Suggestions on how to paint rockets.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xan2482

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Xan Schniederjans. I am 32 years old and from Lincoln, Nebraska. I would like some advice on painting my model rockets. My first model rocket is the Estes Galaxy Gold which I nicknamed "Goldie". I also have built Estes Alpha, Yankee, and Air Commander. I received Estes Alpha 3, Bull Pup 12D, Big Bertha, Dark Energy, and Astron Sprinter XL rockets which I will build soon. Your advice is mostly appreciated.

Xan

The key is a good couple of base coats of primer and then several light coats of paint. You don't want the can too close to the model so that it goes on too thick and uneven. Do your lighter colors first, then mask and do the darker ones. As to paint you'll get plenty of opinions. I have had good results using good old Testor's rattle cans but some will tell you Krylon is the best. And then there are those that will suggest airbrushing, especially for larger models. You'll have to see what works best for you. A lot of this hobby, not just painting, is trial and error as you will soon enough find...

Glenn

I do use Testors paint for priming. Thank you for the excellent advice. I will try your suggestions.
Xan

Thank you for the wonderful advice you have given me. I will use a base coat of white under yellow, orange, and red paints.

Xan

Do most pant the tubes and the fins then glue together or glue them together then paint?

In the model railroad world I would paint then glue but I didn't need to worry about the stress of being launched.
Thanks In Advance,
Joe

Glenn:
Without taking a huge amount of typing: If you will visit www.narhams.org in the library section under tech-tips
download Tech-tips-002-005 On finishing will take you through the entire process from bare Balsa and Cardboard to finished babies butt smooth finished models. These Tech-Tip where written awhile ago but are up-dated frequently adding new products and procedures.

Your questions are the usual Yes primers are best applied in several light coats waiting about 2-3minutes between coat. READ the label and stay within the recoat times listed. Regardless of make or brand "BELIEVE" the recoat times listed.
It is always best to start with the lightest color coat progressing to darkest. While Testor's , Pactra and other Model paints are just fine as far as the paint goes they are Super Expensive to use compared to most larger Rattle can paints.
Old Formula Krylon was a very nice paint, New formula has many issues, it sometimes doesn't even like to be second color coated with another Krylon color. Dupli-Color, and Rustoleum are in general better choices these days.

Rattle can , Airbrush or detail spray gun. All take about the same amount of time to get a decent finish. Actually the before paint preparation is more important then applying the color(s).

I was very impressed with your video on Simply Painting. I learned a lot from it. Thank you for the wonderful advice you have given me.

Xan

Back