Sweaty Balls Project -- Keep the Change

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophecy

Reaction score
Last year for Balls, I did a composite-cased 6" motor that wound up working pretty well. One of the advantages of this design as opposed to building a rocket around an aluminum case is the weight saved when the rocket and motor are one, avoiding the redundancy of having an airframe wall and a case wall.

Of course, in the ~5 years since I've been building min dia rockets, I've tended to follow the traditional wisdom of strength, strength, strength to avoid a shred, and it's served me very well. My standard fin can procedure of 1/4" carbon + carbon/kevlar layup x 3 layers went undefeated against some pretty hot motors. It's easy to make something that holds together, but after doing the composite-case project, it got me to thinking -- time to push the limits a little bit with fin cans, walking the line between strong enough and unnecessarily strong and heavy. Much like the determination of how thick or thin to make the composite case -- finding the sweet spot of "just strong enough" such that optimal weight reduction is recognized.

With this in mind, and after reading of Manny's failure last month and the flame war over Ari's L3 shred, I decided to get going on this objective to try and shed some light on the subject. All the "experts" coming out of the woodwork and accusing the guy of recklessness, etc., when one of the goals of the project was to try and fly an M in a stock Magnum (which has been done multiple times with success, BTW), I found frustrating. It doesn't take any kind of knowledge or foresight to beef the $h!t out of something and have it hold together with a big motor, but presumably part of the point of the big motor is to gain performance, and thus the overbuilding largely defeats the purpose. What takes knowledge and foresight is knowing (or discovering through scientific method) what you can and can't get away with, in order to optimize performance.

So, last week I built a 3" min dia with parts I had lying around, with the goal of making it as light as possible. Fins were 1/8" G10, using my usual one-tube build method, electronics in the nose cone, dual deploy with a line cutter made of a spent shell casing and a piston to cut the zip tie around the chute burrito, saving length and drag. In theory, fins are stressed most when misaligned, so I paid extra attention to getting the fins perfectly aligned, and put on regular-sized fillets with regular epoxy. I had toyed with the idea of putting on one layer of cloth, but as I tend to do my most productive building in the evenings (or all-nighters) leading up to a launch, and started that one two days before URRF last week, the layup never happened. This, however, was for the better, so as not to tamper with scientific method. The rocket is long enough for my 3" 10,000ns case. I made a fast-burning 6000ns blue motor to fly it at URRF, imitating the speed of a slower 10,000ns motor while still staying under the URRF waiver. The hot 6000 actually had it going close to Mach 2 in thicker air, so theoretically it was more taxing on the fins than would be a bigger, slower burning motor which has the rocket moving fastest up in the thinner air. Anyway, the flight was arrow straight and it worked perfect, the fins didn't budge, somewhat vindicating the theory. I flew my old 4" (heavy) min dia the same weekend on a motor almost twice the size, but got the same altitude, further underscoring the advantages of minimalistic building. The rocket, ready to fly except for motor, weighed something like 3 pounds.

I'm going to go to Kansas for Sweaty Balls weekend after next and try and take advantage of the great waiver they offer. One flight will be this rocket on the 10,000, but to justify the drive, I wanted another flight. I have a 17,500ns 98mm case, which I have flown a couple times in my old 98mm min dia at Black Rock, getting ~32k each time. I want to build a 4" min dia with this same principle, and fly it on the same motor, and see what kind of a performance boost I get. Sure, one layup would be cheap insurance and wouldn't add that much weight, but the test of the concept went great, so I'm going to give it a shot in pure form. I've got some 4" fiberglass tubes lying around and some scrap G10. I've got a little less than 10 days until I have to leave for the launch, and my girlfriend and I are going to be on vacation for five of those, which leaves just enough time to put this thing together and make the two motors. I'll do something of a build thread here, but there's not much to see, just gluing fins on a tube. My gut is they both work just fine. We'll find out.

Good to hear you still around Steve. Show us how its done

Steve, I've seen some of these methods before. I've used .125 G10 on a 5" min dia P flight with no issues. I've been using .097 lately. This should be a nice flight.

Tony

Ok, quick update. Back from 5 days at Lake George during which nothing got accomplished but a massive sunburn. The next three days are going to be hectic, all I got done before I left was pouring the grains for the 75/10,000 -- it had been a few years since I made one and I forgot what a PITA that load is to make. So, I need to mix the 98 motor and build the 98 rocket in three days' time. I never heard back from the Kloudbusters on my over 25k apps (Bob Brown, if you see this, did you receive my apps?)

Also special thanks to John Bolene at Mostly Missiles for getting me a 98 nozzle to replace my cracked old one in a pinch -- awesome customer service.

Also of interest, here's a video courtesy of Justin Gleiter (thanks Justin!) of the first flight of the 3" rocket two weeks ago on the 6000 blue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMR0KMU3cqE&list=UUfFy0p5Ikc-gM3UjS-YXQEw

Stay tuned...

Lake George is a chip shot from here...hope it disney rain too much!

Looking forward to this project.

So, I need to mix the 98 motor and build the 98 rocket in three days' time.

Don't think you would have it any other way. I won't be at the launch to help cut any tubes, so keep that in mind. :D

Good luck, looking forward to seeing these fly Steve.

Ok, so of course I didn't get as much done yesterday as I probably needed to, but I at least took a chunk out of the 98 airframe construction:

Fins of my standard shape cut out of .125" G10, roughed on a table saw, edged and beveled on a benchtop sander:

photo.jpg

And then roughed up really good at the root edge (have to take full advantage of limited bonding surface if the layup will be foregone):

photo-1.jpg

Airframe roughed up in a wave pattern (hey, I live on the beach, gotta take inspiration from somewhere). Roughed up 360 degrees to leave me the option for carbon tape or something in the future:

photo-2.jpg

And finally, the grains for the 75/10,000 waiting to be glued into the liner:

photo-3.jpg

Goals for today -- finish the fincan and build the nosecone, make the 17k motor in one monster mix tomorrow. Cut the grains, load that motor, pack up, and hit the road for my buddy's place in Chicago on Thursday. Stay tuned

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 153
Wow that's a lot of grains. What's your Kn range on that motor?

Looking forward to this flight, don't even need to wait too long.

Steve , whats your grain configuration on the 75/10000 ? Looks like three different cores . Looks like swamp gas to me .

Eric

Dan, Kn is 260-300. When I first made this motor my sophomore year of college, I was scared off of Kosdon's famous 4-grain inhibited design by the super high max Kn, so I went with the 10 grains to keep a neutral burn profile and while it may not be the best way to do this motor, it worked then, so I figure if it ain't broke...just going to light it 2/3 of the way up again, as I did last time (in the middle of grain #8) to circumvent the erosive spike at startup.

Eric, yes, three different cores. As I recall, I sent you the details of the motor when I did it the first time several years ago. Had a little bit of a crisis when gluing in the grains involving curing epoxy, surface tension on 52" of grains, and a hammer wrapped in paper towel to bump the last grain in to place and save the motor from going to waste. It will be fine, but I'm just paranoid enough to have nightmares of a cracked top grain all the way out to Kansas.

Spent most of the day at the doctor learning I need yet another surgery for an old sports injury, so I am once again behind on the day's task list. Time to go wrestle with this fin can.

Cut the grains, load that motor, pack up, and hit the road for my buddy's place in Chicago on Thursday. Stay tuned
Sucks you're back up north... If you were coming in to Chitown via 65/80/90-94 you could've swung by West Lafayette. Looks like a cool set of projects... good luck man!

So, I'm on a nice pace to finish the 98 rocket by the end of today...oh yeah, but I have to make the motor, and do all the non-rocket stuff on my list today. The epic conclusion is upon us.

Here's last night's progress:

Alignment is especially paramount with this minimalist arrangement, but I have no fancy tools with which to make a jig. On the 3", I used a leftover fin template from a 3" Mongoose I built years ago, which was a tremendous help, but no such luck here. With slotted airframes, I've long since come to the conclusion that I do far better aligning them on that axis by eye, so I made this system up of taping popsicle sticks around the fin line to mimic a slot, thereby only leaving the one axis to worry about during the 5 minute cure when I'm holding it in place and adjusting. To my surprise, this worked awesome:

photo-4.jpg

Fin #1 tacked on:

photo-5.jpg

1st set of fillets on:

photo-6.jpg

Out to the shop now

This might be a dumb question, but why put the fins so far forward? They look like they are more then 1 body tube diameter from the aft of the rocket. I understand that placing the fins forward helps aerodynamics somewhat, but I wasn't sure of how much forward they needed to be to dramatically improve the aerodynamics.

:pop:

Alex

While I can't speak to the exact reasoning of Steve's fin placement, another benefit of moving them forward is to get the fin attachment/layup away from the heat soak of the graphite nozzle. It also reduces the likelihood of a fin being damaged on landing.

This might be a dumb question, but why put the fins so far forward? They look like they are more then 1 body tube diameter from the aft of the rocket. I understand that placing the fins forward helps aerodynamics somewhat, but I wasn't sure of how much forward they needed to be to dramatically improve the aerodynamics.

:pop:

Alex

Alex,

I have always tended to mount fins just over 1 tube diameter up. On the 3", they're 4" up. On this one, they're 5" up. It's not all about aerodynamics in this instance -- graphite nozzles are especially effective with heat transfer, and this particular motor has 10% aluminum, which tends to burn pretty hot. So, mounting the fins up a bit to keep them away from the nozzle and is a good idea. Keeping the fillets from softening during flight is a good thing.

This project looks really cool! Man you are crazy, I don't think I could ever build a rocket like this in three days. What propellant are you running? 7210, or something similar? this rocket looks pretty similar to mine except it doesn't have carbon lay-ups.

Good luck! When you are looking for your rocket, keep an eye out for parts of my shreded 98mm rocket, it should be 3-10 miles east of the site.

Manny

P.S If you are in the area tomorrow after 5 or so, I'd love to take a look at this rocket, I'm about 45 minutes north of the city right on 94.

This project looks really cool! Man you are crazy, I don't think I could ever build a rocket like this in three days. What propellant are you running? 7210, or something similar? this rocket looks pretty similar to mine except it doesn't have carbon lay-ups.

Good luck! When you are looking for your rocket, keep an eye out for parts of my shreded 98mm rocket, it should be 3-10 miles east of the site.

Manny

P.S If you are in the area tomorrow after 5 or so, I'd love to take a look at this rocket, I'm about 45 minutes north of the city right on 94.

Manny,

Thanks. Yeah, I'm an 11th hour guy by nature, so eventually I just stopped fighting it. My Balls planning starts annually around August 1 (a good 10 months after most of my friends have started their projects) and construction usually commences around September 1. Last year's project (the 6" composite case) pushed this idea about as far as I'm willing to push it, as James mentioned, cutting tubes at sunset on the playa and pulling two consecutive all-nighters in the RV while everybody else was drinking and hanging out. All was worth it in the end, but after that, all this procrastination seems B-level.

Propellant is 68/10, ever since I ran out of my current batch of Oxamide I've been doing a bimodal 200/90 68/10 that gives me nice burn times and is easy on my cases. I'll trade in a bit of ISP for that any day, and it suits this project well just because I'd like to keep the speed down and the burn time up.

My buddy also lives off of 94 north of the city, on the beach at the Evanston/Wilmette city line. I'm hoping to leave here tomorrow by noon (which at this point seems optimistic), but should be pulling in around 1 or 2 am. We'll probably have a cigar and a beer out on the beach when I get in, you're welcome to swing by then, and then we'll probably have breakfast around 9 the next morning and then I'll be on my way by 10. So it's whatever works.

Got all three fillets on, nosecone/ebay, minor rocket details (rail buttons, etc.,) and mixing the motor remain on the list for today. And going to the gym at some point. Back to work

Rocket is done minus small details (vent holes, shear pins, rail buttons).

Going to run to the gym before it closes at 10, take my girlfriend out for a drink since I'm vanishing for the next week, and then it's time to mix an N motor.

Gonna be a late one, need to stock up on Red Bull for my drive tomorrow.

Alex,

I have always tended to mount fins just over 1 tube diameter up. On the 3", they're 4" up. On this one, they're 5" up. It's not all about aerodynamics in this instance -- graphite nozzles are especially effective with heat transfer, and this particular motor has 10% aluminum, which tends to burn pretty hot. So, mounting the fins up a bit to keep them away from the nozzle and is a good idea. Keeping the fillets from softening during flight is a good thing.
Thanks for the explanation.
Can't wait to see videos and pics of the flight!

Alex

Well, wasn't that just a blast, mixing, packing, and cleaning 9400g of runny propellant curing with straight Papi94, alone, at 4 in the morning the day I leave. My 12qt bowl was well beyond max capacity, I'd done that amount with a higher solids mix but 68/10 has so much air to pull out that it took 11 times pulling and releasing the vacuum before the bowl could contain it, which ate half of my packing time. That sure was interesting but the show goes on.

So ends one of the most demanding days of my rocketry career, and that's saying something. Up in four hours to tie up loose ends on everything and load up the car, then 850 miles to reflect and I'll pull in to Chicago tomorrow night. Lee's Summit, MO to stay with my godmother Friday night, Argonia early Saturday morning. I'll update after the first flight. Over and out

You make it sound too much like work. I have 2 kg of propellant that has been sitting in the bowl since Sunday, awaiting curative and packing. Just haven't gotten the drive to add curative, mix, scrape, vacuum, roll and pack...

Wow!! You know you’re just getting started in this hobby when someone’s motor tube is larger in diameter than your biggest rocket and the propellant alone weighs more than your heaviest rocket.

On another subject; the title of this post? Shouldn’t it be more “Family friendly”? Perhaps “Perspiring Gonads”?

I’ll be at the Perspiring Gonads launch and I’ll be looking forward and upwards to seeing this launch.

“I am a high-power rocket expert. If you see me running; try and keep up”.

Back