Swivels?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderdog

Reaction score
After untwisting too many chutes on recovery I've decided to take others advice and add swivels to my chutes. Is the appropriate purchasing area the fishing equipment section in Wal Mart? What is the best to use, snap swivels? Any particular sizes? What do you guys use? Thanks for all input in advance.

Da Dog

Plain old fishing snap swivels for me. Size depends on the size of the chute I'm attaching it to...

For our Mylar parachutes up and including 18" we use number 10 snap swivels. They have worked great for us and we have nothing but good reports on our parachutes.

Actually, I had better luck in the K Mart fishing section. I got "Laker" stainless steel ball bearing snap swivels in size 3 for A-E rockets. They help somewhat with twisting and tangeling, definitely better than nothing, but I still spend time after I get back from a launch taking care of the rigging of all the various chutes. I use a simple loop to attach the chutes to swivels and I can easily pull them off completely and quickly to get everything perfect for the next flight.
Snap swivels are also great for switching chutes between rockets. I have a bunch of nylon chutes from ThrustAero that I move around as necessary.
Larger swivels can be found online at:

https://www.meltontackle.com/shopping/product.asp?product_id=10633

In this thread there is a couple of pic of the loop attachment:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4468&highlight=swivel

I've been using the Tri-swivels on low power rockets .seems to work well so far...I found them at walmart's tackle area

I saw somewhere here that some like to use kite swivels. Maybe someone else can expand on that...

I purchased a pack of swivels from either Walmart or Dick's sporting goods. It has several different sizes. I found that I use the larger size the most. It was pretty cheap. So basically any place that sells fishing supplies will have them.

Hope it helps,
Weekends

Originally posted by stymye
I've been using the Tri-swivels on low power rockets .seems to work well so far...I found them at walmart's tackle area

Do you have a pic of the actual application?

Originally posted by bsexton
Plain old fishing snap swivels for me. Size depends on the size of the chute I'm attaching it to...

Exactly what he said. I usually use pretty much the smallest I can find - fish the shock cord through the bottom (pardon the pun) and tie it on, leaving the shap part for the parachute to attach to.

Loopy

with the tri swivel I tie one leg to the BT, and annother leg to the Nosecone..the third leg is connected to the chute, usually with the popular removeable swivel..there is a pic somewhere on the forum , tho I can't seem to find it

Back