlEs5Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PykaDDlEs5Q[/video]

[video=youtube;0odEo4GzL34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odEo4GzL34[/video]

811MOIDr7HL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My main point in posting this video was the easy to manufacture, vacuum formed, ultra lightweight, taped-on camera boot idea it presented, but I guess no one else finds that interesting SO, speaking of smartphones, this brand new one looks interesting, but it's GSM only. I'll wait for Amazon reviews, but some of the other Blu phones have decent reviews there.

BLU LIFE ONE X2, 4G RAM, 64GB Flash - unlocked ($199)($149 for unlocked 2G/16G version)
to be released on Oct 7

Android v6.0 Marshmallow
1920 x 1080 resolution
Quick Charge 3.0, with just 30 minutes of charging get up to 70% battery or with only 5 minutes get up to 2 hours of talk time.
64 GB Internal Memory 4GB RAM Micro SD up to 64GB, Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 1.4GHz Octa Core processor
4G LTE, (2/4/7/12/17), 4G HSPA+ (850/1700/1900/2100). GSM Quad band: US compatibility Nationwide on all GSM Networks including AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, MetroPCS, Straight Talk, Pure Talk USA, and others

Hmmm, Winston, do you think it would work with an AT&T Go Phone Simm? I paid quite a bit more for a WiFi only Nexus with 32MB of memory that can't do cellphone so this would have more utility if I could use it for subscription calls.

I had acquired a couple of Chinese dual boot 3G Phablets or whatever and they unfortunately were incompatible with the cellphone system. Would have been nice if they worked with the AT&T (less bars in more places)
subscription phone simm but I was more intensely interested in the dual boot Android/Windows. Plus they had builtin GPS. I can use Rocket tracking software on the Android side and Ham tracking software and Rocket software
on the Windows side. Nice pointer. Kurt

My main point in posting this video was the easy to manufacture, vacuum formed, ultra lightweight, taped-on camera boot idea it presented, but I guess no one else finds that interesting ...
I actually found it useful and since I have a vacuum setup and decent materials on hand it gave me some ideas.

I also liked the production values and the drone footage. I thought it was a well done video. Thanks for the link.

Tony

I actually found it useful and since I have a vacuum setup and decent materials on hand it gave me some ideas.

I also liked the production values and the drone footage. I thought it was a well done video. Thanks for the link.

Tony
I've been tempted before to make a DIY vacuum forming setup because they appear to be so easy to make and use, but I've never really had a need for one, so I didn't. When I saw this use it was one of those "why didn't I think of this" sort of moments. However, I'd still need more of a reason to build a vacuum forming setup than just this idea to inspire me to build one.

My main point in posting this video was the easy to manufacture, vacuum formed, ultra lightweight, taped-on camera boot idea it presented, but I guess no one else finds that interesting SO

I certainly did, but I feel so clueless about the technology and material that I did not know where to start. Sorry I let the other commentary get in the way.

to be released on Oct 7

Android v6.0 Marshmallow
1920 x 1080 resolution
OR one could buy this:

Google officially unveils Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones
Says final goodbye to affordable Nexus smartphones

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/41761-google-officially-unveils-pixel-and-pixel-xl-smartphones

"As it has decided to ditch the Nexus-branding, Google also ditched the affordable price, so Pixel and Pixel XL will have a premium price, starting at US $649 for the Pixel and US $769 for the Pixel XL."

No microSD slot, of course, since Google wants you to use the web and cloud storage for everything so they can see what you're doing and target ads accordingly. Secondarily, like Apple, they want you to pay much more for additional internal flash storage than you would for a 64GB microSD card. On the use the web for everything angle, cell service providers would like that, too, but that's not Google's reason for never including that SD card slot in their devices (as far as I've seen anyway).

OR one could buy this:

Google officially unveils Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones
Says final goodbye to affordable Nexus smartphones

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/41761-google-officially-unveils-pixel-and-pixel-xl-smartphones

"As it has decided to ditch the Nexus-branding, Google also ditched the affordable price, so Pixel and Pixel XL will have a premium price, starting at US $649 for the Pixel and US $769 for the Pixel XL."

No microSD slot, of course, since Google wants you to use the web and cloud storage for everything so they can see what you're doing and target ads accordingly. Secondarily, like Apple, they want you to pay much more for additional internal flash storage than you would for a 64GB microSD card. On the use the web for everything angle, cell service providers would like that, too, but that's not Google's reason for never including that SD card slot in their devices (as far as I've seen anyway).

Now you're being sarcastic.:wink::surprised: I heard about that on NPR yesterday and laughed. Most everywhere I go where I spend appreciable time has a free terminal or WiFi. I can't stand trying to look at email on a small
screen. That's just me being a fuddy duddy. I use my Nexus mainly for rocket tracking and only have the Wifi on to download maps. Plus I mastered the scripts for custom ROMS so I can brick the device all I want and use adb to
load the ROM from scratch. Seemed like magic the first time I dorked it and I simply told adb to load the ROM and like magic, It worked again. Cyanogenmod is pretty nice. Kurt

Once upon a time I was looking at DIY vacuum forming for a few rocketry related items. All that fell by the wayside, but now I may have to look into it again, as I have a need for some specialty parts for my A/V bay and a camera shroud. This video shows its practical.

I built a vacuum former that looks very similar to the posted by Winston. The key is a very good vacuum - a big heavy duty shop vac is a must for heavier sheets. I finally had to modify mine to accept two vacuums at the same time in order to pull around my mold.

On youtube you can see a lot of guys who use a similar setup to make custom holsters for guns by vacuum forming around the actual pistol. One guy had a really neat setup that used a standard propane tank to hold a vacuum and then he opened a ballcock valve to pull the plastic down very quickly and decisively.

Like anything though, once you start it's easy to get caught up in 'incrementalism'.

Tony

Initial reviews on Amazon look good.

[video=youtube;s0mQL61kB4g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mQL61kB4g[/video]

Remember that all of the Safety Codes prohibit use of a Samsung Note 7 on or in a rocket (Model or High Power) as they are flammable and explosive.

$700.00? Kurt

Not a new idea

[video=youtube;F3ZMkXky8TY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ZMkXky8TY[/video]

The NoPhone

Completely Secure - Enjoy peace in your life knowing your bank account information and overall reputation within your community is protected. The NoPhone NoOS is designed to be 100% hacker resistant through removing the user's ability to enter and save any of their personal information.

Eternal Battery Life - When you open the box, you'll notice there is no charger. Although chargers have become a profit center for our competitors, the NoPhone doesn't need one.

No contract, unlimited NoData at $0 per month.

100% toilet bowl proof

Describe your product in 3 words. - Not a phone.

How did you come up with the idea for this product? - We went to a concert and couldn't see the stage from all of the phones and selfie sticks. We never looked at a real phone the same way again.

What has been the best part of your startup experience? - Putting plastic rectangles into cardboard boxes and shipping them to paying customers.

Comes with with the latest NoOS (100% compatible with No-Windows, No-iOS and No-Android) already installed and there is never a need to update it.

[video=youtube;o9JbxCP6bXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9JbxCP6bXQ[/video]

The Original NoPhone - $10 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016856FDG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The NoPhone Selfie (NoPhone with a mirror attached) - $18 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0167YPPZC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Nobody has ever confiscated my old phone when I upgrade. I have at least 3 or 4 smartphone-type old units between my wife and me. They're free, or at least they're basically of no value to me now.

Back