Super Loki Datasonde

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket trike

Reaction score
I am working on a some what scale rocket. It is pretty close to scale tha fins are a little big and the dart is a tad bigger. It is still turning out to be a kool rocket. It will be 43" tall. I am putting in a 24mm motor mount but I am make a 18mm adapter.

Here is a picture of the Loki Dart some what close to the rocket I am doiing.

Very cool Tom! Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see this one as a kit! :D :D

Jason

Here is the Dart just about finished. Just need the fillit and paint but looks like I am going to have to wait for the paint the weather is getting bad here.

That Dart is really nice:cool:
Is it a two stage job? If so what's the best way to gap stage with the transition. Ive built my HopiDart and NikeApache as single shots because that's what I had laying around for spare parts (plastic transitions and cones). I'd like to try staging these birds depending on how these protos fly.
Bob

This is a single stage. I am not sure how to make it into a s tage with the dart being the second stage.

you could use a really small timer otherwise you would need to gap stage and that seems to be a long way

either way the rocket looks really great. Nice job

Real darts use drag separation of the dart from the booster. The interstage couple is simply a 15 degree half angle conical boattail on the dart sitting in a conical bore on the top of the booster. A real dart is typically has heavy as the empty booster, but since the diameter is much smaller, the sectional density and therefore the ballistic coefficient is greater for the dart. On the pad, and on boost, gravity keeps the dart attached to the booster. Once the motor burns out, the booster drag slows down it with respect to the dart and the separation occurs.

Bob Krech

Hallo Bob.
Do you have more details about Darts? Especially links, calculations etc.?

Sly

A dart is a small diameter, high sectional density unpowered payload section placed on top of a fast burn high thrust booster.

The idea is that the booster gets the payload dart up to a very high speed in a few seconds, and then by drag separation the low drag dart coast to a very high altitude due to its momentum and high ballistic coefficient.

Try doing a google search on "Super Loki Dart" and you will get lots of information.

Asp Rocketry make a nice scale model of the Super Loki.

https://www.asp-rocketry.com/superloki24mmimage.html

As applied to model rockets,

https://members.acmenet.net/~jvincent/RandD/bd/bd.html

https://www.naram.org/contest/R_and_D.html

Hope this gets you on the right path.

Bob Krech

Very nice! May I ask where you got such fine Transitions and nosecones from?
-Karl

Thanks for informations, Bob.
It is really interested. I think, i should build such a beast, maybe in midpower-size.

Tom:
found this Lift-off b&w photo that you may find interesting.
should make a good addition to you data packet;)

Speaking of data packets, I think NARTS may still sell the Super loki Sart Scale data packet. If they do it's well worth the few bucks they ask.

a little more info: First stage burns for 6.5seconds. From there aerodynamic forces seperate the booster from the dart which coasts to a peak altitiude of approximately 200,000 feet.

I was considerng making a full scale loki dart, but then I realized that it would go out of my sight very fast, and would almost certianly loose the dart. Darts are a very good way to learn about the science behind rocketry, and show you how altitude, drag, burnout veloxity, and mass are all intertwined.

I almost got to see a real loki dart launch at Rockets for Schools in Sheboygan, but at the last minute, the launch crew had some electrical problems and could not launch!!! :(

The dart is supposed to reach Mach 1.5 by the time the booster leaves the one and a half twist aluminium launch tower. Drooooool........

Btw, the dart looks awesome!

Back