Suggestions for decal fonts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What fonts are you using when making decals? Most of the fonts supplied with Windows don't tickle my innards when it comes to rockets. Mainly interested in futuristic fonts, though all suggestions are welcome. Short, wide fonts suitable for rocket names on long body tubes? Screenshots or images of your rocket, and links for download, are much appreciated.

Https://www.1001fonts.com
Enjoy. 😀

I usually pick a new one for each rocket. There are a lot of good ones to be had there. You can filter for sci-if or futuristic or alien fonts or whatever.

I have not taken good notes about what font I've used on each rocket (need to correct that in the future) but a few that I know I've used are:
1694550370601.png
1694550388526.png
1694550413092.png
1694550666945.png
And lest I forget this one, which I found on 1001freefonts.com (also great):
1694551047287.png

I can provide images of where each of these was used on a rocket if you like, but no time to hunt it all down at the moment.

Last edited:
FHWA Series F, the widest of "Highway Gothic"

Attachments

• FHWA_Series_F_sample.svg.png
    FHWA_Series_F_sample.svg.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
Those are lovely.

Did you hand-mask around the fins on the Zephyr?

Also I'm guessing you used a cut vinyl mask on the DX3, since patterns match the nose cone?

Thank you Neil!
All of the paint on the Zephyr had to be hand-masked with 3M fine-line tape (the 1/4" wide stuff) to be able to handle the curves.
On the DX3, I cut out a single hexagon pattern, used it to trace the shapes onto the body (after the purple was sprayed), then masked off the areas between hexagons by hand also. The "DX3" was cut out using a Cricut, and the holo-vinyl is also Cricut brand. Then I just hand-cut some vinyl fin flashes, and a few more hexagons for some added interest. :)

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I actually have some photos of a painting a similar hexagon pattern on an electric, foam RC airplane I built a while back. Maybe it can inspire someone!

1694626204192.jpeg

1694626214352.jpeg

1694626226548.jpeg

A bit more info as I waste my time looking at sci-fi and alien fonts on the different sites.
  1. dafont.com and 1001freefonts.com have better selections of sci-fi fonts.
  2. 1001fonts.com has by far the best set of alien fonts.
  3. If you create an account on 1001fonts.com, it gives you the ability to favorite the fonts you like best, for easy access later on. I can't find any equivalent on the other sites (I created an account on dafont.com but it's not giving me much of value, and 1001freefonts.com doesn't seem to offer accounts at all).

Back