Support our hobby!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
Folks,

The COVID-19 Virus has affected all of us in one way or another.

The cancelling of all launches is impacting many of the manufacturers/vendors which our hobby depends on.
Many of these manufacturers/vendors are small/medium size businesses without any sort of financial ability to weather a prolonged shut down of hobby rocket flying.

I am asking each of us, if possible, to place orders with these manufacturers/vendors to help keep them afloat during this challenging time.

Folks,

The COVID-19 Virus has affected all of us in one way or another.

The cancelling of all launches is impacting many of the manufacturers/vendors which our hobby depends on.
Many of these manufacturers/vendors are small/medium size businesses without any sort of financial ability to weather a prolonged shut down of hobby rocket flying.

I am asking each of us, if possible, to place orders with these manufacturers/vendors to help keep them afloat during this challenging time.
I posted something along those lines on facebook a few days ago.
Thank you for posting here

Yes this C19 will pass. We all need to support our dealers and manufactors in what way we can. A good number of the vendors it's their only income.

Last edited:
Been doing my part with one or more orders with Animal Works, LOC Precision, Mach 1, and eRockets over the past 3 weeks.
I’ve done the same.

2 Mach 1 Rocketry: 1 Chimera 65, 1 Red Shift
VanderBurn: 1 Cherokee-H kit from Toby
E-Rockets: 1 Estes Astron Sprint XL
Hobby Lobby: 3 Estes Kits Big Daddy, Vapor, Mini Red Max
Rocketry Works: 1 Big Daddy 29mm Plywood Centering Rings & Fins upgrade kit
Bay Area Rocketry: $500 in motors
Apogee: RocketPoxy and Fix-It Epoxy putty

Whoa...Hopefully Mrs. OD doesn’t read my posts here.

Maybe I should have paid the extra fee for receipts in the amounts I said I paid.

Yes, please support our hobby vendors :)
I plan on buying a few kits this weekend from a few different vendors.

I used to own a hobby store, lost it in the 2008 mess :(

Toy rockets are non-essential...

During this time of national crisis...

Will have to find some place other than Hobby Lobby for a while:

Hobby Lobby closing all stores, issuing mass furloughs
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...all-stores-issuing-mass-furloughs/ar-BB128K4j
From the article; the reference in the last paragraph was to a letter that the CEO sent, saying essentially that his wife had a message from God to keep the stores open. I guess God changed his mind...
---------------
In a statement posted on the company website on Friday afternoon, Hobby Lobby announced it will furlough "nearly all store employees" without pay and "is ending emergency leave pay and suspending use of company provided paid time off benefits and vacation."

"As the country continues efforts to manage and mitigate the devastating health and economic impacts of the COVID-19 virus, Hobby Lobby will, after careful consideration, close the remainder of its stores, and furlough nearly all store employees and a large portion of corporate and distribution employees, effective Friday, April 3rd, at 8:00 p.m," Hobby Lobby posted on its website. "The stores will remain closed until further notice."

According to three employees, each speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, managers at their stores called teams into a meeting to deliver the news on Friday afternoon.

"The line our manager gave us was, 'The employees got what the employees wanted, the stores were closed,'" a Hobby Lobby employee in Indiana said. "My question was did God tell them they needed to closed the stores and not pay us?" '

I am not going to get into God on a forum. While I do buy some stuff from H.L. I generally prefer to purchase from our online small rocket vendors. Most are Ma and Pa and their business is pretty much just rocketry.

I hope we get over this curve soon and can get back to normal :)

From the article; the reference in the last paragraph was to a letter that the CEO sent, saying essentially that his wife had a message from God to keep the stores open. I guess God changed his mind...
---------------
In a statement posted on the company website on Friday afternoon...

In the second paragraph of the announcement they explain that the steps they are taking allows employess to take full advantage of the CARES act. I'm not sure if this is true however, given how thoroughly congress-critters screw up legislation, it is plausible.

Funny thing, I read the supposed "letter from god". Maybe I'm just dense however my take is you have to already dislike the company or the owners to read into it the "god said so...". And I really don't like the store so that's saying something.

In the second paragraph of the announcement they explain that the steps they are taking allows employess to take full advantage of the CARES act. I'm not sure if this is true however, given how thoroughly congress-critters screw up legislation, it is plausible.

Funny thing, I read the supposed "letter from god". Maybe I'm just dense however my take is you have to already dislike the company or the owners to read into it the "god said so...". And I really don't like the store so that's saying something.

But Al...that's not edgy enough! You know that!

I have shipments from SBD and Apogee out for delivery right now, a pre-order also with SBD, with orders pending from AMW, MoreRockets, Rocketman, eRockets and Mach1. Did I forget anyone? I'm here to help. :rolleyes:

I received an order from erockets yesterday and one from qualman today. So I did my part

Thats it. They are under quarantine in the garage. I did this with some remorse. Yes, this is non-essential stuff.

Rant begins:

If only essential deliveries were made the system would probably collapse and maybe the people we elected (leaders obviously does not apply) would get their heads on straight and realize that lives are more important than corporate bailouts. End rant.

Thank you for letting me vent. I feel better

Have about $100 in an av bay kit and miscellaneous parts for another in my cart at smtdesigns.com .

Considering a 2.2” LaserLOC minimum diameter kit...another $110...so I can work on my fiberglassing skills.

I should probably change my user ID from old_dude and Big Daddy Warbucks to Uncle Sugar.

I have ordered from Quest, Boyce Aerospace Hobbies, eRockets and Apogee.

I think there will be a few more orders in another week or two. ;)

Mach 1 Rocketry
Ordered a couple of kits to try them. The 18mm and 24mm kits cost just a little more than cardboard kits. Thin FG airframe and standard blow mold nosecones.

Attachments

• 071BA820-243B-4CF8-B146-E8C42D05AB30.jpeg
    071BA820-243B-4CF8-B146-E8C42D05AB30.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 27C03AA3-5655-4249-8CE8-98FE8310F326.jpeg
    27C03AA3-5655-4249-8CE8-98FE8310F326.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 85512216-6899-43CC-971A-94B6D4BE9FAA.jpeg
    85512216-6899-43CC-971A-94B6D4BE9FAA.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 9EDD8545-5AC9-4D3B-B778-A0CE56069F6C.jpeg
    9EDD8545-5AC9-4D3B-B778-A0CE56069F6C.jpeg