t-birds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
Well, the warm weather here in NY has had me in a frenzy of painting. I have been finally able to finish my answer to micro motors: T-birds. These are classic ESTES designs downscaled to the BT-5, and built for the 1/4T and 1/2T motors. First up are downscales of two of my favorite ESTES rockets from my childhood: the Cherokee-T, and the Renegade-T. I made the decals using CorelDraw and printed them on my ALPS printer. The Cherokee T was really Easy as all I needed to do was to download Kurt's decal image from Jim Z's site, and then change the "D" to a "T". I drew the Renegade decals myself in about an hour or so. They were a blast to build, and I cannot wait to build them!! In this picture, I have placed them next to a Streak to show just how small they are.

Beautiful work!

They look great for small fields...which is about all we can find now!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Beautiful work!

They look great for small fields...which is about all we can find now!

sandman

well, dunno 'bout *small* fields... i've seen rockets like this SCREAM even on 1/2A's...

beautiful work!

as soon as the snow melts from my picnic table, i'm movin' the ozone hole over new hampshire! LOL

Astroboy:
They are truely beautiful! Well done. but they are mini's not micro's:) ya gotta be under 10.5mm flyin on Micro-Maxx motors to earn that title, well there are a couple 13mm bodies, Micro Mars Snooper & Laser-X, but they were a bet:D
Micro Charokee-1/8A beside full size mosquito, this size model is were I got my handle :D

If you are interested in Micro model, check out the Micro-Maxx yahoo.group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicroMaxRockets/
Very cool Photos and Files section.

Thanks Micrmister. I do have a few Micro models, incl some ASP kits which I have not yet built.

I built these specifically as 1/4T motor models. My idea was "What if ESTES wanted to compete directly with Quest micro motors? What kits would they make?"

Yeah! your right,
I think the latest all plastic 1/4A all plastic models is their answer, I am very happy they brought back the 13mm 1/4A motors.
I think the last 4 were the mini ALCM , Maverick, space hauler and space bus. all are nice little rockets, pic of the ALCM below

I've been having a blast with the Quest micro's for a couple years now. I think i'm up to 70 some...downscales, Scale, Competition, and Odd-Rocs & PMC's, If you are looking to scratch build some of the Micro stuff We have at least 40 plans in the flile section of the Micro-maxx group. at least 30 are one pagers in pdf format including full size plan, parts, patterns and decals. Art White has the Micro saucer plans and Bic pen odd-roc, Several others have also posted plans for micro's. If you haven't come visit.

Sorry, I get all giddy talking about these micro Marvels...we'll now return contol of you modeling to your local station:D

Micromister and gang... I am wondering if about the recovery systems for these little 1/4t-birds. If I make, say a 4" or 3" parachute, it would be really neat, but will they work? Has anyone tried such tiny chutes? I am woried that I will reach a point where the chute will be too small to really perform. Any thoughts...? Anyone.....? Bueller...?

Back