• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Talon 6 kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked on GL's site and though the rocket is listed there isn't a price. Did you call and see if they're still making them? If it's out of production you might be stuck paying top $$$$ for one or take the trouble to clone it. Kurt

I have not yet contacted GL, wasn't planning on it since as you've stated their website shows that it is sold out. May have to clone it. If I end up cloning it I would probably even upscale it somewhat...

It has been a few years since they publically sold one. The last one I know was sold was after they had sold out. I think the buyer contacted them and they agreed to make another. I thought about buying one when I bought my sledgehammer and I have not seen them listed for sale since.

It has been a few years since they publically sold one. The last one I know was sold was after they had sold out. I think the buyer contacted them and they agreed to make another. I thought about buying one when I bought my sledgehammer and I have not seen them listed for sale since.

Any idea why it's OOP? The Talon 4 still seems to be available...and it is a sexy beast indeed! If I ever go L3, Talon 6 was how I was hoping to do it, and those cheesecake shots slay me every time I see them!

There you go. Pretty good chunk of change but looks to be of excellent quality. Kurt

This kit comes with more than a "box of dusty FG" that you get from other vendors:

All fiberglass 6" airframe. Length 12`9", 98mm fiberglass motor mount, fiberglass piston system, 0.187" fiberglass beveled fins, Electronics bay with machined aluminum bulkplate and ejection charge holder with two key switches, SkyAngle Cert 3 XXL chute with Pilot chute and aluminum motor retainer.

The chute, pilot, and motor retainer are well over $300 in value as it is. All you need to add is electronics, a motor, and epoxy. Alan gives great service, as well.

Yes, one thing that attracted me to the GL kit is that it seemed to be mostly a complete rocket. Maybe minus electronics but that is not a problem....I may contact GL to see if they would resurrect the line, quoting this thread which is showing some renewed interest in the kit...

This kit comes with more than a "box of dusty FG" that you get from other vendors:

All fiberglass 6" airframe. Length 12`9", 98mm fiberglass motor mount, fiberglass piston system, 0.187" fiberglass beveled fins, Electronics bay with machined aluminum bulkplate and ejection charge holder with two key switches, SkyAngle Cert 3 XXL chute with Pilot chute and aluminum motor retainer.

The chute, pilot, and motor retainer are well over $300 in value as it is. All you need to add is electronics, a motor, and epoxy. Alan gives great service, as well.

That's an impressive list of addons, I'm glad you enumerated them because I about near plotzed when I saw the $1600 price tag! I think the GL version was just shy of a grand?

That's an impressive list of addons, I'm glad you enumerated them because I about near plotzed when I saw the $1600 price tag! I think the GL version was just shy of a grand?

On the GL website I saw the $924 price: kit + many free addons...I'm not sure but I think this is with the "Magna-frame" GL tubing.

Everyone scoff's at Hawk's prices, but the quality of their cuts and materials are second to no one. On top of that, their kits come complete with recovery materials, altimeter bay hardware, and sometimes motor retainers. Give Alan a call or an email with questions!

Last time I emailed Hawk mountain, their kits no longer come with the aluminum parts.

I'd guess at that level everything is negotiable. Obviously not a lot of people fly Hawk stuff, but those that do seem to love it. If the OP couldn't get GLR to make one, It's simply another option to get the kit.

Me, I'm still over here flying 3" stuff... but it's nice to dream.

Last edited:
You could also Email Tim @ Wildman's and see if he'd do a 6" or even 8" Eagle Claw. I'm pretty sure he's done a 6" already. It's not a Talon, but close...

Adrian

Hawk and Giant Leap are the originators of the Talon design that go way back. Surely one can argue that you can cut a four-sided fin only so many ways...the Talon design is quite unique. I encourage anyone interested in that design to buy the original. Maybe WM got permission as long as they changed the name, idk.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?35664-Eagle-Claw-4-Talon-4&p=333166#post333166

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?7933-Wildman-Eagle-Claw-4

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?9781-Theft-of-Intellectual-Property

been some discussion of it in the past..... I wasn't around so I have no idea.

cloning and designs have always been a murky topic in rocketry and everyone has different lines on it.

But that gets OT. The options for a Talon are GLR and Hawk. If you don't like those options, certainly anyone with tools and FG can cut one up custom for you. (interestingly, Wildman introduced the Eagle Claw in 2008 as a Talon 4, for $239. Still $239. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?112304-Talon-4&highlight=talon)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back