Sunward Maverick pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
After a test flight in the primer state, I have finished the build
lots of filler and sanding

sorry I don't know how to post more than 1 pic per thread
I'll keep it short
heres the underside showing the intakes, I also upgraded to a 3/16 lug

I tried to make sort of a cockpit out of the "wart-like" canopy
I think it came out decient , I used a silver sharpie for highlight

I upgraded the motor mount to a 24mm with "E" engine hook
and added 1.5oz. noseweight ...
just what the doctor ordered ,it flys like a dream to about 700' on an E9-6...once it levels off it sorta glides till the chute pops

heres a perspective pic, it's a sizeable rocket,larger than what I expected from the pics I have seen

No, I haven't been drinking, the wife caught me in mid- squint.lol

Another great looking bird Stymye. Some nice stuff coming out of your workshop.

I am in AWE of your craftsmanship.
If my projects came out half as nice as yours I would be happy.

Great job. Neat looking rocket. Yes, it does look large.
Really good job.

Originally posted by stymye
heres a perspective pic, it's a sizeable rocket,larger than what I expected from the pics I have seen

No, I haven't been drinking, the wife caught me in mid- squint.lol

I wouldn't have held it against you if you would have been.... hehehe

Great looking rocket! I have one in the bag. I really like your paint scheme. Much more creative than anything I had in mind as of yet....

That is a cool looking rocket. Nice job too!

What size is the main body tube?

sandman

thanks for all the thumbs up !
Forecheck it's a great rocket to try different ideas or finishes on,and by all means go with the 24mm upgrade, it's born for the E9 !

Sandman ,all the Sunward kits (airplanes) that use that cone are
bt-56

You did a heck of a job on your Sunward Maverick. You inspired me to pull one from my store and build it. I read some reviews on the Sunward kits and some of them have had some wild flights. Do you think the 24mm upgrade helps it to fly more stable?

Best regards,
Brian

I haven't tried or witnessed the 18mm version to compare it with , but I have seen a Sunward Icestorm fly with the 24mm mod and it also flys very well.
I can see where a person could go a little heavy with filler in an attempt to blend in all the tabs on the paper wraps, (like I did)
so the extra weight may be the reason for the wild flights on 18mm version.

Great job Stymye!! I don't see any fillet lines, it looks as though the tail fin and wing are one piece. How'd you do that?

I haven't purchased any Sunward kits, but the more I see others I think I'll have to try one.

Hey Stymye, I also noticed you're gonna build an upscale Yellow Jacket. That was one of my future projects as well. How big of an upscale and how's it going? I cloned the original, but I need to finish it(paint, decals, etc.)

the fin tabs/ wraps give the nice curve to the different areas
I used just enough filler to hide the edges of the cardstock.

the yellow jacket upscale is bt-60, I plan to shoot the primer on today

Back