SUMO fun

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocwizard

Reaction score
If you noticed in the other quik tube thread, I have started on my first BIG rocket. Being larger than 4" in diameter. A couple weeks ago I just got that urge to build something big. You know how that goes.:D upscaled to 7.5" in diameter, it is 78" tall. I debated for a while whether or not to do a cluster of a 3" central mount an 2 38mm, or a single 6" mega tube. I decided upon the 6" to give me more options for motor configurations later. Plus a 6" N sounds pretty appelaing!:D

After peeling the waxy layer off the quik tube, i test fit the kevlar sock. man this stuff fits TIGHT on a tube this big. I had to use the nosecone to taper it on. Even when it is highly stretched, it still soaks up the epoxy like a sponge. I now have to put on the two layers of glass. for the fins, I think I am going to test out some of that 3/8" carbon honeycomb stuff that giant leap has.

I have no idea when i'll finish this project, so be patient. I will post pics as I go

Maiden flight will hopefully be on either a single L850 or L1120, or possibly a cluster of some sorts

Rock...

Great job on glassing that BT...the Kevlar sock looks fantastic! Keep us up to date with your progress...

Once again, well done!!!

Carl

I wasn't aware the sock will stretch that much...may have known at one time. I'll be interested on your reports on the honeycomb material. I wanted to use some on my Upscale Big Brute but decided it was too expensive.

:confused: Rockwizard?

Are you sure that is not a model rocket Museum??? Because where you are standing looks entirely too clean to be a shop :D

Seriuosly though, great work on any one of those projects you have displayed. As you have stated the Quick tube got heavy quick...that is what I have heard from people that have used the Kevlar sock, because it needs so much epoxy to wet it out. Great work though.

...the fins for that thing are gonna be huge:eek:

Too bad the Skidmark Squirrel is not a certified load, as your "Bird" would rock on an "L" Skid.:cool:

(proverbial slap on back) Great Job!

it isnt certed but you can always stick an EX one in there. l love those Skidmarks.

Dude your shop is Immaculate. that thing looks pretty sweet though, good luck !

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I have been trying to convince David (and now you guys) that my shop is never that clean, my dad had me clean it up 'cause he was getting ready to wrap gifts out there when I took the pic. Plus, you didn't see the whole shop!:D :p

Anyways, after Christmas I will try to order the fins and some other goddies from Giant Leap. I can't wait!:cool:

Yea, is that REALLY a workshop? I'll get a pic of mine on here maybe tomorow....

I alos forgot to mention one thing. It hasn't really had a chance to get "seasoned" yet. THe cabinets adn stuff I have had for a while, but all the peg board and lighting and wiring, etc. just got completed abotu a week and a half ago. Now THAT was a mess.
Just give me some time and it WILL become a real working shop!:D
Really! Please don't send Tony and Vinny!:eek: :kill:

Yeah Eric... that workshop is still WAAAY too clean... I shoulda taken a snapshot of mine today, I just finished turning down the NC for the Nike Smoke -- it snowed in Southern California! Mind you, the snow was blue, and it wasn't real snow (just foam), but the garage was COVERED in the stuff!

And about the Skidmark thing... you were talking about a 6" motor mount... let's do an O sparky motor... I think I've got a formula just about nailed down :D

Keep us posted!

Blue_Ninja,

Second guy from the left is "Tony" and the second guy from the right is "Vinny".

I have them on speed dial!

You really want to post some pictures!

sandman

Please let me know how the honeycomb stuff goes as well. I might need to use that to build my L2 rocket to keep the forward swept fins from shredding again. I just gotta be able to thumb my nose at Mark Brown and make that design fly. :D

Uh... Yeah... hehe.... Don't worry, I will have the Pencam on LR mode so i can take plenty of pics in NM.

Man, i let this thread sit static for way too long! Anyways, not much has happened to the big Sumo, cause of some new design considrations i have been going over, due to certain outside influences:kill:. However, I have gotten some stuff done on my beefed up Sumo clone. I started a thread on it a while back, but i'm too lazy to dig it up, so i'll post updates for it here as well.

Anyways, after waiting forever to get the fins, i have gotten some construction done. I have the fin can, motor unit all tacked together. gonna start heavy reinforcements tomorrow. I can't wait. Its actually looking like a rocket now. It'll be ready for a K1100 in no time!

Here are a couple pics to tide you over till tomorrow:

Looks like good progress Eric...

how bout you tell em about the little "influenced" motor mount change in the big Sumo? Gee, it's similar to my idea ;)

Good progress... keep the reports coming!

okay, okay, i'll give you a "little" hint of where the big one is going:D

ok, so i didn't have any phenolic tubes to test the fit. Give a guy a break, after all, you are the "outside influence"!:kill:

That slotted one was the original tube for my matrix.:p

what are the sizes of the motors you put in the cluster?

It looked small in the picture, I thought maybe I had this confused with another SUMO upscale but then I went back to the first pic :)

Hey, you'd make the Gates Bros. proud! Check out their <a href="https://www.gbrocketry.com/sumo_upscale.htm">SUMO</a> (in case you hadn't already.) :D Sweet! Nice work! That bird is going to rock!

Not much to update on the big Sumo. Though i did sand the kevlar sock a bit to prepare to glass the tube.

The small Sumo however has witnessed some progress. I got the fin can installed and filled the voids with foam. If you noticed in the previous pics, there were a number of whole drilled in the tang of each fin to allow the foam to expand and 'lock' them in place. Soon i will carve the foam to install the aft centering ring. Then external fillets will be applied and tip to tip glassing over that.

Back