Tapatalk (Pro) no longer working

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Marc_G

Reaction score
Hi Angie,

My primary way of accessing TRF is via Tapatalk Pro on Android. It now complains about "xml file not imported" or some such. Please fix ASAP.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
They did it because of the security risk.

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt this is going to be reversed. Angie has been saying for a long time (ever since the redesign) that the browser is the preferred mobile access medium.

I'm pretty bummed about it; even though the iOS app was way out of date I still hate to lose it.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Nothing on the forum has been accessed. The ability that it could have been was noticed so the flow of information was cut by discontinuing the app.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Hi Angie,

My primary way of accessing TRF is via Tapatalk Pro on Android. It now complains about "xml file not imported" or some such. Please fix ASAP.
Due to the discontinuing of the App that also discontinues it on Tapatalk.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Has the concern been reported to Tapatalk so they can fix it?

Usability of the forum on mobile is awful via the web versus the app. Ugggh...

I posted a note on the Tapatalk forum but responsiveness there is lacking.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I believe concerns have been communicated.

Marc_G

Reaction score
If this is unlikely to be fixed soon or ever, could someone please post a primer on setting up TRF in chrome on Android and Safari for iPhone so that notifications happen properly, text sizes are reasonable, and other UI things can be optimized?

I've used Tapatalk for every forum I subscribe for about 8 years now...

Using Chrome just seems so clunky!

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
1. Bring up mobile browser of choice.
2. Type in forum address. www.rocketryforum.com and return.
3. Log in as normal.
4. Use the site as if you were on the laptop, all functions are there. Landscape may be easier reading than portrait.
5. Post in same manner as you would on laptop, using phone/tablet keyboard.

BEC

Reaction score
If this is unlikely to be fixed soon or ever, could someone please post a primer on setting up TRF in chrome on Android and Safari for iPhone so that notifications happen properly, text sizes are reasonable, and other UI things can be optimized?

I've used Tapatalk for every forum I subscribe for about 8 years now...

Using Chrome just seems so clunky!
This is from Safari on my iPhone (7+). No special settings.

But I will admit adding text where I want it is kind irritating. First portrait, then landscape screen shots.

BBB4DAFC-BA70-45D1-896A-9BC7EFF9FF6C.png 6E91A121-F766-479B-B0DA-A8457CDB60BA.png

Marc_G

Reaction score
So, how do I get it to notify me? While I can of course log in and navigate, to be really useful I need notification bar alerts when someone posts in a subscribed thread. I DON'T want email alerts, just notifications in the bar I can tap to take me to the new post of interest. If I can get that working I can manage the rest.

Thanks folks.

heada

Reaction score
See the bell looking icon at the top right of every page? That's your notification. Click on it and it shows replies, updates and whatnot. You have to be logged in for it to work.

Marc_G

Reaction score
See the bell looking icon at the top right of every page? That's your notification. Click on it and it shows replies, updates and whatnot. You have to be logged in for it to work.
Thank you @heada , but the functionality I want is that I get notified whether I've got the browser open or not... like Tapatalk does. Even when I have it open I'm not getting notification bar alerts for new posts in subscribed forums; I have to actually be IN the browser to see them. I guess I will be on the forum less these days. Sigh.

JoeTekcor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is truly a bummer. I used the app almost exclusively. I tried updating one of my threads through the mobile browser including adding a pic and quickly gave up. At this point I'd be willing to pay for an app to use if someone would develop one or fix the issues with the existing one.

Marc_G

Reaction score
I was able to upload a pic to a thread via Chrome, but it's a bit clunky. The big problem is apparently no Android notifications of subscribed threads.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Woof, the way I read forums is unread, oldest-to-newest. Not sure how to do that with the new restrictions, anybody have a workflow?

Marc_G

Reaction score
Is there something special about TRF's implementation of Tapatalk? None of the other forums I use TT on seems to think there is a problem with the app or the forum plug-in. They are all chugging away just fine.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Is there something special about TRF's implementation of Tapatalk? None of the other forums I use TT on seems to think there is a problem with the app or the forum plug-in. They are all chugging away just fine.
As Angie stated in the thread that the app was shut down:

"Due to concerns about security and privacy from the company that created the app we think it’s an absolute necessity to cease using it immediately."

So it sounds like it was done by a third party, not the owners of TRF. As has happened with many apps, it was likely gathering unwarranted data from users, pushing ads that did not come from the site, or had other security or privacy issues.

The reason companies want you to use apps rather than their website is because apps can gather so much more data about you and they have a lot more control over the ads you are served than what using the website. Using a browser, especially on iOS, greatly limits their ability to track you and gather your usage habits. You are far more secure typically using the website than an app.

If you want to know about some of the publicly disclosed data the app (and website) collects about you:

https://www.tapatalk.com/privacy_policy

Note that it says it collects this data even if you are not logged into a site.

Tony

Last edited:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
The link to Tapatalk was in the App s/w. So other forums may not be having issues. We are doing what we feel safest for the members of TRF.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Thanks Angie. Your responsiveness is always appreciated.

Still, having used Tapatalk for the better part of a decade, they already have enough data from me (relating to this forum and nearly a dozen others) that any incremental data they grab isn't something I worry about. I would have preferred it be handled by a warning to users that TRF has concerns, use TT at your own risk, etc..

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
No one said a word against Tapatalk. It is said the App had security issues. And it was disabled before those issues could be used. Unfortunately, the App also fed the Tapatalk. So App disabled, feed to Tapatalk gone.

Pariah Zero

Gravity’s Plaything
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I’m fine with it, given how good the web interface is. And now I know to remove TRF from my tapatalk.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Pull up forun in mobile Chrome.
Look on top right for 3 stacked dots.
Go down to 'save to home screen".
Save. Icon direct toforum on phone screen.

Screenshot_20200328-135939_One UI Home.jpg