Super Big Bertha Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to do that too: no paint till it returned from a [successful] launch!

Yeah--I went out yesterday and bought about forty dollars of paint and stuff. Now I gotta paint:

Super Big Bertha
Doorknob
Der Big Red Max and a
Nike Smoke

I should have spent extra and got the Tree Repellant additive. Here's hoping for more flights!

[spray] paint is a collector's item..
  • cans accumulate, with only a bit left in each
  • colours multiply; shades, and in multiple cans of the same colour: "Oh, forgot I had a can of this.."
  • new brands discovered; Krylon, Rustoleum, Duplicolor, Liquidex, Sabotaz, Montana, Testors, Tamiya, etc..
  • formulas change
  • Laquers vs enamels vs clears vs ..

and before you know it, you have 40+ cans..

An F 16-6 Estes black powder.

Was a good launch day---seven or eight launches with four different rockets and got every one back to fly another day. that doesn't happen all the time!
Just don't fly it that angle of attack on a windy day. It weathercocks like crazy. Mine zippered on its first flight and angered into a creek on its 2nd; the ejection charge went off after it hit the creek. On a windy day use a high impulse engine, launch it straight up and use a chute release.

Just don't fly it that angle of attack on a windy day. It weathercocks like crazy. Mine zippered on its first flight and angered into a creek on its 2nd; the ejection charge went off after it hit the creek. On a windy day use a high impulse engine, launch it straight up and use a chute release.

Yeah---that's sound advice.

I launch into the prevailing winds at about 80--85 degrees because my ambitions have almost out grown my brother-in-law-'s pasture where I fly. I'm up to E and F and F composites now. No more of that A B C sized engines. I was a kid when I did those!!

But this was a perfect, clear, calm day and, happily, weathercocking was not an issue.

Update: My Super BB is now painted and ready for the decals. She better be good for a dozen or more flights like this one!!

[spray] paint is a collector's item..
  • cans accumulate, with only a bit left in each
  • colours multiply; shades, and in multiple cans of the same colour: "Oh, forgot I had a can of this.."
  • new brands discovered; Krylon, Rustoleum, Duplicolor, Liquidex, Sabotaz, Montana, Testors, Tamiya, etc..
  • formulas change
  • Laquers vs enamels vs clears vs ..

and before you know it, you have 40+ cans..

My problem with spray paint cans accumulating is that half of them go bad on me.

Back