Switching TV and internet question Sat to Fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
I figured this would be as good a place as any - lot of knowledgeable people on here.

My question refers to fiber optic, Netflix and cable

We currently have Dish bumble TV and internet, living in the boonies this was our only choice. The internet is the worst POC I've ever been on, data limited like crazy and if the wind is blowing forget it. Then recently Dish changed the menu and software and now the TV is horrible. The internet is so bad we typically tether everything to our cell phone about 1/2 the time.

Going to fiber optic seams a no brainer but they get you too- no HD channels unless you buy their top tier. This would equal what we currently pay for dish bundle

- they have unlimited internet with speed choices 1Gbs. This would allow us to have some options on our TV like Netflix and such.

QUESTION: Teach me about Netflix and other options please. Or Amazon stick?
being in the boonies I know Nothing about Netflix or internet TV of any kind. We like regular program TV that we typically DVR then fast forward through commercials.

Thanks

Last edited:
With your note about liking the regular TV setup with DVR, it sounds like you aren't the typical "cord cutter" type. Netflix and such are nice, but they often don't have the latest episodes. They tend to get them eventually, when the studios aren't being jerks, but if you want them as they air, regular TV might be the best option for you. Even more so if you are into live events like sports. All the streaming services are pretty much in the same boat, except for the custom ones like HBO NOW. But that's just HBO stuff. If you rely on Netflix for TV shows, you will be at least a week behind, sometimes more. How much you care about that will determine if it matters to you.

With the fiber setup being about the same cost for the top tier, that's not an unreasonable option to get all the same stuff, much better internet, and much more reliable service.

If you watch mostly network shows, OTA might be an option, but in the boonies that can be iffy. https://www.antennaweb.org/ has a decent way to get a general idea without buying anything.

There are also other.. grey area.. options.... With fiber internet, that's an option. However, this might not be the best place to discuss it. I'm not sure what the forum rules are regarding that stuff. If you are interested, it's not hard to find out about though.

Fiber unlimited 1Gbps, how I wish I could get that. That's near "who do I have to kill?" level of want for me. :)

With your note about liking the regular TV setup with DVR, it sounds like you aren't the typical "cord cutter" type. Netflix and such are nice, but they often don't have the latest episodes. They tend to get them eventually, when the studios aren't being jerks, but if you want them as they air, regular TV might be the best option for you. Even more so if you are into live events like sports. All the streaming services are pretty much in the same boat, except for the custom ones like HBO NOW. But that's just HBO stuff. If you rely on Netflix for TV shows, you will be at least a week behind, sometimes more. How much you care about that will determine if it matters to you.

With the fiber setup being about the same cost for the top tier, that's not an unreasonable option to get all the same stuff, much better internet, and much more reliable service.

If you watch mostly network shows, OTA might be an option, but in the boonies that can be iffy. https://www.antennaweb.org/ has a decent way to get a general idea without buying anything.

There are also other.. grey area.. options.... With fiber internet, that's an option. However, this might not be the best place to discuss it. I'm not sure what the forum rules are regarding that stuff. If you are interested, it's not hard to find out about though.

Fiber unlimited 1Gbps, how I wish I could get that. That's near "who do I have to kill?" level of want for me. :)

Good to hear thanks, yea from 1mps to 1000mps we will see if that is really what it will be but that will be pretty cool.

IF you can get reception with a big antenna (see above antennaweb link), OTA combined with a used TIVO Premier box might be the best cheap solution. You can usually pick up a used one with the lifetime service agreement for $100 or so. The lifetime service applies to the box, not user, so fully transferrable. They've also got the newer Roamio OTA box specifically for OTA only. Watch out, though, as some of their boxes are cableTV only with no OTA capability. I've been very happy with ours for little investment and no monthly bills for our very limited TV watching.
-Ken

I'm over the air antenna for ABC , fox and CBS , channels honesty look clearer then the cable did

Movies we have amazon prime already so using Fire Box with net work cable steaming from wireless internet , your fiber would be much nicer

I have no experience with netflicks I'm sure it streams like our amazon does
Premium channels can be added through amazon example Showtime is like $8.99 a month , Cinemax $9.99 , hbo $14.99

If you -can- get fiber, -do- get fiber. It makes everything else you want to do online much much better.

I can't make a recommendation on media, since I've never paid for satellite or cable TV.

I am an Amazon member so I'll look into their Firestick options - can't hardly say that with thinking of a Mac Performance Firestick:).

Thx I pulled the trigger on the fiber

I am an Amazon member so I'll look into their Firestick options - can't hardly say that with thinking of a Mac Performance Firestick:).

Thx I pulled the trigger on the fiber
Roku is generally regarded to be the most compatible of all the TV boxes, as far as I can tell.

I'm not up to snuff on their current hardware, but I know you can do Amazon video, Google Video, Netflix, Hulu, ( not iTunes ).

Apple doesn't work with anyone else AFAICT, and Amazon explicitly doesn't support ( or sell ) Google boxes.

If you have a smartTV you may not even need additional hardware. Both my TVs can direct connect to amazon and Netflix.

+1 for Roku because the implementation of various services is very good. My dad subscribed to several British TV services too small to be included on built in Smart TV platforms.

Also look into Sling TV. You may be able to subscribe cheaply to "cable over internet" channels of interest.

For over the air TV, a good antenna coupled with a plain old PC running Emby can work as a good DVR.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I'm over the air antenna for ABC , fox and CBS , channels honesty look clearer then the cable did

They look clearer because they are. Cable and especially satellite TV providers need to get the most channels in their streams that they can, so they use compression to reduce the bandwidth of certain channels. Premium channels typically get less compression so the quality is better, whereas the lesser channels get hammered since they aren't an income stream. OTA is full uncompressed HD (if that's how it was broadcast).
-Ken

I have fios connection for internet, and have been very happy with a roku stick for almost all my streaming, netflix and amazon, hulu, netflix, and my vudu/ultraviolet content I own...I got it through a sling tv offer where you sign up for 2 months and get the roku stick free, then can drop the sling tv. I use my blu-ray player occasionally when I want to stream something on my alternate amazon account that has some streaming content so I don't have to log off and log back on again since you can only sign one account per device.

Frank

Latest posts

Back