Super Nova Payloader Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today I had a chance to launch this SUPER-sized payloader. Having never really been a fan of "payloaders", this rocket slipped under the radar; I bought one on a clearance at Hobby Lobby just for the nose cone. But after looking at the parts, I bought another to build. I am really impressed with this kit....even more so at the $4.50 clearance price. It is basically a BLUE NINJA with a nice sized payload section on top. When built, it is a large rocket about 4ft. tall!:eek:

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This large rocket came out to about 8 oz. when built...there was NO painting at all (yeah!!) and I "recruited" some individuals for the payload. This brought the overall weight up to nearly 12 oz. so I went with a D12-3 instead of the recommended D12-5....even though I built it to take an Estes E motor.:)

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Liftoff on a D12-3 with an Estes 24" nylon chute: :D

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Liftoff was slow and straight up...the delay was just past apogee...would not recommend a D12-5, this is a BIG rocket! Pretty rapid descent on the 24" chute....might use a 30" chute with no wind. This rocket should be able to take more power....an Aerotech E30 would be awesome!!!:D

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My "rubber bugs" payload was not too happy...some CROWDING occured on acceleration even with the lowly D12! :( Imagine how happy they would be with an E30!!!;) If you run across one of these kits, give it a look...you will be pleasantly suprised!!:) :)

bcdlr

Reaction score
Nice write-up and nice pics. I hope I run into a HL that has one on clearance now. ;)

Habu

Reaction score
I had one of these.
The last time I saw it was just after launch on an F21.
:rolleyes:

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Originally posted by billEblurzz
My "rubber bugs" payload was not too happy...some CROWDING occured on acceleration even with the lowly D12! :( Imagine how happy they would be with an E30!!!;) If you run across one of these kits, give it a look...you will be pleasantly suprised!!:) :)
Very nice right up Bill:
When I saw the name I thought someone had copied one of my Upscales;)
Payload models are great for night launch electronics and that one looks like a perfect candidate. I'm guessing the payload section is BT-50?
Heres a screatch build, night flying BT-50 payloader similar in construction. it to has NO paint on it at all:)

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
here's my scratch built Super Nova Payloader-II 4 D12 cluster

slim_t

Reaction score
Originally posted by Micromeister
I'm guessing the payload section is BT-50
Actually on the Super Nova, the clear payload is BT55 or 56.
A nice size. The main BT is BT60 then transitions to the clear payload.

I like all those LED's. Much better than glowsticks, I would think. :)
Expecially the way it lights up the NC. Nice.

Tim

bcdlr

Reaction score
I like the nosecone LED. That's a great idea.
Will have to try that.
I have an Estes Echostar payloader (in the bag) and that would work well in that.

SmkSignals

Reaction score
I am picking one of these up this week. We go to the desert alot off-roading. I can't wait to launch this with glo-sticks in there. Gonna be awesome !!!!:D

huxley

Reaction score
Great weather for December. All ready to go, but the darn Testors plastic cement I used had dried up and the body tube let go at the seam right before launch! I did not have and CA glue in my box, so now I have to wait till next year to launch her on her maiden voyage :(

My small tribute to the mighty Super Nova Payloader: :)

https://www.xmission.com/~huxley/rockets/supernova/index.htm

Pat