Super Baby Bertha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Question below -- can I include a base-drag cone on simulation for a Super Baby Bertha?

I posted in the "What I did today" thread that I finally assembled my Super Baby Bertha earlier this week. This is a really simple build -- I CNC'ed the fins and centering rings + 3D printed a simple motor retainer, engine block, and top centering ring / stuffer tube block (I bought BT-80 body tubes and picked up a couple of stock Super Bertha Nose cones to make it extra simple). I decided to make the fins with 2mm plywood instead of the much thicker balsa that the Super Big Bertha comes with. I am guessing I will get some fin flutter but not planning on putting anything bigger than an E12 in this (more likely a D12). I also cut my centering rings from the same material. I am guessing that 1/8" plywood is much stronger but once everything is glued together this seems quite rigid (and 2mm plywood is super light). I also decided to use a stuffer tube to help keep my parachute forward and to make it easier to pack wadding in (hence the 3D printed forward centering ring). Finally, I left the BT-80 tube stock length even though that is like 2cm longer than is should be for the Baby Bertha. Came out to 155g w/ CG at 29.5cm with a parachute but no motor.

1651581501191.png 1651581625811.png 1651581767227.jpeg

This morning was weighing and finding CG etc... to check stability when fully loaded. Is it appropriate to put a base-drag cone on simulation for this model? It is not really as short and stubby as some rockets but my configuration was suggesting I might need some nose weight. I am pretty sure that the Bertha's are pretty darn stable so was guessing that OR was being conservative.

1651580958381.png

Here is the sim without the base-drag cone...

1651581012108.png

Last edited:
Probably can use the base drag cone. I added nose weight to mine and it has a baffle. Definitely a bit over stable and likes higher initial thrust motors.

I think you’re ok - considering that a Super Baby Bertha is pretty much a stretched Mega Mosquito, which flies great on Estes 24mm E motors, your design should work at least as well.

I missed this thread when originally posted. What a great idea ! Big Bertha is my all time favorite, I will def make one of these Super Baby B's ! Thanks

I missed this thread when originally posted. What a great idea ! Big Bertha is my all time favorite, I will def make one of these Super Baby B's ! Thanks

You can find printed nosecones that fit LOC 3.9 tubes on ebay. Super Duper Baby! I got one recently, but it's going on an upscale Alien Space Probe.

Super Baby Bertha launched great today. I figured I would go with an Estes Nylon chute to give it a bit more weight up front but probably did not need it. This was on a D12-3. 24mm can also launch on E12-4 which would give it a bit more altitude. I think key is keeping centering rings and motor mounts light.

Super Baby Bertha launched great today. I figured I would go with an Estes Nylon chute to give it a bit more weight up front but probably did not need it. This was on a D12-3. 24mm can also launch on E12-4 which would give it a bit more altitude. I think key is keeping centering rings and motor mounts light.

Very nice!

Mine loves E30s :)

Latest posts

Back