Suggest me kits for an 11-year-old and a 6-year-old with zero prior rocket-building experience

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a bigger rocker, the Quest FALCON is a good choice . . . 18mm motor mount.

Get a couple for yourself, too, and upgrade to a 24mm motor mount or, if you like, install a 29mm motor mount for a "Poor Man's NIKE RAM" ( add a payload section ), with 4 fins vs. 3 !

https://www.acsupplyco.com/quest-aerotech/quest-1009

Dave F.

1684937130536.png

1684937152024.png

I’m biased, but another vote for the FlisKits DooDad, Thing-a-ma-Jig or Whatchamacallit. The JigTech fins give the builder experience with real wood (balsa or bass) and virtually all the convenience of a fin unit.

https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/doodad/https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/whatchamacallit/https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/thing-a-ma-jig/
from there you can advance on to other FlisKits with old school fins glued to side of rocket, to learn that skill, then cut your own fins for the next lesson…. Good stuff there 😁😁

Hey all.

So my nephews are coming to visit. Last year we launched some of my smaller birds in the park, and they loved it. This year I'd like to help them build their own. As indicated in the title, ages are 11 and 6. I would appreciate suggestions on kits that are age appropriate and could be built (minus paint) in a few hours.

Sharp objects are out of the question here, so anything that involves having to use an exacto knife is a no-go. Glue is fine, I'm just not letting them near the cyanoacrylate for obvious reasons.

I feel like the 6-year-old is going to be the harder one. The attention span there is about 30 minutes, tops.

Thanks in advance!
Tandem X launch set

If you want a bigger rocker, the Quest FALCON is a good choice . . . 18mm motor mount.

Get a couple for yourself, too, and upgrade to a 24mm motor mount or, if you like, install a 29mm motor mount for a "Poor Man's NIKE RAM" ( add a payload section ), with 4 fins vs. 3 !

https://www.acsupplyco.com/quest-aerotech/quest-1009

Dave F.

View attachment 582193
29mm motors in Quest 35mm tubing are especially easy for what would seem on the face of it to be a difficult pairing. You just make a couple of rings of nested BT55 tubing and BT55 coupler, then use the 1.21" OD heavy wall 29mm tubing. It's not quite as tight a fit as if Estes and Quest parts were designed to go together, but it works well. I've used holographic bird scare ribbon streamers in mine and launched them down-sun to aid in recovery. They fly out of sight and then come down as tiny bright flickering lines in the sky. Lots of fun.

20221122_215802.jpg
My niece, 8 at the time, building her first rockets start to finish with no real help from uncle. This is the 3-bandit set, and was a lot of fun for her to build and fly.
Tell ya one thing, if you are looking to really spark their building bug, let them paint and decorate the model however they like. Her first kit was a Riptide that I let her pick paint colors for. She chose purple and pink, and decorated with Shimmer and Shine stickers. That rocket has seen over a dozen safe launches, and is now retired in her room.

Hey all.

So my nephews are coming to visit. Last year we launched some of my smaller birds in the park, and they loved it. This year I'd like to help them build their own. As indicated in the title, ages are 11 and 6. I would appreciate suggestions on kits that are age appropriate and could be built (minus paint) in a few hours.

Sharp objects are out of the question here, so anything that involves having to use an exacto knife is a no-go. Glue is fine, I'm just not letting them near the cyanoacrylate for obvious reasons.

I feel like the 6-year-old is going to be the harder one. The attention span there is about 30 minutes, tops.

Thanks in advance!
Joshua,

So, what did you get ?

Dave F.

Hey all.

Thanks in advance!
I just picked up the Alpha 3 launch kit from Hobby Lobby for $20!! They cannot be beat on engine prices too, if you have one local id suggest going and checking it out. You can get about everything you need there, I picked up the Pro-series wadding too. It wasn't much more than the plain stuff, and I use 2 pcs max on the Alpha or similar sized rockets. I picked up too a hobby knife, glue, and a 3/16" rod for the rockets im starting to collect now. Check it out!!

I just picked up the Alpha 3 launch kit from Hobby Lobby for $20!! They cannot be beat on engine prices too, if you have one local id suggest going and checking it out. You can get about everything you need there, I picked up the Pro-series wadding too. It wasn't much more than the plain stuff, and I use 2 pcs max on the Alpha or similar sized rockets. I picked up too a hobby knife, glue, and a 3/16" rod for the rockets im starting to collect now. Check it out!!

Attachments

• 20230522_114012.jpg
    20230522_114012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
EDIT: I am already old and forgetful and now I am repeating myself too !

I realized after posting the following that I more or less said the same thing in May !

---

I thank Hobby Lobby and my Granddaughters for making a RE-BAR outta me :)

The Starter Kits were such a good deal that we bought two -- a Riptide Set for 7-yo Ellie and the Talon for 3-yo Evie ... and oh yeah, a Cherokee E for me to replace the Cherokee D I lost in the 70's at Tulley Stadium in Houston on it's first flight on a D-Motor :)

Dang ! I had spend a lot of time on that paint job :(

The girls learned about Drag Races at their first launch which is why we bought each of them a starter set !

-- kjh

Last edited:
EDIT: I am already old and forgetful and now I am repeating myself too !

I realized after posting the following that I more or less said the same thing in May !

---

I thank Hobby Lobby and my Granddaughters for making a RE-BAR outta me :)

The Starter Kits were such a good deal that we bought two -- a Riptide Set for 7-yo Ellie and the Talon for 3-yo Evie ... and oh yeah, a Cherokee E for me to replace the Cherokee D I lost in the 70's at Tulley Stadium in Houston on it's first flight on a D-Motor :)

Dang ! I had spend a lot of time on that paint job :(

The girls learned about Drag Races at their first launch which is why we bought each of them a starter set !

-- kjh
Oh its cool. I'm getting back into this and haven't really used the forum since about 2013 or so. So I'm finding all this stuff guys did in the past 10 years, that I've always do do to mine, and don't get me going on OpenRocket, amazing. After a tutorial I was fine with it. But I started like I said at hobby lobby it was maybe 45 bux! Well all puns Inteneded, but it really ignited the fire and but a boost under my butt! So it kind of took me back to when I used to build with my niece, lol. Unfortunately we don't right now, she's hitting 13, and into different things. And I don't babysit her like I used too 10 years ago, but im hoping she sees a few high power ones, and gets into it again. Thanks for the response! I really enjoy this sport, and its a great hobby for anyone even if you want just a cheap kits and some motors. Or if your sitting here with tweezers trying to assemble an Eggfinder mini, its all good to me!!

Oh its cool. I'm getting back into this and haven't really used the forum since about 2013 or so. So I'm finding all this stuff guys did in the past 10 years, that I've always do do to mine, and don't get me going on OpenRocket, amazing. After a tutorial I was fine with it. But I started like I said at hobby lobby it was maybe 45 bux! Well all puns Inteneded, but it really ignited the fire and but a boost under my butt! So it kind of took me back to when I used to build with my niece, lol. Unfortunately we don't right now, she's hitting 13, and into different things. And I don't babysit her like I used too 10 years ago, but im hoping she sees a few high power ones, and gets into it again. Thanks for the response! I really enjoy this sport, and its a great hobby for anyone even if you want just a cheap kits and some motors. Or if your sitting here with tweezers trying to assemble an Eggfinder mini, its all good to me!!
Maybe take her to a TARC launch and she'll see the college boys ( and girls ) flying rockets and that might make it kool again :)

-- kjh

Maybe take her to a TARC launch and she'll see the college boys ( and girls ) flying rockets and that might make it kool again :)

-- kjh

Maybe some day soon!? I took a break from it too, she's 13 now, lol. I might wait a few years then see if she wants to do it again. Great suggestion, I just joined the NAR today, after 33 years of wanting too. So maybe when she sees her Partizon go up on a G80, she changes her mind...

My 10 yo had his choice and selected the Estes AGM-12D Bullpup. Pretty basic rocket that teaches fundamental skills and satisfies a desire for scale subjects vs fantasy.
Put lots of clay in the nose cone. Get out of the way after launch. If the nose cone does not come off for some reason, that rocket is a true lawn “dart”.

Balsa Machine School Rocket or Estes Generic E2x (available at most Hobby Lobby). The Generic E2x is a lot more durable than an Alpha 3 which has rather thin fins. To be fair, the Alpha 3 is cooler than a Generic E2x.

Back