Super Glotova

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Some of you may of remembered a rocket I built a couple years ago, called the "Glotova."
Glotova_Launched_IMG_0915.jpg

She had several beatiful flights, and finally was retired and I gave it to the girl who the rocket was named after.

Well guess what is in the horizon.... ;) (still needs the recruits)

The Super Glotova you are looking at in the photo is prototype number 1. Built in Ohio. Right now it has been painted, without the recruits. I will recieve the parts to build my prototype either on Wednesday or Thursday. My version will have the recruits.

The Super Glotova features 38mm motor mount tubes in the stages, and will have 29mm mounts in the recruits.

I must still have boot camp on the brain, but what do you mean by recruits. All I can picture is some nervous kid getting screamed at for blinking too many times.:rolleyes:

what Doug ment to say was Strap On Booster, permenantly strapped

Originally posted by Rocketman248
I must still have boot camp on the brain, but what do you mean by recruits. All I can picture is some nervous kid getting screamed at for blinking too many times.:rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing...lol

Great looking rocket, Doug!!! Boy - she must be some girl to inspire two awesome designs!

Loopy

Slight delay in the project. The parts did not ship yet. They got a large order... so payed packages get priority over stuff they are sending for free ;). Well, this guinea pig knows not to bite the hand that feeds him... especially since I get to play with a G-Wiz Altimeter... which will be used for staging, and dual deploy :).

I hope this becomes a kit :)

Super_Glotova_Parts.jpg

Looks like I have enough to start building the Super Glotova. Right off the bat, I already have ideas what I am going to do. You will notice that I have two short lengths of 3" dia tubing... I don't think I will implement those tubes. Also... notice the number of tube couplers and stiffy tubes included? The idea is to line the wall of the booster with these tubes. I am not sure if I am going to do that.

The other thing I need to do is figure out where I want to put the altimeter bay. I am thinking about inside the transition. Would there be a functional problem with putting the altimeter in a transition? Like there would be in nosecones?

If the altimeter is barometer based you may have problems placing it in the transition due to turbulant airflow.
It would have to at least be vented just forward of the transition through the upper shoulder where the air is more stable.

Originally posted by missileman
If the altimeter is barometer based you may have problems placing it in the transition due to turbulant airflow.

Yes, that's absolutely right, as a rule of thumb static ports should be at least 4 to 6 diameters away form any change in diameter...

But Doug here is using an accelerometer-based unit, the G-Wiz MC I guess, so really no matter where and if the ports are placed, the worst that could happen is to get an incorrect baro-graph or an incorrect main deployment altitude (since the apogee is fired by the accelerometer algorithm).

Great rocket BTW, and a bunch of components as well... enjoy it and keep us updated !!!

or an incorrect main deployment altitude (since the apogee is fired by the accelerometer algorithm).

I would think it would not affect the main chute deployment since the airflow of the rocket will be different coming down after the apogee charge goes off :).

Today I started construction of the Super Glotova. Primary focus was on the motor mounts. First I started with the Recruit's 29mm mounts. The centering rings were a tight fit on the 29mm tube, notice how I pealed a layer from the centering rings.

29mm_Mounts.jpg

I also got the Booster motor mount assembled. This rocket uses three centering rings on the 38mm motor mounts. The final ring will be installed affter the fins are attached, and fillets are in place.

Booster_Motor_Mount.jpg

I was going to have the Sustainer motor mount finished today, but I changed my mind about something. I originally was going to use a 18" length of BT-5 tubing as the electrical conduit tube... but I found that there was not much space between the 38mm motor tube and the 3" airframe tube. Sure, it will fit, but my concern was splitting the centering ring trying to drill a hole for the conduit. So I decided to go back to my original idea and use a length of aluminum (or brass) tubing. I need to buy some, so I put the sustainer mount to the side for now.

Construction will continue on Wednesday :)

Just found out which altimeter I am getting... A G-Wiz Deluxe 800. Wohoo! Reading the instructions now :)

Looks real good Doug. Coming along really nicely. Now it's your turn to reply to my thread! :p

You are doing real good at the photo documentary.

Jason

Today I spent the evening at Jakes house putting together the Super Glotova. Everything went smoothly, and my interstage coupler idea worked out great :). There is one minor change I am going to make in the kit design... which fixes a minor issue with the recruit attachment. Sorry... can't give all its secrets away ;).

Anyway, hear is the Super Gotova, in all of its glory :)
Basic_Construction_Complete.jpg

Note... I may be shortening the top tube from 34" to 27".

Doug! Nice, nice work man. Great, great, great. I love it. How ya gonna paint it?

That thing is awesome! Almost looks like it would have enough power to launch Catzilla over there a few thousand feet...:D

Loopy

Originally posted by marvSRG
Doug! Nice, nice work man. Great, great, great. I love it. How ya gonna paint it?

I am thinking Red, with shinny gold cones and details... however... I have not had much luck with gold paints... so I am not sure yet :)

Outstanding job, man !!! That thing is huge !!! Any pre-thought about first launch motor setup ?

Originally posted by g_boxwood
Outstanding job, man !!! That thing is huge !!! Any pre-thought about first launch motor setup ?

That depends on its final weight ;). I am thinking about a couple H128's, and F40's. I want to keep it below 3000 at CMASS... so I will make the final decission when I know its final details, where I can do a more accurate sim :)

Wow!
I think Super is a bit a an understatement.
How bout Mega Gimungus Glotova.

Looks great, man. Can't wait to see it painted and flown.

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
I think Super is a bit a an understatement.
How bout Mega Gimungus Glotova.

Save that one for the 4" diameter version... Actually, that will be called the Omega Glotova ;)

Also on the drawing board is the Glotova II - Imagine... 5 D12s staging to 3 D12's :D. Fury of BP fun...

Back to topics... Check out this cool pic :) Here I am marking the location for the aft centering ring for the sustainer.

Marking_aft_ring.jpg

Got some more work done on the SG. Today I made epoxy fillets on the fins. There was a lot gaps between the fins and the body tube, so to keep the epoxy from running through the gaps, I lind the opposite side with scotch tape. Aftr the epoxy cured, I removed the tape ad did the other side.

Epoxy_fillets.jpg

I also worked on cutting the tubes. I cut off 6" from the Sustainer Main Body tube, which is where the LOC 3" electronics bay will go. Then I opened the ports of the transistion so the shock cord can run through it. I then cut the 34" long 54mm tube down to 27." This is the main chute compartment.

main_chute_compartment.jpg

Now it is time for the finishing fillts, primer, and painting. Gotta love it :)

I am a little concerned about if the main chute (probabily a 32 or 36" chute) will fit in a 54mm tube. I know I can safely fit on in it... but not that many people take the time to fold a chute properly.

Back