Suggest me kits for an 11-year-old and a 6-year-old with zero prior rocket-building experience

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
Hey all.

So my nephews are coming to visit. Last year we launched some of my smaller birds in the park, and they loved it. This year I'd like to help them build their own. As indicated in the title, ages are 11 and 6. I would appreciate suggestions on kits that are age appropriate and could be built (minus paint) in a few hours.

Sharp objects are out of the question here, so anything that involves having to use an exacto knife is a no-go. Glue is fine, I'm just not letting them near the cyanoacrylate for obvious reasons.

I feel like the 6-year-old is going to be the harder one. The attention span there is about 30 minutes, tops.

Thanks in advance!

For the young one -
Dragonite is great (fins snap into fin can) --
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo...el/skill-level-0/estes-dragonite-model-rocket

I also think the Skycruiser is underappreciated as a rocket (whole plastic fin can) --
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo.../skill-level-0/estes-sky-cruiser-model-rocket
For the older one Baby Bertha or Big Bertha are both classics that are fun. Can also do a Boosted Bertha if he is a bit more motivated and if a two-stage seems exciting (or a Mongoose if you want a slightly simpler 2 stage). Mini Mean Machine is also cool.

I recommend making or using a fin mounting jig for Berthas or other rockets where fins surface-mount on tubes. Makes attaching fins much less stressful for them and you.

Last edited:
Alpha 3 is safe glue only. Cut a streamer from a garbage bag, don't use the damn oversized chute. That's where I started when I was a kid.

I could juggle #11 exato knifes when I was 7 though.
I got rid of the 12" plastic parachute the Alphas come with, and substituted an 9" nylon one. This results in a lot less wind drift. An 9" plastic one could be made in an pinch from an plastic bag from Target, or an existing 12" Estes one (but you'd have to remove the shroud lines, cut down, then reattach them).

The Balsa Machining Service School Rocket would be a solid choice for both your young builders - the slotted body tube makes mounting the TTW fins quick and easy. Discount Rocketry has some great beginner kits - their Nexus kit is a no-glue style that just about anyone can assemble, plus they have multiple tube fin kits that work really well for first time builders, I used their Turbo kit for a summer library program build and fly several years ago and the 5-6 year olds did really well with minimum help.

Just an idea, maybe at least for the younger one or if time and attention-span are concerns. Years ago, when I returned to the hobby as a BAR, our youngest was still in the younger pre-teen years. I built up two Wizard kits, but before paint I got her involved in the project - one was hers and one was mine. We talked about how each of us wanted to finish our rockets, designs and colors, and each "decorated" our rockets, then launched them. Hers kicked mine's butt 😄😉, flying straighter and higher. Good times.

Hmmm ...

There is flying rockets and then there is building rockets ...

Most kids seem to like flying rockets.

Many kids don't have the inclination or the patience to build a rocket ...

FWIW, this is my recent experience.

I recently took my granddaughters -- 3 year old Evie and 7 year old Ellie to Hobby Lobby in April and Ellie selected an Estes Riptide ( ready to fly ) and Evie chose an Estes Taser ( almost ready to fly ).

I thought they were both ready to Fly but the Taser needed the fins to be glued on and the shock cord mounted.

And oh yeah, and I bought myself a Cherokee E and joined TRF and rejoined Tripoli and NAR and joined AARG and bought a Blue Raven and now I am in trouble with my wife :)

Both the Estes kits were part of a 'starter set', including a launcher so we could race rockets and then race to see who can return to the launch control area fastest.

Anyhow we've all had fun flying and racing our Rockets at Ellie's Elementary School.

Three Year Old Evie was intrigued by the process of 'building' her Taser and she's been following my 'Cherokee Eee !' upgrade and the work on retro-fitting a Blue Raven into three rockets constructed around an AltAcc 25+ Years ago.

Five Year Old Ellie would rather play with her Tablet ...

Anyhow, that trip to Hobby Lobby got me back into the game as a BABAR :)

HTH

-- kjh

Do not underestimate your grandkids.

My kids went to an elementary school that included cooking lessons for K and 1. That was mostly learning to chop carrots and handle a knife.

The kids had no difficulty learning those skills. Gotta make sure they know you trust them to do it.

The biggest trouble was the moms. They are so afraid of knives, and do not understand why sharp knives are safer than dull knives.

Indeed, my general statement about a progressive education: the most difficult thing is getting the parents to come along!

For the young one -
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo...el/skill-level-0/estes-dragonite-model-rocket

I also think the Skycruiser is underappreciated as a rocket (whole plastic fin can) --
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo.../skill-level-0/estes-sky-cruiser-model-rocket
For the older one Baby Bertha or Big Bertha are both classics that are fun. Can also do a Boosted Bertha if he is a bit more motivated (or a Mongoose if you want a 2 stage). Mini Mean Machine is also cool.

I recommend making or using a fin mounting jig for Berthas or other rockets where fins surface-mount on tubes. Makes attaching fins much less stressful for them and you.
Excellent, thank you!

Do not underestimate your grandkids.

My kids went to an elementary school that included cooking lessons for K and 1. That was mostly learning to chop carrots and handle a knife.

The kids had no difficulty learning those skills. Gotta make sure they know you trust them to do it.

The biggest trouble was the moms. They are so afraid of knives, and do not understand why sharp knives are safer than dull knives.

Indeed, my general statement about a progressive education: the most difficult thing is getting the parents to come along!
The 11 year old is a clever one, and I think with proper supervision would be ok with the knives. But… the 6 year old always wants to do what his older brother is doing. So we’ll keep it knife-free this time.

The Balsa Machining Service School Rocket would be a solid choice for both your young builders - the slotted body tube makes mounting the TTW fins quick and easy. Discount Rocketry has some great beginner kits - their Nexus kit is a no-glue style that just about anyone can assemble, plus they have multiple tube fin kits that work really well for first time builders, I used their Turbo kit for a summer library program build and fly several years ago and the 5-6 year olds did really well with minimum help.
Neat, I hadn’t heard of this one before. Thanks!

The 11 year old is a clever one, and I think with proper supervision would be ok with the knives. But… the 6 year old always wants to do what his older brother is doing. So we’ll keep it knife-free this time.
Not fair to the 11 year old! Little brother always ruins everything.

Take a chance, be the Danger Grandpa.

I have grandkids from 5 to 22 years old and am planning a "rocket build" when they are here this coming holiday weekend. I bought nine of the Estes 3 Bandits for them to build. For the younger ones I went ahead and glued the MM/Fin cans together, but will let them do the rest. Kit that includes three rockets is $15.99 at Hobby Lobby, so just a bit over $5 each. Plus you can order the motors from HL also. Total for one 3 rocket kit and one four pack of 1/2A3-4T motors was $35 including tax and shipping. Quick build, short time for glue to dry, and fast from build to the launch pad.

3 Bandits

1/2A3-4T Motors

For the young one -

For the older one Baby Bertha or Big Bertha are both classics that are fun. Can also do a Boosted Bertha if he is a bit more motivated (or a Mongoose if you want a 2 stage). Mini Mean Machine is also cool.

My Scouts (11-13 yo) each built a Baby B plus a Boosted B as a troop effort for a rocketry camp at FAR. Good choice and great fun.

This looks pretty easy

https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/doodad/
This is also. A pretty easy scratch build and has one of the most entertaining flight profiles you will ever see.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-to-pull-out-the-corkscrew.38719/#post-364436
The kit is no longer available, but can be built on BT-5 or 20 or 50 pretty easy.

Glue an engine casing (that fits tube of choice) to a flat board about 8 inches square.

Glue you lug to the tail end of the tube, make sure it is straight (can use a launch rod taped to tube as a guide. Let dry. Do NOT put in the engine block yet.

Find a larger diameter tube for the ring. Doesn’t need to be exact scale. Oatmeal cartons, Pringles cans, nut cans (Blue diamond almonds) etc.

Put the body tube on the motor on the board, straight up, tail/lug side down.

Put the outer tube up against body tube and launch lug. Automatic perfect alignment with the flat board.

Add an engine block that lets motor stick out 1 cm. Use either friction fit or external tape to the exposed inner body tube.

Add a T-bag shock cord, streamer, and nose cone and you are ready to go.

The rocket descends outer tube up. So it’s pretty rugged.

Tin foil pie pans, those microwave pot pie holders, and other plate or bowl shaped lightweight plate or bowl shaped thingies make great saucers. Use polyurethane glue and a little water, glue on a body tube of right length. If fire danger low, just go motor eject.

Otherwise poke a hole in top to vent the gases.

Please use zero delay motors.

/

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/couple-flights-today-da-bomb-and-late-st-patrick’s-day-saucer.167674/

number 1.JPG

all advice here is great, but i fear that you might cause ripples in the fabric of space/time by not starting with an alpha. i mean, baby bertha? that starts with a 'b.'

Last edited:
Might want to bring them to Hobby Lobby and let them pick. I think HL has Dragonite (at least they used to) and definitely has a number for the 11yo. Danger is they pick one that is beyond their skills and get annoyed if you do not buy it or frustrated if you do and they cannot build it.

My recommendation is something in the Alpha III vein - you don’t have to paint them if you don’t want to. I think Quest has an Astra, and the Estes 3 Bandits or Dragonite are also already molded in the face card colors. You could build and fly on the same day, a big plus for younger kids, like the 6 year old.

I second the Discount Rocketry Nexus (streamer version) for the younger one and it will certainly work for the older one as well. The BMS School Rocket (here), and similar, but incorporating some neat 3D printed parts, Socrates from RocketryWorks are also great choices, especially for the older one. The younger one, guided carefully, could likely do the RocketryWorks Socrates as well. All three of these are streamer recovery, so you can fly them higher on a small field. No knives for any of these, and for the Nexus, no glue either. One can be assembled in 10 minutes or less. All three are also good flyers, and forgiving of breezy conditions.

And there really is nothing at all wrong with the Alpha III or the Generic E2X. This latter, like the Dragonite mentioned above, is carried at Hobby Lobby stores, too. So if have those in your area you need not mail order.

Hey all.

So my nephews are coming to visit. Last year we launched some of my smaller birds in the park, and they loved it. This year I'd like to help them build their own. As indicated in the title, ages are 11 and 6. I would appreciate suggestions on kits that are age appropriate and could be built (minus paint) in a few hours.

Sharp objects are out of the question here, so anything that involves having to use an exacto knife is a no-go. Glue is fine, I'm just not letting them near the cyanoacrylate for obvious reasons.

I feel like the 6-year-old is going to be the harder one. The attention span there is about 30 minutes, tops.

Thanks in advance!
Estes Alpha III

Hey all.

Thanks in advance!
With the 6 year old just use a ready to fly rocket. He can help put waddng in, fold parachute, et cetera.

The “Prospector” RTF kit (colorful) is eye catching. Any of the shiny BT-56 Estes RTF rockets of yesteryear would work.

All of these are out of production though.

The “Riptide” RTF rocket and launch system kit is still in production. Easy to get locally at Hobby Lobby. The 6 year old gets his own launch controller and gets to push the button!

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...ting/Rockets/Riptide-Model-Rocket-Kit/p/34289
For the 11 year old how about a two-stage rocket kit? Add some fun factor.

The Estes Mongoose is an easy to build two stager!

Estes 2092 Mongoose Flying Model Rocket Kit,Brown/A https://a.co/d/eAikCWI

Back