Tailcone search for Estes 2.5" PSII tubing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walldiver7

Reaction score
Does anyone know of ANYTHING that can be used for a short (1") tailcone for the Estes 2.5" tubing that comes in kits like the Argent or Partizon?? Optimally, conical in shape and tapering to an aft dia of 2.15"..... but I'd work with anything that would mate up with tubing. I have no lathe, so I'm looking for something that is already close to the shape that I need. Thanks for the help!

You could make one using card stock and centering rings... Check out the Pro Series Patriot for an example.

Payload bay has a tool for creating transition wraps, and OpenRocket can do the same.

Like the fellows stated ,use a medium heavy cardstock or similar and once glued, use super thin CA and soak it, using a Q-tip to smooth it and brush it around, then sand and fill the seam.If you are familiar with The Launch pad kits, they use this technique on many of their scale kits.You could insert centering rings aft and forward for strength ,which you can make yourself from heavy card.

PT

K'Tesh and JumpJet,
That makes perfect sense for this project ... if it will survive the landing. Maybe I'll make the first one detachable just to see how it fairs. Thanks for the responses!

You can make you a transition from paper or cardstock and pour in 2 part foam to make it a bit more rigid, help survive landings. I have done it with paper on smaller transitions and it worked great. The paper had a nice slick finish when all was cured.

You can make you a transition from paper or cardstock and pour in 2 part foam to make it a bit more rigid, help survive landings. I have done it with paper on smaller transitions and it worked great. The paper had a nice slick finish when all was cured.

Interesting idea!.. I wouldn't have thought this viable poured into such a fragile shell.

One thing to keep in mind about using plastic nosecones, transitions, or two part foam is the added weight. Remember to sim your design with the added tail weight back there as the results could be more frightening than stunning.

Back