Tank Killer-- CAUGHT!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Again, posted before, but had a new video with a beautiful flight and was able to catch the rocket before it hit the asphalt.

Note: Catching low power rockets is NOT a NAR safety code violation. Catching HIGH POWER rockets IS a NAR Safety violation, although it may earn you a Darwin award if the attempt is made before you pass your genes on.20191207_093424.jpg 20191207_093427.jpg

Anyway, if you are remodeling your bathroom, don't throw that ball float away, recycle it into a rocket nose cone.

In this case, there is a soda straw going through the nose cone next to the body tube, so I can pass the launch rod THROUGH the nose.

The box fin arrangement has been unbelievable--- this puppy just doesn't roll, it flies arrow straight.

.20191207_093424.jpg 20191207_093427.jpg

Geeze, Babar what is it with you and catching rockets?
Coincidentally, I saw this listing on eBay last night with this picture:
s-l1600.jpg

Now you got my wheels turning!
Laters.
PS Starting bid is $500!

BABAR I don't know what I like the most about this rocket; It is extremely cool looking, the name is epic and the creativity it shows is awesome. A true classic!

Very well done!

Again, posted before, but had a new video with a beautiful flight and was able to catch the rocket before it hit the asphalt.

Note: Catching low power rockets is NOT a NAR safety code violation. Catching HIGH POWER rockets IS a NAR Safety violation, although it may earn you a Darwin award if the attempt is made before you pass your genes on.View attachment 404075 View attachment 404076

Anyway, if you are remodeling your bathroom, don't throw that ball float away, recycle it into a rocket nose cone.

In this case, there is a soda straw going through the nose cone next to the body tube, so I can pass the launch rod THROUGH the nose.

The box fin arrangement has been unbelievable--- this puppy just doesn't roll, it flies arrow straight.

.View attachment 404075 View attachment 404076

Nice catch, but not too hard, that was really a good floater.

Those box fins are very effective aerodynamically, since you have lots more fin area, and no tip effects, where the aero normal force usually drops to zero at a free wing/fin tip. Maybe a bit heavier, but they look super cool!

PS where did you get the white decals?

PS where did you get the white decals?
I wanted a military stencil look sort of like what you see on boxes of supplies. I primed the Rocket with white paint. I then took stick on letters that I got at Hobby lobby as well as the star decals and put them where I wanted them to be. I then over coated those with another layer of white primer to seal the edges. I then painted the olive drab color. I then removed the decals, leaving the white paint underneath. The margins were a little bit rough which in this particular case looks perfect for the stencil appearance I was seeking.Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

What amazed me on this Rocket was how perfect the trajectory was with those box fans. This Rocket had no rotation at all for multiple launches. Unfortunately suffered a shock cord failure on his most recent flight with a wonderful soft recovery of the nosecone with a parachute, a somewhat less optimal tumble recovery of the body shattering the box fans. I need to rebuild it..

Like! I applaud your ingenuity -- very clever theme and re-use of something that would otherwise have ended its days in a landfill.

Back