Switch for altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdma77

Reaction score
Can somebody reccomend a switch for my altimeter I am going to buy. I want to turn in on/off when my rocket is on the pad. Please also provide me with links on how to mount it in the rocket.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I have used this switch from MissleWorks for power to the altimeter in my Level 2 rocket..

https://www.missileworks.com/Mercha...Product_Code=MWC-SW-2&Category_Code=cat103020

It just takes the appropriate size hole to push the body of the switch in. There is a nut that holds it in from the inside.

I also used another couple of these switches to shunt the charges. It can be hooked up to short the wires going to the charge and open the circuit to the altimeter.

A lot of people don't go to that extent. They bring two wires out a hole in the body tube and twist them together.

So far I am a switcher not a twister.

Thanks,

Greg

That is just about as cool as it gets. I have been searching for durable slide switches. This is really just what I need.

I raided all the old Gateway 2000 computers that had that keylock out thingy in the chassis. Very simple rotary switch:

with a key
-->switch on
<--switch off.

Someone, I do not remember who, was selling them for $5 ea.

I raided all the old Gateway 2000 computers that had that keylock out thingy in the chassis. Very simple rotary switch:

with a key
-->switch on
<--switch off.

Be careful with the current rating of these switches. I believe, but I'm not positive, these switches are used for low current/low voltage switching.

The Missileworks switches are heavy duty. They were originally designed to switch the AC input of power supplies from 110 to 220 and are rated at a fairly high current capability. These will work just fine in the path of high current applications such as in line with igniters.

I have used DPDT slide switches (rated @ 5A/contact) and wired both sides together (essentially making it a SPDT) with success.

My $0.02.

A thing with the key switches that was brought up one time when I asked, what if one/both charges don't go off and your rocket lands near someone? If you have a slide switch, they can disarm it. If it has a keyswitch, the person standing near your live charges will have to wait for you to disarm it.

Blue

Back