Swivels, does anybody use them ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdma77

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of building a new rocket and I was wondering if anybody uses swivels with parachutes ? I am thinking about adding one to my recovery system. I am also looking for a good supplier (s) of these products.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quite a few of us do, and the higher-quality parachutes even come with them already attached (like Rockethead Rockets and the like). You can get them at Walmart or Kmart or just about anywhere that sells fishing tackle.

WW

I've been using the tri-swivels on small and mid stuff ,,they can be found at walmart ect..

All Shrockets include swivels, they make for quick parachute changes. I keep an extra chute all made up and ready in case the one on the rocket gets torn or overly tangled. One little clip and your are back in flight.

shrox

Originally posted by cdma77
Hello,

I am in the process of building a new rocket and I was wondering if anybody uses swivels with parachutes ? I am thinking about adding one to my recovery system. I am also looking for a good supplier (s) of these products.

Thanks,

Jeff

Always on the chutes/streamers. Depending on the bird, sometimes on the shock cord (sometimes I want to be able to switch nose cones/payload sections).

Wanna prove to yourself just how good a swivel is compared to not using one ?

You and a bud build a simple rocket, like an Alpha, one of you uses a swivel, one doesn't. The difference is downright scary.

Simply put, a snap swivel is the cheapest addition and might have the most important impact on recovery - besides Kevlar thread and mylar chutes.

Cheers,

I use swivels, they are great, you can get huge ones too for bigger rockets

I use swivels on everything that has a chute, big or little. I like ball bearing swivels best. WalMart and KMart.

Anyone know what size swivel, maybe for a super nova payloader? I think I have some size 2 swivel's, which are 20#?? I think I'll go much bigger than I probably need! :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Pat

My dad and I use the swivels from Giant Leap. Great little swivels, all our chutes have them!

I use #5 snap swivels from walmart, If I don't need the snap, I cut it off...

I second the "tangled chute" situation, it sure is nice change it out quickly. But I have been in a hurry or gotten distracted and forgot to put a chute on. I usually realize that about 2 seconds after liftoff.

Back