Quantcast

Suggestion: "FAQ" forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

lalligood

Reaction score
After reading the (what is soon to become a "required reading") thread started by Sandman entitled "Scale 101", I would like to propose an FAQ forum where NO ONE can START a thread there (but could have additional posts made to) but threads of significant use & importance, as decided by the moderators (or perhaps voted on by all members with a poll), be kept so that they can be easily referenced to point someone to. Other examples would include topics/questions like:

* What is a good starter kit?
* What is a good Level 1 kit?
* How do you upscale/downscale ____(kit name)____ ?

As a proud member of TRF for over a year now, I have seen my share of threads such as these started over & over with increasing frequency, especially over the past few months. I'm not trying to squash any discussions but offering a suggestion to further enhance the access of information here on TRF.

jetra2

Reaction score
You smart, Lance!

I'd go for a forum like this any day!

Jason

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Great idea!

You've got my vote :D

Phil

powderburner

Reaction score
if it is not too much trouble for the moderators/sponsors to keep up with

they are already keeping TRF going on their good will and generosity, I hate to ask for more if I can't pitch in and help in some way to carry part of the load

KermieD

Reaction score
It is a good idea, and one I brought up before I got to be a moderator. However, the breadth of interests and the differences in techiques/design/philosophy make that a darn near impossible task. Some time ago, I asked for a "printer friendly" version of posts so I could keep a notebook. Milo was kind enough to grant that and it's been an invaluable resource, because I can now keep a binder with the stuff I find important--and I get the bonus of having the notebook right next to my workbench! :)

eugenefl

Reaction score
My experience with FAQs is that they make the people that have been around for a while good. New rocketeers joining up typically ask a question to "test the waters" and see who's out there and generally skip right over FAQs. FAQs are great for technical reference (ie - working on a car, building a wooden deck, assembling a computer, etc). This is more of a community where I think a newcomer would feel much more welcomed if their question was simply answered as opposed to directed towards the FAQ forum. Perhaps if there was a large influx of rocketeers overnight it might be necessary, but I think the steady trickle of questions is a good thing.

Now, if we can only get people to ask questions in the right forums....

Latest posts