Super Glotova

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry Lynch launched prototype #1 last weekend (August 14th I think) with a Pro38 I205 to a Pro38 G69 at an Erie Tripoli launch. The G-Wiz altimeter reported 2,504 feet. He few it without the strap on boosters. There was a minor recovery problem, which confirmed one of the problems I thought would happen, but there was no damage. So we decided that the main chute should go in the lower section... the oposite of what I usually do. In Sept he will fly it again with the strap ons. He also plans on taking it to Black Rock this October to fly it full power! J's in the 38's, not sure what he plans to stuff in the strap-ons.

Today I finished sanding the "pink" Bondo I use for fillets. This stuff adds surprising strength to the fin joints.

Pink_Bondo.jpg

Then I applied some "red" Bondo to finish the initial fillets.

Red_Bondo.jpg

Tomorrow, the weather looks good, so I will be sanding the Bondo, and applying the first coat of primer. Most likely, more Red Bondo will be required between coats (primer always reveals more spots that need filled).

I hope to have this project finished by the end of this week or next :). The Super Glotova will then be on display at the Sept 18th 2004 CMASS launch, and flown with two H128's and F40's at the Oct 2nd CMASS launch. There is a small chance that Barry might (and I mean "might") be able to stop by to watch the launch. He may even bring prototype #1 :D. Would that be cool. Two Super Glotova's at one launch :D.

Wow, that is cool:cool:

I can't wait to see that thing painted. As for the J to J staging, go with the J400SS to J400SS:D

That would be one killer flight!!!

P.S. Got enough Bondo on there???:D :D :D

You can never have enough bondo :D. I just bought two more tubes today :D. One for myself, the other to replace the one I "borrowed" from my dad.

Good thing Red Bondo is easy to sand :)

VERY NICE JOB!

You don't have enough Bondo on there Doug, you need to get a drum and 'dip' in Bondo to get the right amount :) That smooths out everything!

Also, I know your flying it on two J400SS loads, but I have some nice J1200's you could fly it on if your really inclined to :)

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
Also, I know your flying it on two J400SS loads, but I have some nice J1200's you could fly it on if your really inclined to :)

Actually, mine probabily won't see a J, Barry's will though. Not sure which ones he is using :).

And I like my fins to stay on my rockets ;). I learned that from my Praetor ;).

Originally posted by n3tjm
Actually, mine probabily won't see a J, Barry's will though. Not sure which ones he is using :).

And I like my fins to stay on my rockets ;). I learned that from my Praetor ;).

Ok, use two 5 grain I350SS motors, that should keep the fins on.

Besides, this isn't the Praetor and the fins aren't as big so I don't think you have to worry too much about them getting torn off.;)

Today was the day that I wanted to attach the recruits to the booster. So the first thing I did was prep the recruits for attachment. I epoxied the aluminum pins into the recruits. The holes for these are drilled into the centering ring of the 29mm motor mount.

Recruit_Mounts.jpg

Then I sanded the Red Bondo that I aplied yesterday. That did not take much time to do, since red bondo is so easy to sand. After the sanding was finished, I went about attaching the recruits to the booster.

Attaching_Recruits.jpg

Here is how it works... the rear pin sits below the aft centering ring, so when the motor is firing, it pushes against that. The only thing the fwd pin goes into is the wall of the tubing. This one is used for alinging the recruit.

Recruit_Attached.jpg

Once I adjusted the forward hole so the alignment was proper, I smeared some epoxy on both the recruit and body, and then applied the recruit. I checked alignment between the fins and along the length of the body. Once I was satisfied with the allignment, I held the assembly in place with masking tape.

Cool_View.jpg

Finally, both recruits are attached. Only one thing left to do to finish it... add the support rods. I asked my brother to pick me up some 3/16" dowel rods. He was not home yet so I took a couple of these flight-condition shots :). Here are a couple more:

Side View
Standing Up

Support_Rods.jpg

Finally the dowel rods were in my hands, so I cut them to length, tapered the forward end, and glued them between the recruit and body joints. Don't want those to come off during powered flight ;).

you should put parachutes in those recruits. And fill the back CR with epoxy so you cant see those rods ;)

Okay, I keep getting confused. "Strap On Boosters" ;)

Looks good, it would be cool if you made the boosters separate as soon as they burn out and recover separately.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
you should put parachutes in those recruits.

Originally posted by DPatell.
Looks good, it would be cool if you made the boosters separate as soon as they burn out and recover separately.

Believe me, I thought of this. However, I decided that the kit version of the rocket should be the basic version shown here, with suggestions on how to do those things mentioned. This will keep the kit cost down, and give the builder a sense of accomplishment to do it their own way :)

I believe Barry is going to use those removable strap on booster connectors for his Super Glotova. Its a good idea, but since those things are pricey, they will not be included in the kit.

Oh, and Ryan, I did plan to pour in the epoxy ;). But I am not going to cover them completly because I think the pins look cool :cool:

I think the pins look cool too and I don't see how they could be covered up anyway.

I can't wait to see the finished product.:D

Here's the perfect motor combo:

2 I200W's in the recruits

1 I350SS staging to another I350SS.:D :cool:

Great job, Doug! I vote I600R and twin I200's and then stage to say...another I600R or an I540...or a longburn Ellis motor...arrgh!!!! too many possibilities!!!!! Well at least you can know that I think it's awesome, and it really is.

Doug,

Are you talking Barry as in Barry of LOC or someone else?

Cause if you're talking Barry as in LOC...and he decides to kit this...DROOOL!

Jason

It's looking great Doug !
as Martha would say...ah scratchbuilding...it's a good thing....

Hey doug,

You do a great job! I want to see some flights and then I'll have some EX stuff for you to fly that sucker on!

Edward

Mom_with_SG.jpg

Here she is :). (I knew you guys wanted to meet my mom ;))

Doug_hpsgb.jpg

I only had one problem.... I went to touch up one of the smaller cones... and it bubbled :(. I will have to sand it tomorrow... and repaint it. I hate it when that happens :(

Me holding it :)

Looks great Doug.
Planning on putting any skull and crossbone decals on her? ;)

I'm sure you're going to take videos of the flight and post them on your site, right? I wish I could get broadband around here, so I could catch up on all your videos. So when are you going to offer a DVD?

Good luck.

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
Planning on putting any skull and crossbone decals on her? ;)

Well personally, I think his mom looks fine *without* the skull and crossbone decals...

:p :p :p

LOL. I knew someone would say it. :D
I knew it as soon as I hit the reply button. :p

Sorry Doug, I meant the rocket. I don't know what's wrong with Jim. Not enough sleep, I guess. ;) :D

Tim

That *IS* typical of Jim's jokes ;).

Sorry, not skulls and crossbone for this rocket... Its the Super Glotova, not the DER RED MAX ;)

Alt_installed.jpg

I decided to use the G-Wiz LC Deluxe in the dual battery mode, utilizing a key switch for arming. You will note that the soldered on battery lead is neatly tucked away out of the way. It is not used.

Alt_in_bay.jpg

Here is a pic of everything installed. Note the fiber-optic cables. That allows me to see what the LED's are doing without peeking through peep holes.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
isnt that a LC?

Ummm... it's got a baro sensor so I'm gonna have to go with a no on that one...

Looks good Doug, I love that compact electronics bay. Good idea with the fiber-optics, I got over the LEDs really fast and just soldered a beeper onto the unit!

Originally posted by n3tjm

I decided to use the G-Wiz LC Deluxe in the dual battery mode, utilizing a key switch for arming. You will note that the soldered on battery lead is neatly tucked away out of the way. It is not used.

Here is a pic of everything installed. Note the fiber-optic cables. That allows me to see what the LED's are doing without peeking through peep holes.

Wow. I like that fiber-optic cable idea! I remember having some with my Lego sets, where did you get yours?

EDIT: removed picture

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Wow. I like that fiber-optic cable idea! I remember having some with my Lego sets, where did you get yours?
Lamp.jpg

Target. For $6 you get a cool fiber-optic lamp. I used 16 of the 100's of strands... which leaves you a cool night light ;).

Finished_Bay.jpg

Here is a pic of the completed bay :)

Back