Support our hobby!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my LaserLOC 1.614 minimum diameter kit from LOC yesterday.

Have already started the 38mm to 29mm motor adapter. I build a lot of kits in parallel fashion. In this case, the LaserLOC 2.23 is sitting on the bench right next to the BT60 “baby brother”. Slight differences but essentially the same kits.

Received my NASA chute bundle with 3-way bridle from Rocketman, with an extra 4 foot blue and red rotating star chute. I suspect that was supposed to be my custom 5 foot red, white and blue chute, email sent. Also got my Nomex blankets from Fruity Chutes, very nice indeed. And some swivels.

Received my chute liners from Fruity Chutes this morning along with a couple of Rosco swivels.

Purchases were part of a sale to celebrate the completion of the FC site upgrade.

Ordered what I hope to be everything I need to do a Nike Zeus from Loc including both stages being DD and GPS tracker in the nose. Should be able to build it to do G to G but also support I to long burn I.

Shipped the 4 ft. rotating star parachute to the correct person in Indiana, and he should be shipping my custom 5 ft. red, white and blue parachute to me. Buddy will be picking up the tab for the shipping. Also my 2 cool spool and Tardis are out for delivery today. 😄

Had to order a BT60 1/8” fin thickness building guide from Badass Rocketry.

Placed my order Wednesday{?) and the package arrived this morning.

Well done, Ian! Well done.

Admittedly, Henderson Nevada is only maybe 500 miles from me but today I will be mounting fins on my LaserLOC 1.6 all the same.

Went to grab one of my 29mm rocket stands to ease painting of my Bomarc. That's when I realized I have ample 13, 18 and 24mm stands, and even a nice plywood 38mm, but zero 29mm. I look at my collection, along with the build pile, and it becomes clear that it would not hurt to have one or two or many 29mm stands. Pleased with the quality of Qualman's fin guides, I decided to try their stands, bonus is they are the least expensive out there, coming two to a set. Three sets ordered. I have Apogee stands in the other sizes, and I really do like them, so I am eager to see how these measure up.

Went to grab one of my 29mm rocket stands to ease painting of my Bomarc. That's when I realized I have ample 13, 18 and 24mm stands, and even a nice plywood 38mm, but zero 29mm. I look at my collection, along with the build pile, and it becomes clear that it would not hurt to have one or two or many 29mm stands. Pleased with the quality of Qualman's fin guides, I decided to try their stands, bonus is they are the least expensive out there, coming two to a set. Three sets ordered. I have Apogee stands in the other sizes, and I really do like them, so I am eager to see how these measure up.
I make spike strips out of dowels and pine boards.

Choose the dowel diameters to fit your motor tubes, bearing in mind that a 38mm will fit on 29mm stands and 54mm will fit on 38mm stands so you have a lot of flexibility there.

Home Depot or Lowe’s has everything you need. It’s helpful if you have a small drill press and some Forstner bits to hog out the holes for the dowels.

CE3E2462-449F-42C1-B5C9-9E82CF721893.jpeg

This has enough weight to not tip over at the slightest bump.

OMG...I have become Micromeister...

I make spike strips out of dowels and pine boards.

Choose the dowel diameters to fit your motor tubes, bearing in mind that a 38mm will fit on 29mm stands and 54mm will fit on 38mm stands so you have a lot of flexibility there.

Home Depot or Lowe’s has everything you need. It’s helpful if you have a small drill press and some Forstner bits to hog out the holes for the dowels.

View attachment 418144

This has enough weight to not tip over at the slightest bump.

OMG...I have become Micromeister...
I have certainly thought about doing something very similar, but then it wouldn't be an appropriate post for a Support Our Hobby thread, maybe..? I suppose Home Depot and Lowe's are part of our hobby, I certainly buy a lot of supplies there but I'm not sure they are in danger of going out of business due to COVID-19. 🤔 ;)

I couldn't resist, ordered a Bak JaiKai' from Magma Mountain... and received my 5 foot custom chute that was shipped to the wrong person, and the incorrect one I received has been delivered to same.

I’m looking for a long streamer for my ”Mile High” bird.

Saw something on RocketMan that I like. Long (15’), packs small (fits in a BT60 tube), bright color with black contrast, and reasonably priced.

Common flagging tape can be used for this. Probably less than $10 for several hundred feet of it.

This was on mine:

2020-05-30.jpg

Since my last post I have ordered a few more Mach 1 kits, a Wildman kit, some more motor retainers, a couple of LOC park flyers, a few Micro Max kits from eRockets, some motor adapters form Apogee, I may be forgetting something... Also ordered and received a becnh belt/disk sander so I can stop avoiding my bigger plywood/cardboard build pile from fear of fin sanding... :rolleyes: 🤔 😁

Recently ordered a number of bits and bobs from Wildman to the tune of $200 or so.

Aerotech 54-426 Motor
Aerotech 54 Front Closure plugged/tapped
Aerotech 38 Front Closure plugged/tapped

Also from MissileWorks about $70 worth of...

54mm Landru alt sled
29mm Landru alt sled (Li-Ion)
Switches, terminals, connectors, etc.

Stabilizing the Amateur Rocketry industry...

Ordered a 30’ long 5” wide nylon streamer consisting of alternating neon pink and black 5’ long segments for visibility purposes.

When your rocket is a mile high it’s good to be able to spot it.

Received the shipping/tracking number a few minutes ago.

Didn't need anything rocket related at this time so I purchased a gift certificate from our local vendor. That will give him a quick infusion of cash and I'll redeem it when this all settles down

Ordered a set of fin beveling tools from North Coast Rocketry.

They’re listed on the website as “Airfoil Assistants” because they can br used fir that as well.

Helpful hint: Fold the sandpaper BEFORE you slide it into the bevel slot.

As shown in the instructions, a single strip of masking tape really is all you need to hold the sandpaper in place. Apply the tape AFTER you have the sandpaper in the slot.

Last edited:
Back