Super Big Bertha plans or fin scans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len B

Old Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone have a scan of the plan set for the Super Big Bertha? Failing that, I am mostly interested in nailing a scan of the actual fin set. The nose cone and BT-80 tubes are easy enough. I looked at JimZ's site and Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe and cannot find these. Rocksim files out there vary somewhat with respect to the fin sizes. I'd like to get it as close to original as possible. My goal is to build one with interchangeable motor mount sets.

Len Bryan

Here's a link to JimZ's plan of the Broadsword:

https://www.dars.org/jimz/est2093.htm

The Broadsword is *exactly* the same rocket as the Super Big Bertha with the following minor exceptions: In the Broadsword, the engine block is moved forward 1" and an E engine hook is used (rather than strictly a D setup in the Super Big Bertha.) The other difference being (obviously) the packaging, decals, and paint.

Other than those two differences, they are exactly the same. Fins, reinforcing strips on the fin roots, the stuffer tube, airframe length, the whole nine yards. Just use the fin template from the Broadsword plans and you should be all set.

I had always wondered if there was any difference between those two, or if Estes had simply tried to pump some new life into a pile of old kits by redecorating them and re-releasing.
I had never noticed the difference in the motor mount. Thanks for the info.

BTW, is there anyone out there who makes decal sets for either? (or both?)

Thanks for the confirmation on the Broadsword. I thought it was close but I wasn't sure if it was a direct hit. Best that I do the Super Big Bertha as our club already has a Broadsword "junkie". :)

I got other direct replies as well.

Thank you to all who replied.

Len Bryan

Originally posted by powderburner
I had always wondered if there was any difference between those two, or if Estes had simply tried to pump some new life into a pile of old kits by redecorating them and re-releasing.
I had never noticed the difference in the motor mount. Thanks for the info.

BTW, is there anyone out there who makes decal sets for either? (or both?)

TangoPapa has the Broadsword on his web page available for $9 a sheet.

I have a Super Big Bertha still in the shrink wrap - I bet I could be coaxed into opening it (I'm going to build it eventually anyway), scanning the decals, and sending the scans to Astronboy. Fred is pretty darn good at making up decals that way (I fully endorse his work.)

Back