tangled

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssrat

Reaction score
This is the first time i have ever posted on TRF and im not a computer person at all so i hope im doing it right. My question is how do you keep the glider from getting tangled in the shock cord? My son and i built a boost a boost glider which i cant remember the name of now, we have launched it twice and it got tangled in shock cord both times. Thanks for any help. Kevin

This is the first time i have ever posted on TRF and im not a computer person at all so i hope im doing it right. My question is how do you keep the glider from getting tangled in the shock cord? My son and i built a boost a boost glider which i cant remember the name of now, we have launched it twice and it got tangled in shock cord both times. Thanks for any help. Kevin

Hi, i'm assuming this is a glider with a pop pod where the glider detaches from the pod at apogee when the ejction charge goes off and deploys a steamer/small chute for the booster pod.
i've launched loads off these and have only ever had one incident where the glider tangled up with the shock cord. so you might be just unlucky!
the pod is usually very light and only needs a streamer to recover, so there is little chance of a parachute causing a zipper etc, so i would be tempted to shorten the cord, and swap the cord for thinner kevlar, hopefully there will be less cord for the glider to find in the first second or two of free flight.

Thanks for the tip.the booster has a streamer and kevlar cord already which is pretty long. i will shorten it and try again.

Thanks for the tip.the booster has a streamer and kevlar cord already which is pretty long. i will shorten it and try again.

sounds like a quest glider, is it either of these?

rp_qst_flat_cat.jpg

qst_ez_glider.jpg

I did some checking last night and its a Flat Cat i think by Quest. looks like the one you have pictured on the left. my other son has one like on the right which flew great

A short elastic cord works better than the long Kevlar cord when it comes to avoiding the dreaded "Red Baron" or pop pod snagging the glider.

Back