Super Big Bertha on E's?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance in AK

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Super BB on Estes E9s?
I'm getting ready to put mine together & was looking at the pile of E9s everyone says not to use in my 4"V2 & thought hmmmmm.
I'm sure someone has done this & was wondering how it flew.
Also, & forgive my ignorance here, but if I were to make the conversion, here's my plan. Please correct my mistakes.
I intend to use the motor spacer from my V2 to put the motor stop in so that the spacing will be for Es. I'll use the V2 adapter if I want to use Ds.
Now the big Question. Can I cut off the upper hook on the Motor retainer so the Es can go past it, or do I need to put in an "E" hook. The only accessories my local shop stocks for rockets are motors, so I would need to order the hook.
Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.
Vance in AK.

Vance,
your on the right track ..just put the engine block in to fit the E motors..there is more than ample motor tube sticking out of the Super Big Bertha to simply tape the motor in..If your wanting the engine hook, either get an E engine hook or, modify the D engine hook by cutting off the tang or straightening it out ...If you modify the D engine hook tho, make sure its really attached well and won't loosen up later on

Personally, I think tape is more than efficient for the SBB.

The ideal current Estes kit for the E9 motor is the Big Daddy...they were made for each other!

The Super Big Bertha doesn't weigh much more.

sandman

..I forgot ...My SBB is stock, and It flys VERY well on the E9

Originally posted by sandman
The ideal current Estes kit for the E9 motor is the Big Daddy...they were made for each other!

sandman

Would I have to mod my Big Daddy for E9's? Similar to above?

Stephen

Nothing special.

Just add an "E" engine hook.

Our own flying_siverado carries them.

Or make your own from the metal inserts inside of an old windshield wiperblade.

Just go to a service station (are there any of those left???) and ask for an old one out of the trash.

Ho, yeh, I always lengthen the shock cord a lot too!

sandman

Flying Silverad, I really appreciate the offer & will take you up on it!
I'll make it up to you one of these days when I get around to ordering some nomex heat shields from you.
I'll start with the fins on this one & wait do the motor mount & body tube after I get the hook.

Thanks a million. You can definetly count me as a future customer.

The Address is,
Vance Wonser
P.O. Box 176
Kenai, AK. 99611

Hi Gang, I launched my Super BB using an AT E15.... but I wasn't thinking and the 7 sec delay was too long. N/c ejected about 10 feet above ground, allowing the tube to really take a superb core sample. see below:

Got to disagree Sandman, the first rocket I built for the E9 was a Fat Boy ... They were made for each other! The Big Daddy was made for a G64 or two! That said, I am building one of each in 54 mm, may do a minimum diameter 3" Big Daddy! :D

Originally posted by astronboy
Hi Gang, I launched my Super BB using an AT E15.... but I wasn't thinking and the 7 sec delay was too long. N/c ejected about 10 feet above ground, allowing the tube to really take a superb core sample. see below:
Ouch.

Myself, I think the plain old fashioned regular sized Big Bertha does pretty nicely on E9s providing the winds are calm and the chute is small. I will also echo the sentiment on the Big Daddy: it is the perfect E9 model. The extra extension of the motor mount into the body tube does mean less space for chute/wadding/shielding, however.

Here is a minimum diameter Bertha clone on a J something. When the LCO pushed the button on that one he didn't say "launch", he said "BANG!!", and then it was gone.

E9 is perfect for the Super Big Bertha. E15-7 shoulda worked.. probabily turned out to be a E15-10 or E15-13. You have to love Aerotech Bonus delays...

One time boy scouts came to a launch with a NCR Patriot, and needed a motor to fly it with. I had a G64-10W, but I thought 10 seconds is a bit long, so I trimed it down to approx 7 sec. 12 seconds after burnout, the chute ejected... gotta love it...

Originally posted by astronboy

Boy, that was a sad one to see. She went up real straight and true... only to come down real straight and true... :(

Did you ever have that core sample analyzed ;)

Regards,
Todd

Back