Suggestions For Painting White Adapter Section of Gemini Spacecraft?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The bottom white adapter structure of the actual spacecraft was made from corrugated titanium skin. Any recommendations as to how to create that corrugated effect through a painting technique on my 6" dia. approximation of the spacecraft?

But I guess from 100 feet away on the launch pad, it won't really matter- lol.

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

Gemini-B adapter section.jpg IMG_1896.jpg

One method would be to actually create the texture by gluing small strips of balsa/basswood or styrene.
If you still want it flat but want to resemble the texture, than maybe try a sharpie and hand drawing them.
Or pin stripe tape from an automotive store could be used .

Last thought - print a shroud you could glue on the outside with the texture/markings. Or perhaps StickerShock or Accur8 could provide a vinyl piece to add on....

I used 1/8th square lengths of Plastruct to do the interstage of my Saturn V.
230876-a442cff14fe1971e585cf88f962c8d23.jpg

Do it all the time for scale model aircraft. Chart pac tape, comes in sizes from 1/64th" and up. Just lay down the pattern that you want, spray several coats of high build primer, rust-oleum rattle can is great as it sands very well. When dry lightly sand down to tape surface and then peel off tape. You are left with a very nice panel line depression.

Do it all the time for scale model aircraft. Chart pac tape, comes in sizes from 1/64th" and up. Just lay down the pattern that you want, spray several coats of high build primer, rust-oleum rattle can is great as it sands very well. When dry lightly sand down to tape surface and then peel off tape. You are left with a very nice panel line depression.
Got a link for that tape?

I don't know what your project is, but I made a punch to make scale rivet heads out of. They are 1/16" dia and are made of styrene. Just glue them in place with CA. Think I still have abunch left if you'd like to try them. Dave.

Back