Suggested first cluster kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'd like to try a clustered rocket. I'm starting to build my high-amp multi-clip controller for this. (Gotta have ground equipment first...)

Any suggestions for a first kit for clustering? 2 or 3 engines, easy to build, would be desired. I don't need crazy power for this, something taking 18mm A/Bs or even 13mm 1/2As would be fine for me.

Thanks!

Perhaps there's some miscommunication about what you're looking for. It's a two engine 18mm cluster rocket that's easy to build. If you're looking for something more specific, perhaps you should update your requirements?

Perhaps there's some miscommunication about what you're looking for. It's a two engine 18mm cluster rocket that's easy to build. If you're looking for something more specific, perhaps you should update your requirements?

While technically fitting the requirements, that's not exactly what I had in mind, which is my own fault. I guess it would be hard to communicate aesthetic preferences.

That's even more difficult than the Deuce's Wild!
PS erockets (Semroc) carries it besides Apogee.
In fact they carry an "improved" version.
Don't know what the improvement is.

I'd like to try a clustered rocket. I'm starting to build my high-amp multi-clip controller for this. (Gotta have ground equipment first...)

Or, order one of these:
https://www.rocketarium.com/Launch-Equipment/Cluster
Any suggestions for a first kit for clustering? 2 or 3 engines, easy to build, would be desired. I don't need crazy power for this, something taking 18mm A/Bs or even 13mm 1/2As would be fine for me.

Pick one:
https://www.erockets.biz/search.php?Search=&search_query=clusterhttps://www.siriusrocketry.biz/isho...id=mtuom36c80qcnogdp2q2lutav3&keyword=cluster

I have to say I was looking at Rocketarium's Trident T117-13. Uses 13mm engines, so low-cost and size. Good for my limited field space.
The Rocketarium is a good place to start. But before you place the order, I have a few things to consider for. Start with a 2 engine (18 mm) cluster that can fly on A, or B motors. If you start with something heavy you might have to upgrade your launch pad. Take something small in diameter with a sharp point, think small ice pick, and lightly scratch the propellant. This insures that if the clay nozzle has completely covered the propellant during manufacture it will now be exposed. (Very old tip.) Finally, use a 12 volt launch controller. The more motors, the more important this is. You can purchase one from Pratt Hobbies or Apogee.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

re: The ground controller, I am aware I could buy one, but part of my enjoyment of the hobby is building my own things. I will be building a 12V, motorcycle-battery powered controller with clip-whip and relevant safety features.

Loc, viper 3 is a great beginning rocket. 3, d-12 make a nice flight.

The blackbird in that post is fascinating. I haven't done a thing with gliders, but I'm impressed someone made a SR-71 look-alike.
If you are looking for a nice SR-71 -like model rocket glider kit that is NOT remote controlled, check out Apogee SR-72 DarkBird

Back