Sunward Sukhoi SU-47 Interceptor - mini review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc

Reaction score
lalligood gave me an extra copy of this kit that he had (THANX! again Lance!) and
I submitted a full review to EMRR. Here's a summary...

Sunward Sukhoi SU-47 Interceptor
https://www.sunward1.com

The SU-47 is another in the line of 'fighter aircraft' rockets from Sunward Aerospace
Group, LTD. The kit is 27 inches long with a 12 inch wing span and recovers under
parachute. This is an interesting model and will make a good impression with the 'X-planes'
crowd and garner many 'oohs and ahhs' on the field.

Construction rating: 4 - 1/2
Flight/Recovery rating: 5
Overall rating: 4 - 1/2

The model includes two bags of parts to build the rocket with either a 18mm motor
mount or 24mm mount. My kit was missing the 18mm tube, but had all the other parts
for that motor option. I highly recommend building with the 24mm mount and using an
adapter for the smaller motors.

The instructions, despite being printed in two languages, are laid out well and easy to follow.
Simple, yet clear and helpful illustrations abound.

The SU-47 is rated as a Skill level 3 kit, but most builders with a bit of experience should
have no trouble with the assembly. By staggering sub-assemblies and glue drying, I was able
to complete the primary construction in just a few hours.

One major deviation from the instructions I made was to glue all the wing segments (6 pieces,
3 for each side) on flat surface covered with a sheet of wax paper. The instructions show
gluing the wing segments to the body tube individually, which could easily lead to frustration
and misaligned parts.

The exposed edges on the wraps may experience wear and tear over time. I suggest strengthening
the edges with some CA or layers of white glue.

The kit includes laser cut balsa fin material. The heavy grain of the stock may present a challenge
to those modelers that prefer a glass like finished surface. Cardstock is used to reinforce the
vertical fins. Initially I wasn't sure about the reinforcements, but after painting and applying the
decals, it doesn't look too bad.

Illustrated directions for performing a 'swing test' are included. However, the kit doesn't provide
any clay ballast.

My first flight on a C6-5 was quick off the rod with a 90 degree roll turning the wings into the
slight wind. It climbed to perhaps 500 feet, arched over and deployed the chute just past apogee.
The very large surface area of the wings caused the body to fall horizontally, nearly in a glide. Slow
and soft landings should be expected, even if the chute were to tangle.

The suggested US retail price of $20.00 seems reasonable and a good value. The kit is made
from quality parts and construction is straight forward. Impressive flights are assured thanks to
the unique wing shape and rocket profile. I would certainly recommend this kit to anyone that
enjoys X-plane rockets or is looking for an unusual addition to their fleet.

I took an opportunity this morning to scoot down to my local middle school field to fly my Sunward Sukhoi SU-47 Interceptor. FWIW, I hadn't flown any LPR stuff there in nearly a year! It was really windy out (5-10mph with some strong gusts) but with NO ONE around, I didn't see having any problems recovering it within the field. I set up the pad on the upwind side of the field so that I would have as much room as possible for recovery.

I built my Sukhoi with the 24mm mount but modified the 18mm MMT to convert it into a 24-18mm adapter :) A little masking tape on the adapter & motor and everything was comfortably held in place until I removed it manually.

All 3 flights were on C6-3s. With the LARGE fin area, it twisted around on the pad to face the wind. The aftmost fin section acts very nicely as a standoff for the rocket when on the pad (and they stay far enough out of the way to not get any of the motor blast too!) The C6 doesn't exactly make it leap off the pad but it did a cool belly roll to look like it was flying on the way up all 3 times. It also wrestled against the wind because of the large horizontal surface area. The upward portions of all 3 flights were virtually identical. A great flier & look forward to getting my hands on some D12-5s!

Recovery is where each flight differentiated itself. First flight the chute (which I'd cut out the large Sunward logo in the center of to create a spill hole) took its time unfurling and brought it down within 100yds of the pad. Having the chute open a little late surely reduced the distance to retrieve it as well. Second flight I had rushed to pack the chute & somewhat paid the price. It became tangled in the shock cord & never opened. The body fluttered horizontally the entire time though & landed within the grassy field about 500ft away. I threw caution to the wind (in both senses of the word) after seeing the safe drag recovery...and packed it for the third flight WITHOUT the chute at all! The rocket gods must've felt that I was challenging them so they allowed a more vertical flight path on the way up (for what was certainly the highest flight of the 3) and then turned on the wind big time to make it drift. All I can say is thank goodness I chose to leave the chute out! It drifted a good 200yds easily! :eek: But it absolutely came down horizontal & safely too.

I don't know if I'd fly it chuteless on a calm day but it can certainly recover without one. The Sunward Sukhoi SU-47 Interceptor is an excellent LPR flier!

Thanks for the reviews.

As for the missing tube - not suppose to happen. Now all parts double checked to prevent it from happening.

As for building with 24mm and inserting 18mm inside, I have avoided suggesting this as it may lead to confusion.

I will take the suggestion of the was paper and look at in in the future.

As for flying without the parachute: yes it can be done. But I don't want to officially recommended it as it may lead to complaints regarding damaged rockets by the inexperienced rocketeer.

Back