Sugar Motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Reaction score
I have a friend of many years and fellow rocketeer he has been playing with sugar motors I told him we can fly them on our time but not when we have club launches am I wrong for saying that Im just thinking of saftey. Dose any one do sugar motors I know of a few but Id like some feedback on this please.

Nope, your right they are not NAR legal but I think you cna fly them at EX and personal launches all you want.

I think sugar motors may be allowed(at TRA EX launches), there is nothing that says they arent, just BP and micrograin propellants.

I fly sugar motors at our TRA EX launches, but you have to use Dextrose instead of sugar. It is a great propellant. Not as high of an ISP, but still is great. I have made everything from a C to an M sugar motor. www.inverseengineering.com has a great mixing method. Also James Yawn's website is very informative.

Johnnie Paul (JohnnieRocket) on TRF has a sweet tooth also :)

If you fly them at your own launches make sure you get the appropriate waivers and such...:)

Edward

Mega sweet-tooth here.

all are right, only TRA members L2 and higher are allowed to burn experimental "candy" at TRA ex launches. NAR currently does not suppoprt ex activities, so "candy" would not be allowed.

Any of the above links that others have posted will take you to multiple sugar propellant sites. The most informative of these is that of Richard Nakka.

google. and you'll get thuousands of pages of links.

Originally posted by Bowhunter
I have a friend of many years and fellow rocketeer he has been playing with sugar motors I told him we can fly them on our time but not when we have club launches am I wrong for saying that Im just thinking of saftey. Dose any one do sugar motors I know of a few but Id like some feedback on this please.

Coming from the paranoid perspective, you'd best not fly them at an event that would otherwise be covered by insurance. These won't, and using them under that protection could get the insurance cancelled. That is, unless your activity has coverage an an experimental rocketry event, because that's what sugar motors are.

On your own, you can fly anything you want as long as it's not illegal, and I don't think any agency has even attempted to consider these as such.

I'm planning on trying some, but never at a sanctioned event, and only with others who understand this is strictly experimental.

thank you for helping on finding info on moter casing for sugar moters

For you guys that want to do sugar motors, there is a forum devoted to them.

SUGPRO is the name of the group. Dave Muesing I believe is the owner of the list, or was. Go to Mr. Fiberglass, or google Mr. Fiberglass, and email Dave about joining the group. SUGPRO is an email only forum...and Richard Nakka and many others will be there to answer your questions.

The Rocketry.org discussion forum is a good one for the experimental rocketry. The conversation has been slow but is picking up now as people are finding it again. Matt from NZ is in there from this forum, along with others, recently participating in a discussion of Silicone based propellants. TRF technically doesn't provide for EX discussions, so if it comes up - point them toward Rocketry.org

https://www.rocketry.org

Peace :cool:
Mike

True, Rocketry.org is a good one for EX, it just needs more participants. Come on over and ask a question, some one will answer.

Back