Super Disappointed, learned a valuable lesson

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankMemes

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So checked my clubs website this morning for an update on the 2 day TRA research launch this weekend... come to find that not only was the launch scrubbed but launch operations have ceased permanently at the sod farm...

Missed a whole summer of launches usually because I was putting it off until I had certain rockets ready, or it was too hot or I was lazy...

Here I am wishing I got off my butt and made it to all the launches I could, learned a valuable lesson not to take my club and launches for granted.... fortunately I do have GRITS coming up so I can burn off some motors before a long pause while I find another regular launch site again.

Sad day at the sod farm for NEFAR flyers for sure. What was really sad was that they made the announcement the day before the 2 day event and many people were coming from out of town.

They were probably working right up to the end trying to make it happen.
Probably was the case. We were warned at the beginning of year that land owner was changing crops from sod to some kind of feed and that launches would be limited this year and they certainly were. They even made announcement that launch was a GO on Wednesday & then they dropped the bomb on Friday.

The news hit me pretty hard yesterday. I can't say I didn't see it coming but talk about bad timing. Hopefully the club can find a new field.

Sorry that you Guys lost your field. As a sport we are so lucky that so many farmers are kind enough to allow us to use their fields.

Guys. We went through this after NSL. We lost the field in Orangeburg. You have an open invitation to fly with us in Rembert, SC.

Might take you up on that, just got back from Alabama, so road trips are ok, just need the ok from the flight director

Guys. We went through this after NSL. We lost the field in Orangeburg. You have an open invitation to fly with us in Rembert, SC.

There’s a few folks from NEFAR who’ve been to your field and recommended it. Didn’t realize is was so close.

Condolences, Unfortunately I can identify with that situation.
I've seen the loss of several launch sites and more RC fields than I care to remember.
Hope you guys can find another one.
Do you know the circumstances?

I only have second and third had knowledge but have heard from reputable sources was that the crop was changed from sod to something else

Looks at the map, that’s no farther than I’m going to tifton for GRITS, so worth a shot... any decent hotels near by in case the family tags along?

Reason I’m kicking myself so hard was that bunnel is only an hour flat south of here, defintely a wasted launch summer

Also a disappointed (former) NEFAR flier looking to go to GRITS as a replacement for Bunnell Blast. I'm not on Facebook though, and I couldn't find what the waiver altitude is for this year-- I heard 18,000ft a while back, can anyone confirm this? Also, it looks like GRITS is just a NAR event so no EX motors, right? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the info Roy. With the motors I have on hand I won't be hitting over 7000ft, so that's no problem for me. I'll leave my EX stuff at home and pay a visit to the vendors when I run out of commercial motors.

That altitude plan is a good policy. Losing a field hurts. It took us a year to get a new waiver and field. That time was full of afterthoughts and second-guessing. You can not change the past, be we must always learn from it. Blaming, anger, and regret will not solve the fact that you do not have a field. Focus on the future.

Also poking around the NAR clubs listings looks like there’s a few low power clubs south of I4 might head down there for S&Gs as well

That’s got me interested, did a quick look on NAR looks like you guys at TTRA do a monthly with a 12 k waiver. Overlooked that one earlier

Thanks for the info Roy. With the motors I have on hand I won't be hitting over 7000ft, so that's no problem for me. I'll leave my EX stuff at home and pay a visit to the vendors when I run out of commercial motors.

Chris Short will be very happy to sell you the commercial motors you need, on site.

Back