Sunday back yard LPR/MPR launch w/MPR cluster...now edited with all pics posted!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusSRG

Reaction score
Well we've been fighting rain and winter precipitation weekend after weekend here in Charlotte it seems. My local club only managed a one-day makeup launch that I couldn't even attend. I needed to fly and today (yesterday:)) was the day. Beautiful sunny weather up in the 60's with light wind. I got a few birds prepped and headed to the field/park that's conveniently located behind my house. I also had my girlfriend's nifty Nikon P100 on hand to have fun with the burst feature and catch some launch shots.

310111.jpg
Today's arsenal: Electric Shadow, Mini Comanche-3 (2 stage config), Corkscrew

First up was my venerable Estes Corkscrew on a C6-5. Great flight right into the sun. Good recovery with minimal drift.

310113.jpg
Not sure why the photo was out of focus--still getting a handle on this camera.

Second was my Estes Mini Comanche 3 in two stage configuration (A10-0T to A3-4T). This rocket had a terrible first flight in 3-stage configuration--the full stack is too heavy for an A10-0T to give it a good boost. The stages all fired and it recovered but the booster got it only 20' up or so and it weather-cocked severely... This time I thought the single A10 booster in two stage configuration would give it a decent boost but it didn't. The booster lobbed her about 20ft up, she weather cocked, staged and the booster failed to separate and was scorched. Only maybe 100ft up, she lawn darted, ejecting a split second before impact.

310115.jpg
You can see that the booster is pretty much burnt out and the rocket is only about 15ft off the ground. I was going to upgrade the 1st stage to 18mm...looks like I'm going to upgrade the 2nd stage as well. The rocket is just too heavy for A10 boosters.

Finally I flew my "Electric Shadow," a modified, dual-deploy and cluster capable (1x24mm, 6x18mm) Estes Shadow This flight was intended to flight test my recently water-logged Missileworks RRC2 altimeter which I dried out and cleaned. She was loaded with a central F30-4FJ and (3) B6-4's, using a Magnelite cluster igniter for the composite ignition and Q2G2's for the blackpowder outboards. The B6's lit up first followed quickly by the F30FJ, which is very evident in the photo sequence. In photo 1 the B6's have just ignited and in photo 2 the composite has kicked in. If you look closely you'll notice the smoke plume on the pad is 2-tone...the left side is white from the BP outboards igniting first.

310118.jpg310119.jpg

The Electric Shadow climbed to 380', according to the RRC2. A little low, but she was heavy with the electronics, 2 chutes and 4 motors. The dried out RRC2 worked perfectly, deploying a 24" drouge at apogee and a 30" main moments later at 300'. I used that big of a drogue in case the altimeter failed and had to use motor ejection. It was a SOFT landing!

Well there's my wordy report, just thought I'd share it. It was a great Sunday afternoon launch!

Last edited:
Here's a few more shots from the launch! I finally got em to work.

More of the Mini Comanche mishap...
310114.jpg310116.jpg

Shadow business end with Q2G2's installed. The Magnelite igniter for the main motor is taped to the side of the rocket.
310112.jpg

Closeup of the Shadow boosting with all motors burning. You can clearly see the individual exhaust plumes. The B6's are almost done burning. I love these shots!
31011shadowclose.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, now I have this thread properly edited with the correct pics. Not that anybody cares:):) Enjoy the pictures. Comments/similar experiences about the flights are welcome.

...I need to stop posting in my own thread:D

Ok, now I have this thread properly edited with the correct pics. Not that anybody cares:):) Enjoy the pictures. Comments/similar experiences about the flights are welcome.

...I need to stop posting in my own thread:D
Your right,I dont care.
Pics are pics,parts are parts.
Anywhoo- Nice pictures and looks like ya had yourself a good time.
Same same weather wise up here in NH.Last few weekends been crappy for flying.
I too was able to get out this weekend and launch a few.
Lots of mud where I was.
My pics are here.. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48649-What-did-you-do-rocket-wise-today/page25
Posts 734 -735
NOT THAT ANYONE CARES!!! :wink:

Marcus, hopefully I don't jinx it, but this weekend is looking great! Not sure when I'll be able to get out there, maybe in the afternoon after my kids baseball practice. May try for Sunday too to get some flights in.

Your right,I dont care.
Pics are pics,parts are parts.
Anywhoo- Nice pictures and looks like ya had yourself a good time.
Same same weather wise up here in NH.Last few weekends been crappy for flying.
I too was able to get out this weekend and launch a few.
Lots of mud where I was.
My pics are here.. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48649-What-did-you-do-rocket-wise-today/page25
Posts 734 -735
NOT THAT ANYONE CARES!!! :wink:

Haha. Nice pics, you have some cool designs and a good looking pup too. My Lucy is a yellow lab...she's not warmed up to rockets yet, she'd rather sit in the truck.

David--the weather really is shaping up for this weekend. I'm pumped! Planning to put the full scale Arcas up on a Loki J712 blue. The Shadow will fly too...thermalite airstarts, anyone?? :D

Haha. Nice pics, you have some cool designs and a good looking pup too. My Lucy is a yellow lab...she's not warmed up to rockets yet, she'd rather sit in the truck.

:D
I think our (Sandy and I ) are going to get a Yellow Lab next time around the dog track.
I grew up with Black labs. And I have had a Chesapeake retriever. The funny part,my sisiter and I always thought "Lucy" would be a cool name for a yellow lab. :lol:

David--the weather really is shaping up for this weekend. I'm pumped! Planning to put the full scale Arcas up on a Loki J712 blue. The Shadow will fly too...thermalite airstarts, anyone?? :D
I'll have to come out and look you up. I'm going to try for L1 this weekend, have to get the Fantom built though. So much going on, so little time. Grr!

Yeah, come find me. I drive a tan 2000 Tacoma with a black soft-top camper. Can't miss it...look for the big white and red Arcas.

Looks like I'm going to go out on Saturday early, although looks like the wind could be a bit of an issue. Sunday is looking better, will have to see if the TRA powers will be there on Sunday so I can cert. Got thrown a curve ball, one kid has baseball from 1-3, the other 4-6(not the 11-1 I was hoping for!) Maybe I'll take my Space Shuttle kite with me...one way or another I'll be flying a rocket! :)

I may or may not go out Sunday. We'll see, it all depends on the weather. The wind and slight chance of precip has me worried. I need to buy some AP from Ken on Saturday though. I bet Ralph will be there. I need to check the weather and the ROCC site...

Back